0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Default Having Your Collection Appraised

Not because I give a crap what it's worth, but because I've switched insurance carriers and if it's worth more than $5,000 you need to have proof or they will only give you $5,000 in case of a loss. So, anyone know the best way to go about this?
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Combined with my G1 Transformers and other toys and Collections, I'm paying insurance on a 1 million dollar collection. I have a lot of movie set props and one of a kind sports pieces.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I don't know who to get to do the appraisal but with my insurance company you can claim it's worth whatever you want as long as you're willing to pay the premium. If it were me I'd decide what it would take to replace everything and then claim it's worth a little more than that so if the worse were to happen you could replace everything even if prices went up a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I don't know who to get to do the appraisal but with my insurance company you can claim it's worth whatever you want as long as you're willing to pay the premium. If it were me I'd decide what it would take to replace everything and then claim it's worth a little more than that so if the worse were to happen you could replace everything even if prices went up a little.
    But how exactly does that work? Obviously some of your collection is worth much more than others. Say your home was broken into and the thieves got into your basement where you kept the Nintendo portion of your collection. they stole everything including your Stadium Events and NWC carts. The rest of your collection was in your office and was untouched. How do you go about getting reimbursed for your losses? You don't just automatically get a million dollars if anything is lost. I'm sure that you'd have to somehow prove what each item was worth

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    But how exactly does that work? Obviously some of your collection is worth much more than others. Say your home was broken into and the thieves got into your basement where you kept the Nintendo portion of your collection. they stole everything including your Stadium Events and NWC carts. The rest of your collection was in your office and was untouched. How do you go about getting reimbursed for your losses? You don't just automatically get a million dollars if anything is lost. I'm sure that you'd have to somehow prove what each item was worth
    For specifics you'd have to talk with your individual insurance agent. For me I have an overall value and anything that is individually expensive I have listed individually.

I don't use this for my video games as I don't have any extremely expensive/rare games like a Stadium Events but I use this method for my firearm collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Just saying what it's worth isn't going to fly. The agent wants proof. He said appraisal, but it wasn't mentioned to him what would need the extra coverage for. I wasn't present at the conversation. What are my options besides appraisals? That's what I would prefer since it's rock solid and they wouldn't be able to argue with me in the event of a payout. However, is there a resource online that would give me an idea of the value of each of my games?
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    Combined with my G1 Transformers and other toys and Collections, I'm paying insurance on a 1 million dollar collection. I have a lot of movie set props and one of a kind sports pieces.
    Wow, that was super helpful to OP!
    Personally, (it'd probably be a pain in the rear to do, but...) I'd compile a list of your games, their condition, and each title's individual value (verified by the DP guide/database and current eBay/resale market). Don't know if that would count as a "professional appraisal" by insurance company standards, but it's at least something definitive to go by.

FWIW, I have a $20,000 renter's insurance policy with Liberty Mutual and never had to give any sort of detailed appraisal. I have a good-sized collection, but $20k seemed enough to replace most, if not all, of my bigger-ticket goods. Good luck!

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    Nobody cares about your most likely not worth a million bucks collection.