Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Im Not Enjoying A Link To The Past.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Im Not Enjoying A Link To The Past.

I prefer Ocarina of Time way more. Easier to get Rupees, Link's sword goes all over the place and not just a 90 degree arch, no hazards in grass when you cut it.
    Is it a "you must have played one before the other" thing? Ive heard people say they like LTTP more than Ocarina, why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    I prefer Ocarina of Time way more. Easier to get Rupees, Link's sword goes all over the place and not just a 90 degree arch, no hazards in grass when you cut it.
    Is it a "you must have played one before the other" thing? Ive heard people say they like LTTP more than Ocarina, why?
    I might have a small bias because I have played ALTTP a long time before OOT. But I can address easily 2 points out of your 3.

Use the running boots all the time, should keep you safe when you go all lawn mower style.
    There is a whole bunch of hidden spots to get rupees, places that will give you several hundred at a time. On a typical game I never had to worry about cash, with those stash I could buy everything I wanted + every upgrades for the bomb and arrow carrying capacity.

After some thinking and doing my best to stay objective, I can conceive that you would like OOT more than ALLTP, but not enjoying ALLTP at all seems pretty far fetch for me. This is a game with great level design, beautiful sprites and great balance.
    Last edited by Xander; 04-17-2013 at 05:39 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Its really all about personal preference, I for one think LTTP is much better than either N64 zelda games, if I had to compare them. I really think zelda lttp is a masterpiece. I really cant say the same about either N64 games, but I do see why people like them. I agree they are all great games but for me the N64 zelda games are way more frustrating than fun. I got them all when they came out and I personally think that Lttp on snes is the best zelda, hands down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Not enjoying LTTP? Well that just means you're a terrible person.

Seriously though, LTTP gets better the more you put into it. Maybe it IS a generational gap (personally I have never cared much for OOT myself) but I think Zelda magic is in 2D overhead style gameplay. I'd say play it at least until you get to the Dark World and beat the first Palace. If you still don't like that that point you at least saw a good deal of what the game has to offer and can't be faulted for not liking it.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    These are rather petty reasons not to like it, but here's a tip for quick money (from gamefaqs):
    After you've gotten the Power gloves go to the desert area in the game. Once there find the man thats sitting next to his sign. Go a little bit south and to the left where you should find two large rocks. Lift up the rock below the top one and a secret area will be opened. Once inside you'll notice a thief and 10 different pots that each hold a blue rupee, break open each pot and take all the money. You'll be able to do this as much as you please because the blue rupees come back every time you leave and reenter the area. It should only take a few minutes to get the maximum amount of rupees.

Regarding his sword, I don't see the problem? The game would be too easy if you didn't even have to charge it. You can also stab iirc. Same for the grass, don't see the problem with added challenge, not that it's hard at all to avoid those hazards.

I for one like it better because of a. the pacing, there's less dead space b. it's somewhat more challenging, c. the perspective, you get a good overview of each new room making puzzle solving less tedious... and d. the world design feels more natural and interconnected, the field in OoT is such an obvious hub area.

OoT map:
    http://www.zeldauniverse.net/images/.../hyrulebig.gif

LttP map:
    http://www.zeldacapital.com/Games/ma...ight_world.png
    Last edited by Alianger; 04-17-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

X2 on weak reasons for disliking the game. There are so many great things about the game and it's hard for me to imagine something like an enemy popping out of the grass on occasion being a big turnoff.

But, if you don't enjoy it, then you don't enjoy it. Out of curiosity, have you played Zelda 1 and did you enjoy it?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I agree that the "hazards in the grass" shouldn't be much of a reason to dislike the game.
    You just need to be a little careful. And they're not that common, and if you get hit it's not too big of a deal as there's plenty of hearts to go around (and fairy fountains are pretty common if you know where they are).

