Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wii U!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Im not trolling, I've bought every single nintendo console ever made
    It's so unfortunate, that if you say anything even remotely negative about Nintendo in any way, shape or form, you're automatically considered a troll. I hate that shit. Nintendo defenders need to get over it. Everything Nintendo touches doesn't automatically turn to gold. Nintendo has to put their pants on, one leg at a time, like everybody else. They are not Gods. They can make mistakes, just like any other company.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    It's so unfortunate, that if you say anything even remotely negative about Nintendo in any way, shape or form, you're automatically considered a troll. I hate that shit. Nintendo defenders need to get over it. Everything Nintendo touches doesn't automatically turn to gold. Nintendo has to put their pants on, one leg at a time, like everybody else. They are not Gods. They can make mistakes, just like any other company.
    To be fair, theres also people like that who are just as anal, er....sensitive when people say negative stuff about Sony or Microsoft. Like they say, you can satisfy some of the people some of the time but you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

I bought mine on release day and played through Mario U within the first few days. I haven't touched it since. My roommate uses tablet controller for web browsing nonstop, but in terms of gaming right now is king of useless unless you still play a lot of wii games. I does an OK job of making the Wii games look better on HDMI.

There mill most likely be a $50 price drop by the end of the year. I don't see it being any more then that though.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Who're you fooling? You're the guy that called Nintendo Direct's an act of desperation.
    I'm only stating a fact. They don't announce anything but Super Smash Bros U and that was during E3 prior to Wii U's release, but with the Wii U not selling to expectations they announce that they're working on a new 2D Mario, a new 3D Mario, a new Mario Kart, Fire Emblem x SMT, a new Yoshi game with video, a new Zelda, and Wind Waker HD with video, then they reannounced Super Smash Bros U. They listed all those titles, many without any media because they're desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwata
    This time, the plan is a bit different from a regular Direct, in that I’ll be talking about what kind of Wii U titles and services Nintendo is developing
    Why would Nintendo break from the norm if not for desperation. Most of those titles probably didn't even pass the concept phase other than "we need to announce games so people know they're coming out."

You're the guy who said the ZombieU ($500+) bundle for $389.99 was a crappy deal.
    I didn't know it came with a Wii U Pro controller and I replied to the Adventurer's post about it. Nice try though.

Finally, you keep insistently and insipidly bringing up (unprovoked) how bad Wii U sales are......
    This is a video game forum, the discussion is about video games. I'm just giving a monthly update whether the Wii U is still selling poorly or not. Not sure why you gathered Vita/Wii U information other than the fact that you're butt hurt. Everyone is well aware that the Vita has been the worst selling current console for the past 13 months.

If I didn't make my post clear enough, the quote was against both the Vita and the Wii U. The Vita having the worst current console sales in the past 13 months, including all the sales from the Wii U. The month the Vita launched the sales were still worse than the other consoles. The Wii U sales in one week, and one month if you were to add the numbers up, have dropped below the Vita sales. So against the worst selling system, the Wii U sales are less. Meaning the sales are poor. You get it now? Probably not. You're too stupid or too stubborn, or both. You don't want to admit that my post wasn't against just the Wii U, so you're bringing up whatever you can.

Got a question for you. Which of these three portable consoles might I play this game on?

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one, and I half jokingly said that I felt dirty when I did. I got it because I wanted to have it for the MGC to run some tournaments on it. I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise, so I'm probably about as objective as can be for someone who owns the system. Here's what I really think about...

The tech is awesome. The tech itself is far better than what I expected it to be. The large screen and the way that it interacts with the TV is really cool, and it shows a lot of potential about what can be done. I love the fact that you can essentially "dumb down" some games and play them just on the controllers. I've done this multiple times when I've been checking it out already. Very cool.

On the flip side, it both barely has any games, and the games that it does have are really not that high profile. Nintendo Age seems like a mini-game tech demo. It has some really fun stuff on it, but it all reminds me of flash games. New Super Mario Bros U is the best "New" Mario game yet I think, and that is in single player without any of the brick laying opportunities and stuff that there is. The level design is just great, and it has a bit of the charm of SMB3 which I was really happy to see. I've also got Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, which is supposed to be the best game on the system. It is outstanding, but it is about as outstanding as Sonic & Sega on the Xbox or whatever. It doesn't need the Wii U.

And that is the problem... the tech is amazing, but it is wholly unnecessary at the time. Like the Wii, no one has figured out how to take advantage of it. I think that they will eventually, unlike the Wii where I think it was never something developers actually figured out, but it sure isn't at that point yet. With new stuff coming out, unless they change that and quick, it's going to have a big problem.

And using the Wii U name was the stupidest decision. The Wii didn't have the greatest brand name - it sold TONS of systems, but didn't sell many games. I work at a middle school right now, and the majority of the students don't even realize it's a new console, they think it's a Wii update. It is really holding them back, and it is really their second totally stupid naming decision since the 3DS, which seems to confuse the parent segment of the audience at best which is a huge market for these types of things.

Unless you really want to play an outstanding Mario game, I'd wait until something niftier comes out in a few months.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    I work at a middle school right now, and the majority of the students don't even realize it's a new console, they think it's a Wii update.
    The fact that the console looks almost the same as the regular wii sure doesnt help. I dont remember a single console that launched that looked almost exactly the same as the previous, its just stupid. And its ugly too, it doesnt look "hi-tech", looks like the same old fisher price toy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    To be fair, theres also people like that who are just as anal, er....sensitive when people say negative stuff about Sony or Microsoft. Like they say, you can satisfy some of the people some of the time but you can't satisfy all of the people all of the time.
    See, personally, I could talk major shit about all 3 companies. They all have their faults. Unless one owns shares of stock in one of the big 3, or unless one can only afford a single system, I just don't understand the whole fanboyism thing. If you own stock in a company, then obviously it makes sense to "root" for that company, because you have a vested interest in seeing the share price rise. If you don't own stock in the company, then why place it on a pedestal ? Sure, if they do something cool, enjoy it. If they fuck up, then come to terms with it. All 3 of the big companies have done some really good things, and some really horrbile things. We need to hold them all accountable for the good, and the bad. Why give any of them a free pass ?

Again, if you own stock, it's understandable to root for a specific one to dominate.

If you're a little kid, and you can only hope to get one of the three consoles, and you're going to be stuck with that specific console for at least 3 or 4 years, I can understand why you'd root for that console, and you'd probably overlook that consoles faults, and you'd also probably overinflate the successes of that company. It's only human nature.

However, if you're a full grown adult, and you don't own stock, then you really have no business being an unpaid corporate shill for any company. Each company should have to work hard to earn your support and praise. Each company should suffer their fair share of criticism, when it's well deserved.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    The fact that the console looks almost the same as the regular wii sure doesnt help. I dont remember a single console that launched that looked almost exactly the same as the previous, its just stupid. And its ugly too, it doesnt look "hi-tech", looks like the same old fisher price toy.
    At least it doesn't take up half my shelf like my 360. The PS3 is huge too. I really appreciate the compactness of the Wii and Wii U.

The Wii is more boxy, while the Wii U has more rounded edges. The buttons are slightly different. It's black instead of white (unless you cheap out and get the lower version). You're just nitpicking. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I'd much rather look at the Wii U than the original Xbox, any PS2, or any model of PS3 that's been released. Since when is "hi-tech" defined as giant and boxy?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I have the 32gb deluxe one and love it. I might be a bit biased because I love Nintendo but overall I think it's a great system, the only thing holding it back is the amount of games available from both 1st and 3rd party. I know it'll change soon so no worries over here.
    We have it in the downstairs living room and I can take the gamepad upstairs to our bedroom and play WiiU mostly fine. The overall tech doesn't feel old or glitchy to me, only that the OS is a bit slow to respond and that is def not a power issue but a coding one. Miiverse is awesome and the (what I thought was useless before) forums are very cool, especially the drawings that others post and the liking system is easy. I still play my 360 and what I can in the MBP but anything that comes out new I am trying to get on the WiiU. There is also the increase in indie devs talking WiiU games lately.
    Id say go for it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

See, personally, I could talk major shit about all 3 companies. They all have their faults. Unless one owns shares of stock in one of the big 3, or unless one can only afford a single system, I just don't understand the whole fanboyism thing. If you own stock in a company, then obviously it makes sense to "root" for that company, because you have a vested interest in seeing the share price rise. If you don't own stock in the company, then why place it on a pedestal ? Sure, if they do something cool, enjoy it. If they fuck up, then come to terms with it. All 3 of the big companies have done some really good things, and some really horrbile things. We need to hold them all accountable for the good, and the bad. Why give any of them a free pass ?

Again, if you own stock, it's understandable to root for a specific one to dominate.

If you're a little kid, and you can only hope to get one of the three consoles, and you're going to be stuck with that specific console for at least 3 or 4 years, I can understand why you'd root for that console, and you'd probably overlook that consoles faults, and you'd also probably overinflate the successes of that company. It's only human nature.

However, if you're a full grown adult, and you don't own stock, then you really have no business being an unpaid corporate shill for any company. Each company should have to work hard to earn your support and praise. Each company should suffer their fair share of criticism, when it's well deserved.
    I strongly agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Console gaming is dying a slow death. I have little to no interest in the PS4 or the next X-Box as they are shaping up to be geared towards casual gamers and some really tight control on content. I think the Wii U us the opposite and is geared towards actual gamers. At least ones that are Nintendo fans. My one main gripe with the Wii U is the damn controller. I like it and it will most likely be the last console I buy unless things change. I honestly believe we're headed for another crash.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Console gaming is dying a slow death. I have little to no interest in the PS4 or the next X-Box as they are shaping up to be geared towards casual gamers and some really tight control on content. I think the Wii U us the opposite and is geared towards actual gamers. At least ones that are Nintendo fans. My one main gripe with the Wii U is the damn controller. I like it and it will most likely be the last console I buy unless things change. I honestly believe we're headed for another crash.
    There have been plenty of phenomenal console games released recently...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've seen classic gamers routinely stating that we're heading towards the next crash ever since I first went online and found my first classic gaming forum back around 1997.

Hasn't happened yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I've seen classic gamers routinely stating that we're heading towards the next crash ever since I first went online and found my first classic gaming forum back around 1997.

Hasn't happened yet.
    There are some interesting things going on right now that could make it a bit of a different story. Not for gaming overall, but for the console gaming market.

For the last 15 years, it's pretty much been all Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. There hasn't been anything else to threaten that trinity. Now you got Steam Box on the way, you have Ouya, you have Gamestik, you have the Nvidia Shield, Ipads, Ipod Touches...etc, etc.. What about Apple TV ? If Apple get's games working on their TV thing, it could be a totally different ballgame. Not a crash in the true sense of the word, but a dramatic redistribution of the wealth in the console space... The PS4, Xbox Infinity & Wii U could all be much more irrelevant in the grand scheme of things than console systems of the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

There are some interesting things going on right now that could make it a bit of a different story. Not for gaming overall, but for the console gaming market.

