Half an hour after winning three IGF awards, including the $30,000 Seumas McNally Grand Prize, Cart Life developer Richard Hofmeier stepped backstage, stripped off his suspenders and over-the-shoulder gun holster, and said he wished his game would drop dead.

"I want it to die, frankly," Hofmeier told Joystiq. "I can't wait for it to die. People keep resuscitating it."

Don't get it wrong - Hofmeier was cripplingly humbled by the praise from the IGF, but he wasn't convinced he deserved any of it. After a big win, passionate creators usually speak of the post-awards high, of feeling unreservedly ecstatic. After picking up the IGF's grand prize, Hofmeier rode a different wave.

"Highs and lows I guess," Hofmeier said. "I had high opinions of the other nominees and I kind of want to share this with them. I feel like I've already overstayed my welcome with this game and I'd like it if maybe some of this esteem and elevation could go to some games that deserve it more. I already got so much more out of this game than I ever thought I would. I thought it would just be my friends and me playing this thing. The other games are so well-made."Continue reading Trespassing at the IGF awards: Cart Life dev directly after his big win
Trespassing at the IGF awards: Cart Life dev directly after his big win originally appeared on Joystiq on Fri, 29 Mar 2013 18:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments