Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did Nintendo's stranglehold end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default When did Nintendo's stranglehold end?

Everything I have read is that Nintendo essentially killed Sega's Master System and Atari's 7800 by use of their tight non-compete clauses for devs and publishers. So this got me wondering: When did Nintendo's infamous contracts cease their strangling effect upon the competition? Look at Sega and the Genesis system and they had 3rd parties like Acclaim and Capcom on board even as those companies released titles for the NES. Hudson had their own system, the PC Engine, even as they released titles on NES. By the time PSX came along, it seemed that 3rd party developers freely roamed from console to console. So when did Nintendo's official stranglehold on 8/16-bit devs/publishers come to an end?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It was done in by the success of the Genesis. I think they began to relax those restrictions around 1991.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think people did get sick of Nintendo`s tight grip,i have listened to a few podcasts were game designers and programmers have been interviewed and it did sound quite restrictive. I would agree it changed a lot by the 16-bit era ,i think one of the most interesting things was the patent on the `+` D-pad because i always preferred the cross pad as it seemed more accurate than the Sms and Megadrive pads which after a while would become dirty and inaccurate (pushing left would go left up or left down).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thankfully they've never relaxed on keeping that D-Pad design of theirs out of the hands of the competition as it's like a really perfect design that's comfortable and easily rocks into 8 different positions. The stuff the others did was loaded with stiff controls, weird textures, and odd designs that just wrecked your thumb a whole lot faster and for some just has no precision at all.

Nintendo's grip slipped as a combo of the Genesis being on the market a couple years and people finally catching onto it, and the fact they kept getting sued and screwed with by third parties fed up with their contractual bullshit and overkill censorship policies. Mind you that's console only, it's a whole other matter of debate on the handheld arena as the DS thoroughly cleaned the PSPs clock and the 3DS is doing it again this go around too despite the growing tablet/phone market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Thankfully they've never relaxed on keeping that D-Pad design of theirs out of the hands of the competition as it's like a really perfect design that's comfortable and easily rocks into 8 different positions. The stuff the others did was loaded with stiff controls, weird textures, and odd designs that just wrecked your thumb a whole lot faster and for some just has no precision at all.
    I personally find the genesis 6 button d pad very comfy.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N64 era. Genesis got alot of support from third party developers, but when Nintendo stayed with cartridges and the PS got Final Fantasy games, the writing was on the wall. If the Wii hadnt had motion detection I think Nintendo would only be focusing on handheld consoles by now. If the Wii U fails, then Nintendo can just keep going with the handhelds and put their own games on the next one that is released.

If Nintendo wants to make a comeback they have to be humble and be kinder to third parties. Them being so horrible to them is what made developers leave them for the PS1. Its weird though, once a console company made a misstep it seems they never recover. Sega almost did, but it wasnt for long.
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 04-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

N64? No the restrictions on the number of games you could program ended years earlier. Snes developers also could manufacture and assemble their own games, albeit using Nintendos molds. NES required all games be assembled by Nintendo.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    In general I find the Nintendo cross to be the best d pad around, but when playing 16 bit fighting games I much preferred Sega's circular d pad. A night of fighting games on the SNES would leave me and my friends with raw, sore thumbs (or Nintendo Thumb if you will) but a night of fighting games on the Genesis did nothing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    In general I find the Nintendo cross to be the best d pad around, but when playing 16 bit fighting games I much preferred Sega's circular d pad. A night of fighting games on the SNES would leave me and my friends with raw, sore thumbs (or Nintendo Thumb if you will) but a night of fighting games on the Genesis did nothing.

I always had numb or raw thumbs from the NES cross. I actually think the smoothest d-pad I have ever played with is a 3rd party PSX controller, which I cannot remember the manufacturer. The sharp corners of the NES cross are unbearably painful on the hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Sega's D-pads have always been better IMO. The way they mount them makes it require less effort to circle around the pad since leverage is on your side, at least for the Genesis, Nomad, and Saturn.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    N64? No the restrictions on the number of games you could program ended years earlier. Snes developers also could manufacture and assemble their own games, albeit using Nintendos molds. NES required all games be assembled by Nintendo.
    I'm pretty sure all N64 games were manufactured by Nintendo as well, whatever the reason (likely the insane cost).