For the last 15 years, it's pretty much been all Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. There hasn't been anything else to threaten that trinity. Now you got Steam Box on the way, you have Ouya, you have Gamestik, you have the Nvidia Shield, Ipads, Ipod Touches...etc, etc.. What about Apple TV ? If Apple get's games working on their TV thing, it could be a totally different ballgame. Not a crash in the true sense of the word, but a dramatic redistribution of the wealth in the console space... The PS4, Xbox Infinity & Wii U could all be much more irrelevant in the grand scheme of things than console systems of the past.
    This is part of the reason I believe it's going to crash. The other part is the fact that companies are doing more an more to alienate their customers. Not being able to play used games, DLC not transferring, digital distribution, needing to be online to play games, etc....
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is part of the reason I believe it's going to crash. The other part is the fact that companies are doing more an more to alienate their customers. Not being able to play used games, DLC not transferring, digital distribution, needing to be online to play games, etc....
    I don't see how this would logically lead to a crash unless you mean that the traditional video game players will collapse in much the same way that Atari did in the 80s. If that's what you mean by crash, then I agree that it is highly likely given the rapidly emerging competition from other companies already in the digital media space. I frankly think video games are going to continue to grow in popularity, but the ways they are played and purchased are going to fundamentally shift in ways that old line companies like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo simply can't adapt to in a profitable way.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Aside from digital there's none of that on the next gen consoles. Maybe DLC not transferring, but that's a non issue when the consoles aren't bc to begin with. DLC is tied to an account on current consoles and can be transferred to other current consoles that use the same account. So same console to console it's transferable.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Console gaming is dying a slow death. I have little to no interest in the PS4 or the next X-Box as they are shaping up to be geared towards casual gamers
    Home TV consoles as they were in the 90's is dying, but thats because of the console makers turning them into low grade PCs. But your last sentence I am quoting I cant agree with since they arent out yet, and you have no idea what the systems libraries are yet.

The last thing I over heard on at the Nintendo booth at the gaming expo were these guys who I think were older than me, and they were just saying how the hardware wasnt good enough for them, but the games were nice to look at..........What I think if I cut through the words of people who say the WII U isnt good enough on the hardware side may be kinda thinking is "why should I buy this new console when there the Wii" Well, most likely these people will think that when they see new games on the PS3 and new games on the PS4.

I dont like the video screen on the controller since theres the tv turned on at the same time, but when we can play our games while someone else watches tv, so thats the great justification for it. Nintendo when you think of it has always made weird controllers. the NES and SNES controllers were always weird compared to other controllers out there. But people didnt start hating them til lthe N64 one, I like it though and I was surprised so many people dont.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought my Wii U on launch day and have enjoyed it for what it is right now. I bought Super Mario and Assassin's Creed and received Darksiders 2 as a Christmas gift. I really like the off-tv play on the controller. Games look better on the gamepad than they do on my tv to me. That said, I haven't played it near as much as the 3ds I bought on launch day. Even when I only had Street Fighter 4, I played the 3ds constantly.

As for upcoming games, Lego City Undercover is the only one on my radar and I won't get it until it hits $25 or less. Pikmin has never interested me, but I would have bought Rayman Legends immediately. Now, I probably won't get it in September because of other things going on (vacation and football). I do hope that Nintendo has something special lined up for e3. They need more than what they have shown so far. And, I am not talking about life of the console games, I am talking about this year. They need more for this year than what has been shown.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickerous View Post
    Bought my Wii U on launch day and have enjoyed it for what it is right now. I bought Super Mario and Assassin's Creed and received Darksiders 2 as a Christmas gift. I really like the off-tv play on the controller. Games look better on the gamepad than they do on my tv to me. That said, I haven't played it near as much as the 3ds I bought on launch day. Even when I only had Street Fighter 4, I played the 3ds constantly.

As for upcoming games, Lego City Undercover is the only one on my radar and I won't get it until it hits $25 or less. Pikmin has never interested me, but I would have bought Rayman Legends immediately. Now, I probably won't get it in September because of other things going on (vacation and football). I do hope that Nintendo has something special lined up for e3. They need more than what they have shown so far. And, I am not talking about life of the console games, I am talking about this year. They need more for this year than what has been shown.
    I'm thinking that the release of HD Windwaker, Rayman Legends, and (Fingers crossed) A 3D Mario game will really bolster the sales of the Wii U.