0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Default Multiples

I want to know what your thoughts are on owning multiples. I watch a lot of channels on You Tube where people will get multiple copies of a game because it was a good deal. They're intention is to use it to trade for something else. Now, I have a lot of multiples. I have different intentions though. I get them as spares and I do this with systems as well. I like to have one copy complete and then I like to get at least one backup copy in case something happens to the game. I never get a game that intend to get rid of. So, I never trade.

So, do you have multiple copies of games? If so, for what reason?
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't do this with games. Ever. Never had a single cart or disc fail on me.

However I do own many duplicate consoles. Considering consoles fail far more often than old carts, I tend to like having spares around. Also, I modify a LOT of them

I don't typically buy to resell though, unless I'm buying specifically for the business. I also tend towards broken or beat up consoles as dupes. I've really started to enjoy reconditioning and restoring older systems in the last year or so, and I find that I spend most of my game-related free time doing so.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I do have some doubles for some games. If I find a sealed game I'll buy another used one to actually play, or if one is in extremelly good condition I might just get another copy to play without having to worry about messing up my good one. Or I might have a few copies of one title if they're variants. Usually I don't plan on having multiple copies though.

I would pick up any good game I come across if the price is right, I do tend to trade them or sell them. Often I pick up good games to bundle with commons, it tends to be the only way to really get rid of common games. I end up buying bundles or small collections of games to get the titles I want, I end up with extra commons as a result.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I've purchased game lots and that's the only way I get duplicates but when I do I'll trade them for games I don't have. I don't see any reason to have several of a single game when you could trade or sell it and get a game you don't own.

But of course it's not my money so I really don't care what anyone else does personally.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

After buying many game & system lots over the past 10+ years I have accumulated many doubles. I plan on eventually trading my Genesis doubles to complete my Genesis set. All my Nintendo NES games I have doubles of I have no problem keeping, and unless I really need money I wont be selling them for a long time.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nearly all of the duplicate games that end up in my hands I intend to get rid of in one way or another. The only exceptions are that I sometimes want a second copy if only one save file is available per cart, if it's a handheld game and I want to link up for 2-player gaming, or if it's simply a game that's really special to me and I keep multiple copies for collecting purposes.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Life's too short to worry about a 20 year old NES game failing on me. If my copy of Zelda 2 stops working, well then, that will be that. If another comes my way somewhere down the line, it's all cool.

Insert Coin (Level 0) scaleworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I want to know what your thoughts are on owning multiples. I watch a lot of channels on You Tube where people will get multiple copies of a game because it was a good deal. They're intention is to use it to trade for something else. Now, I have a lot of multiples. I have different intentions though. I get them as spares and I do this with systems as well. I like to have one copy complete and then I like to get at least one backup copy in case something happens to the game. I never get a game that intend to get rid of. So, I never trade.

So, do you have multiple copies of games? If so, for what reason?
    Because I am an idiot, Obsessed with gaming via consoles, If the price is right, I buy them.
    I do have multiples, I confess, and yes I do not play them all, but have a great desire to do so, but IF an opportunity arises for me to get a BOX of games for pennies on the dollar ( 50 cents for Starcraft 64), then dude, I'm a Buyin' fool.

Money, via overwork and happy employment, affords my desire, and my mistress...she of the collector vice, is a demanding mistress.
    Game on!