Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DREAMCAST! Who Here Lovess It? :D

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DREAMCAST! Who Here Lovess It? :D

I got NullDC working on my computer, and maaaan, this is so exciting! I played Soul Calibur for 3 hours or so already, its so addictive. Only games that havent worked out of the 50 games I downloaded are Mars Matrix, Gunlord and Fast Striker. I do plan on getting a model one sometime after I move and burn cd's to play them, but now this emulator is working great for me. I just hate how I have to bring up the controls every time I open it up (which with the way they made the navigation in options), is tedious. I have every game or the at least the first disk of every game I want for the system. I really wish I could play Seaman, definitely gonna hunt down a complete copy one day. I cant wait to see if I liek Shenmue or not, quick time events in games are becoming cliches when developers cant think of other ways to do combat or do a proper cutscene, but this was way before that. Illbleed and Blue Stinger are interesting quirky games I gotta play. And its shooter library is top notch, I have the Gamecube and PS2 versions of some of these, but they look and play better on the Dreamcast. Power Stone Im gonna sink my teeth into, as well as the other fighting games.

What are you guys favorites? Whats a game you wish more people talked about? Got any great memories?

Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 04-07-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: change title

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Toy Commander. Looks like a kid's game. Is actually pretty hard in places but really really good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

The Dreamcast is in many ways the spiritual successor to the Neo-Geo - the game libraries of both mainly consist of shoot em ups, fighting games, sports and bizarre offerings. It's a novel system to own, but the Dreamcast doesn't really serve the all-genres array that systems like the SNES or Playstation do.

That being said, is a Dreamcast worth owning? Absolutely! It has some of my favorite games ever made, plus really out there games like Shenmue, and the ultimate in so bazaar its cool - The Typing of the Dead.

In case you don't know, Typing of the Dead is House of the Dead 2 with typing using the Dreamcast keyboard or a standard PS/2 keyboard with an adapter. This means it an edutainment game....however, since it was a GAME turned into edutainment, the whole focus is still on fun, not education. It is one if the only education games you'll ever play that's actually a good time.

This game is why I keep a Dreamcast around.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope I can play Typing of The Dead without having to input the keys :S

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my most disappointing console purchases...

Coming from a genesis and PS1, I expected a market-leading console, it sure had the horsepower behind it and SEGA is no slouch, I thought.
    But damn, damn if it was a complete let down for me. Few major genres saw releases and it had almost no 3rd party support, felt like n64 all over again (but at least the n64 was ground breaking and completely revolutionized gaming).

Sure there are a bunch of fighting games, a couple of shmups, a could of lightgun games (which you cant play on LCD screens anyway) and some arcade ports (PowerStone was awesome). Most of the good games were released on other consoles anyway, there are practically no exclusives at this point (practically all those releases were improvements too, like Sonic, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi etc.)

Theres a couple dozen great games, but its pathetic compared to any other major consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    play Typing of The Dead without having to input keys
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Funny reaction I had that might rekindle some of the old spirit...

For the last three days I've been playing Zelda: Link to the Past, primarily so I'd know where things were in case I needed to help out one of my younger friends who is experiencing it for the first time. Now, unlike a lot of people I never considered ALTTP to be the best game ever or even close to being on my top ten list, but I used to like it somewhat. Now... well, check my blog if you wanna know my current feelings.

Anyway, I found the game so dull that when I had finally beaten it, my first impulse was dear lord, I need something not-tedious to get the dull out of my system. I didn't think, I just reacted.

Within moments, my Dreamcast was hooked up and I was playing Crazy Taxi. YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!

You might almost say Sega did what Nintendidn't

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

I love it I went with the burning cd's route and have tons of games and ill note that Power Stone 2 Crazy Taxi Ooga Booga Sonic Adventure 2 and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 were my childhood in a nutshell ))
    There are soooooo many good games for the dreamcast!
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I still own a dreamcast,one of the things i like about the console so many arcade style of games for it.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 04-14-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    I got NullDC working on my computer, and maaaan, this is so exciting! I played Soul Calibur for 3 hours or so already, its so addictive. Only games that havent worked out of the 50 games I downloaded are Mars Matrix, Gunlord and Fast Striker. I do plan on getting a model one sometime after I move and burn cd's to play them, but now this emulator is working great for me. I just hate how I have to bring up the controls every time I open it up (which with the way they made the navigation in options), is tedious. I have every game or the at least the first disk of every game I want for the system. I really wish I could play Seaman, definitely gonna hunt down a complete copy one day. I cant wait to see if I liek Shenmue or not, quick time events in games are becoming cliches when developers cant think of other ways to do combat or do a proper cutscene, but this was way before that. Illbleed and Blue Stinger are interesting quirky games I gotta play. And its shooter library is top notch, I have the Gamecube and PS2 versions of some of these, but they look and play better on the Dreamcast. Power Stone Im gonna sink my teeth into, as well as the other fighting games.