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    I'm pretty sure all N64 games were manufactured by Nintendo as well, whatever the reason (likely the insane cost).
    Yes, that was probably the publishers willingly doing that.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

June 23, 1991.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was the Genesis. At that point, Nintendo had no choice but to let up on the developers to make games for other systems, cuz the Genesis was simply superior to the Nintendo. But it didn't screw them cuz the Super Nintendo was a tremendous success, I think it sold more then the Genesis. And it had tons of games. And, yes, they did make a huge mistake making the N64 a cart-based system, so they lost tonsa 3rd party support. Lets face it, u can't fit a game like FF7 on an N64 cart. It's just too big.

It's a myth that Nintendo is failing tho. I don't believe they'll stop making consoles cuz people love Nintendo consoles. They can afford this Wii U flop, they have a TON of money in the bank. What screwed Sega was that when the Dreamcast flopped, they didn't have the funds Nintendo does. I don't think Nintendo will ever make a console selling more then Sony, but they don't need to, I don't think. The Wii didn't out-sell either the 360 or PS3 but it sold quite well, and therefore it was a success, financially.

They can definately afford to release another console, which I guess they could do in a few years. Who knows tho? Nintendo always surprises me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Afford it, for a time yes, but there will be a shakeup over it. Yamauchi and his death grip are deceased and the fool in charge has no idea how to properly develop and manage a company that size and was better off inventing stuff like Kirby. It's somewhat of a myth, but there is truth to it in pieces. Since they went publicly traded instead of private during the old mans reign, they do have to answer to anyone who owns a share. I suspect him and Reg-tard will get shown the door when voting comes up on their jobs again. I believe whatever suit would get put in their place will probably start to spread them out thinner into other markets like sub-project tablet/phone junk to help get support for their unique projects, and maybe they'll dump the loser strategy of cheap hardware and try and do what game developers request in a new console so they get games as games=buyers(3DS) and no games=WiiU.

They could release plenty more, but they need to do something entirely on a different track. They go into a big old super powered handheld that can then tether to a TV or get docked into a TV unit with a real controller (like a neo geo x) which they they only run one platform based on their successful handheld market, or they go with a beefy system on the level of the other two.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    the Super Nintendo was a tremendous success, I think it sold more then the Genesis.
    In terms of being on the market longer, and having a massive majority of the Japanese market. In the west however, including North America, the Genesis had won the competitive aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I'll never believe a cross shape is going to perform quarter/half/full circles better than a circular pad. You'd have to be far too used to that cross for your own good to be able to say otherwise with a straight face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    And, yes, they did make a huge mistake making the N64 a cart-based system, so they lost tonsa 3rd party support. Lets face it, u can't fit a game like FF7 on an N64 cart. It's just too big.
    The game would fit just fine, it's the prerendered cutscenes that wouldn't.

On the dpad issue from earlier, I greatly prefer Nintendo style, the Genesis/Saturn was good too, but I can never get as precise diagonals with them as I can with Nintendo style.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea I kinda prefer the Nintendo Dpads also, not sure why, but Sega's Dpads are solid also. The Master System Dpads are ok, altho its strange how they're square shaped instead of circular. They work ok, but don't have the precision the Genesis/Saturn D-pads have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I had though some publisher(s) took Nintendo to court over the liscencing and manufacturing requirements during the NES era. That would be what loosened the stranglehold .

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I blame it solely on Sonic the Hedgehog. As the first console game I ever owned I can say I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I have never stopped playing that game as long as I have had it. It didn't stop me from getting Super Mario Bros. and playing that just as frequently, but it proved that another company could make games just as good as Nintendo's, even for kids.

Also yeah I remember when Final Fantasy 7 was first being tech demo'd for Nintendo 64. They started making the character models based on the Final Fantasy 6 characters and showed a picture of it in Nintendo Power. As development went on they jumped ship to the Playstation.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 05-23-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Offtopic. The N64 was able to push more polys since it's a more powerful system, but does the console load 2D poorly? Because if you look at games that were multiconsole, 3D on N64 is smoother but the textures were blurrier, while PSX 3D had less polys so more jaggies, but higher quality 2D textures so much more clear. If the N64 version can hold the entire game with compressed video, and it's a more powerful console, then why are the textures noticeably worse? I'm speaking of Resident Evil 2 there, but it's not just that game. Nightmare Creatures has slightly worse textures. Mega Man 64 has worse textures, really bad texture pop in, really bad pop in, and bad draw distance, despite being on a cartridge instead of CD.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.