Thread: Educate me on 3DO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Educate me on 3DO

I picked up a Panasonic 3DO console about a year back, but only have a few titles and haven't really played it much.

Any suggestions for some gems on this system, and some good games that won't break the bank.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AFAIK, it's region-free and CD-Rw friendly...

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I have a bunch of games and its really sad I only go to the cross platform games. uh... I like Battle Chess, Alone in the Dark, Samurai Showdown, Panzer General, Gex, Primal Rage, Myst, Super Street Fighter II Turbo and a goofy one Space Ace. Mostly cause I played em as a brat. they have Need for Speed and Road Rash. again most of these are cross platform. PO'ed is a funny shoot em up.

I am also looking to see what others like as I come across 3DO games a lot, but hesitate not knowing if its a good title. Most of the ones I have I got in a bundle.

BTW I have the R.E.A.L. Player thats square with the 4 cylinder feet. Which one did you come across? <--only curious.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It did have far and away the best console version of SSF2 Turbo until HD remix came out. I Think PO'Ed came out for other consoles but if anyone on the boards has done a version comparison I'd love to hear the results

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of 3DO games also came to the Playstation and/or Saturn, such as Gex and POed. However, I CAN say that the 3DO version of Gex is the definitive one; the big advantage it has over all others is that IT CAN SAVE; there's a few other graphical advantages to the original but not having to enter passwords every time you boot it up is the most notable plus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Well, Road Rash, and Need For Speed are awsome, as is FIFA, and Madden for the time. PGA 96 is another great one, and Captin Quaser, and i could keep going...Point is there is a lot of good games for the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I picked up a good number of 3DO games some years ago. SSF2 Turbo was the gnarly-looking one. The others - well, a lot of the really bad games (stop-motion or 3D or live-action fighters, not sure exactly what they are), most of the Shockwave games (I missed one because I thought it was a dupe, instead of an other-disc expansion), which are really slow judging from a 3DO emulator I ran, and then at least one classic in Star Control II (which might be the best version, not sure). Anyway - quirky machine with a lot of "so bad they're good" releases, a few genuinely good original releases (not sure how PO'ed, for example, stacks up against the PlayStation re-release, however), and the odd handful of ports and other things which have lesser utility if you like ports. SSF2 Turbo has some remixes though, I ought to pop it in for a listen sometime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    A lot of 3DO games also came to the Playstation and/or Saturn, such as Gex and POed. However, I CAN say that the 3DO version of Gex is the definitive one; the big advantage it has over all others is that IT CAN SAVE; there's a few other graphical advantages to the original but not having to enter passwords every time you boot it up is the most notable plus.
    How can you save games on it? Is there a hard drive, because I don't see any ports for memory cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Neither; the 3DO has internal memory. It's battery-backed RAM in at least some models (probably all, at least those that have the saving). You might want to look on the bottom of the unit for a small door for access to the battery; but it looks like at least on some units you have to open the thing up. It would be a good idea to open it up and replace the battery, otherwise you won't enjoy that game-saving goodness like in the old days. It's also just a good idea to remove old batteries in general.

Example 3DO board (FZ-01 I think, Panasonic model from the marking on the PCB):
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 03-26-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is 'Immercenary' any good?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

^Depends on your tolerance for mid-1990s cheese, and your willingness to put up with a steep learning curve (which gets dramatically easier as soon as you get a little ways into the game). Many people can't stand Immercenary but I personally enjoyed it a great deal, and it has its fans. Plus it's a system exclusive, and seems to have been programmed by people who knew how to manage the hardware well -- the main environment is a huge area with free roaming exploration and dozens of enemies, and the game is able to handle pretty much everything on the fly.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Thats one in my collection i havent played. Well one of a lot. Imma have to try it now. How long isWing Commander III? I have that but 4 cds seems like a lot to get into.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Demolition man has a certain charm about it that's hard to explain. It's quite terrible yet entertaining at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do the majority of 3DO games have FMV? Is FMV bearable on 3DO as compared to other systems that employed it like Sega CD and Saturn?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Do the majority of 3DO games have FMV? Is FMV bearable on 3DO as compared to other systems that employed it like Sega CD and Saturn?
    Most 3DO games have at least a little FMV. It was relatively new to consoles at the time so everyone wanted to show off something a cartridge typically couldn't do.

3DO definitely has better quality video than the Sega CD (and 32x CD as well). However, in my opinion, the Playstation seems to have better FMV. I'm guessing the Saturn would as well, but I haven't done any comparisons.

For example, take Starblade on 3DO and then the PSX version. The PSX version is much crisper with less artifacting. Now this is only one game; however, on paper, the PSX should beat it as well so I'm fairly confident in my anecdotal justification However, neither system, it seems, could handle the original polygonal arcade version which is why they were converted to FMV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I owned one for a short time and despite some direct ports from other systems it was okay to be honest,My fondest memories are playing `Escape From Monster Manor`,other games i would recommend are Road Rash, Quarantine,The Need For Speed,Space Hulk,Return Fire and Street Fighter Turbo.
    Last edited by jammajup; 04-04-2013 at 06:18 AM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    Thats one in my collection i havent played. Well one of a lot. Imma have to try it now. How long isWing Commander III? I have that but 4 cds seems like a lot to get into.
    I don't know about the 3DO version, but the PC version is 4 CD's just because it's filled with (primitive, very badly compressed) FMV. The FMV isn't used for gameplay but for cutscenes and conversations between missions, so even though there's a ton of it I wouldn't call WC3 an "FMV game". It's not really super long that I recall, though I don't know how well it would play with a d-pad, to really get the most out of it on a PC you needed a flightstick of some sort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    I come across 3DO games a lot, but hesitate not knowing if its a good title.
    Wow, really? It's pretty difficult to find any in my area. Although I'd say that I find 3DO games more often than I do a system like the TurboGrafx-16. Still the finds are few and far between. I end up buying almost any non-sports game in decent shape and at a fair price since they're so hard to source around Dallas. But it's probably been a couple years since I bought a 3DO game, which tells you what it's like around here.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only 3DO games Id want to play are Wicked and Lucienne’s Quest.

Heres some lists to help you out.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/3do/g...ve-multiplayer

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/3do/t...able-3do-games

If you have a DOS in your closet they had a device that you could buy and you could play 3DO games on your computer, dont know but maybe you can still play burned cd's on it. I hear 4DO is a crappy emulator but its still the "best" one.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    AFAIK, it's region-free and CD-Rw friendly...
    It plays cdr's, not sure about region coding though.

And I gotta post this gem.
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 04-05-2013 at 11:59 PM.