What are you guys favorites? Whats a game you wish more people talked about? Got any great memories?

the dreamcast is a wonderful system and I love all the games for it. I still play my copy of powerstone 2 and king of fighters on it.
    Last edited by BricatSegaFan; 04-10-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Im using an emulator called NullDC to play games for now. I downloaded Typing of The Dead, and chose the keyboard option as the controller, and I didnt have to put in any inputs, it recognized my keyboard YAY! Out of 54 games I downloaded only a few havent worked, but the ones that do work very very great, just shadow glitching is the only bug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

In my top 3 systems of all time. My dreamcast is hooked up, and still gets played when I get in the mood to take a look back. I remember the launch,9.9.99 I was pumped and took off of work so i could pick mine up, and play it all day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I love it! This is the most groundbreaking console ever. Online console RPG with friends list, working flawlessly on a 56k modem, in 2000, this changed the game. Dreamcast was a simpler Xbox Live before Xbox live! And to this day, the graphics are still pretty good, they are about the same as the wii, a console still in the market against a console that launched in 1998! It had awesome games in all genres, and was such a huge step forward going from N64/ps1 to the Dreamcast. Oh man playing Quake 3, unreal tournament and Phantasy Star with friends online was a blast! You needed a beefy pc to play these games on a computer, so having these games on a console that looked better than the PC was a big deal. You also had near identical arcade portsat home, something never seen before on any console.
    Rpgs: Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, record of lodoss war, Phantasy star online
    racing games: Test drive le mans, ferrari f355 challenge, metropolis street racer
    platformers: sonic adventure 1 and 2, rayman 2
    action games: jet grind radio, shenmue, sword of the berserk
    Arcade games: Crazy taxi, house of the dead 2, f355, virtua fighter3, bass fishing
    Old school shmups: mars matrix, bangai-o, cannon spike
    Fighting games: power stone, soul calibur, and too many to list!
    FPS: Quake 3, Unreal tournament
    Sports : nfl nba nhl 2k, virtua tennis, games that were better than the mighty EA Sports
    And so many other.... all this was released in about 2 and a half years window! The dreamcast was a no bullshit (mostly), hardcore as fuck gaming heaven. Sure sega fucked up with too many add ons for the genesis, the Saturn (it died early, and never made a killer game to sell the system like sonic on the genesis, and was not developper friendly) but they did an awesome job fixing everything with the dreamcast. It would be awesome if Sega could release a new console in the future, they have so many franchises just waiting to make a comeback and have such a rich history. All the studios they had during dreamcast were incredible. Am2, overworks, sonic team, smilebit, visual concepts, amusement vision, etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Within moments, my Dreamcast was hooked up and I was playing Crazy Taxi. YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!
    Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast is an amazing game, and, bit by bit, I think it might have no equal in the pure fun department. When I lived in Brooklyn my roommate and I use to play that game all the time on his Dreamcast. I still flashback to our old apartment when I hear the Offspring theme song.

One day I need to buy a Dreamcast just for this game alone. I have it on the PS2, but the Dreamcast version... I dunno, maybe it is sweet feeling of squeezing the trigger shoulder button for gas or that it my favorite SEGA game on their last system, but the Dreamcast's Crazy Taxi is the definitive home version for whatever reason in my book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I still love my Dreamcast, but out of all my retro consoles it probably gets less play than most (my Saturn & TG-16 getting the most). As for favorites on the console, Soul Calibur might be my favorite fighting game on the console, but Virtual On Oratorio Tangram would be a close second. Best played with the Saturn twin sticks through a Total Control 3, but still good on a pad.

Ah, memories...
    Dig it old-school?
    Visit http://www.retronick.com
    or follow me on twitter: @Retron8

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

One of the best consoles of all time and ahead of its time. I love my Dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    mebinici
    PSN
    mebinici

Although my game library doesn't have much of the games (physical), I think it was and still has a special place in my heart. First system to really do everything, right? I loved the system as soon as I played Skies of Arcadia for the first time and then started playing Shenmue!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    the graphics are still pretty good, they are about the same as the wii,
    You are either blind or your memory is playing tricks on you.

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually like Dreamcast graphics more than newer graphics, the graphics whores are pushing the medium into too narrow a road that leads to a dead end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by binici View Post
    First system to really do everything, right? I loved the system as soon as I played Skies of Arcadia for the first time and then started playing Shenmue!
    I like the dreamcast. I like it a lot. But linking back to certain other threads... Oh what I wouldn't have given for a second analog stick.

Headhunter, for example, is a really enjoyable b-movie experience. Sometimes you just really want that second stick though.