It might just be me, but I hate how the fairies were changed from little floating ladies into balls with wings in OoT and later Zeldas. They should've at least stopped calling them "fairies". :P

I think OoT gives you too many rupees. Half the game I have them at maximum because I run out of stuff to spend them on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I'm amused at how absolutely fickle one person can be.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Man up and play Zelda II.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Man up and play Zelda II.
    Fuck Zelda - go play Alundra! Fight the power man!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you played Zelda 1 and did you enjoy it?
    If something as trivial as hazards in the grass are too much for him, then I doubt that he would get far in Zelda 1.

And I don't mean to sound like an ass, SOL BADGUY, but skarr is right. You need to man up.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe thats the problem, maybe its tooooo much like Zelda 1, and I dont like the graphics, theyre like a kids coloring book. I like Zelda 2 more than the other first 3 games.

OoT improved on everything in this game, to me. They were limited with the top down perspective, and thats why they only kept making games with it on the handhelds.

You can judge games as they were when they were first released, then you can also say "but now a days....." and thats what Im saying, with all the Zelda games out there, this one isnt hooking me.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

So I hear Nintendo just announced ALttP2.
    Knowing Nintendo, there's a good chance of them creating something we can all not enjoy. :P
    (15 years and they still haven't gotten the "no sidekicks PLZTHNX" memo)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Fuck Zelda - go play Alundra! Fight the power man!
    When compared to Zelda: A Link to the Past and then Link's Awakening which introduced top-down view Link having the ability to jump, Alundra does seem more like a step in the direction of what a sequel that stayed top-down instead of going 3D could have been. It might not be related to Zelda, but just like Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellius, Neutopia and Neutopia II I highly suggest playing it if you like Zelda games. At least with Alundra you can't complain about the graphics being too cartoony.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Reasoning aside, it's perfectly fine to not like ALttP or any other mega-popular game. No game is factually amazing, despite what any fan may claim. I'm not that crazy about ALttP myself. I think it's a good, solid adventure game, but it didn't make a big impression on me and there are many games that share its genre that I like more. For me, ALttP is way too easy and lacks identity. Even sticking with just the Zelda series, I think Link's Awakening improved upon just about everything in ALttP. Slightly more challenging combat, much trickier puzzles, more personality and charm, a mysterious, intriguing world and story, etc.

Cubs, pubs and bubs. sneekyweezel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't really know they're both great only you gotta try "The Minish Cap", it's a mix of OOT and ALTTP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I never enjoyed OOT, I bought it on release day on my n64 and made it to the 5th dungeon, never finished it. I know many people say its the best game ever and gave it a second chance when they released it on 3ds. made it to the 5th dungeon, never finished it. Phantom Hourglass is the best zelda I have played, and close second is link to the past. Links awakening comes in third. I dont like the overworld of OOT (and 3d zeldas in general) and is too slow paced and boring. Its not a bad game, but FOR ME its not as awesome as everybody says it is. I did play Skyward sword a couple of hours and it is the best 3d zelda without a doubt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    If something as trivial as hazards in the grass are too much for him, then I doubt that he would get far in Zelda 1.

And I don't mean to sound like an ass, SOL BADGUY, but skarr is right. You need to man up.

I didn't think so, but thought it might help to know for sure just in case a sword ONLY stabbing in one direction was more acceptable than just a quarter spin ;P

But seriously, just sounds like 2D really isn't your thing, OP. Are there other other 2D games that you like?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive beaten Zelda 2, and I like it more than Zelda 1.

Of course I love 2D games, its just this game is not doing it for me. Im in the Dark World now, I do plan on finishing it, my complaints have been about what Ive gone through so far.

Im playing it as apart of a Zelda marathon. Maybe Ill play Minish Cap again, because a lot of people consider it the "real" first game in the timeline. (lets not start getting into that)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Reasoning aside, it's perfectly fine to not like ALttP or any other mega-popular game. No game is factually amazing, despite what any fan may claim. I'm not that crazy about ALttP myself. I think it's a good, solid adventure game, but it didn't make a big impression on me and there are many games that share its genre that I like more. For me, ALttP is way too easy and lacks identity. Even sticking with just the Zelda series, I think Link's Awakening improved upon just about everything in ALttP. Slightly more challenging combat, much trickier puzzles, more personality and charm, a mysterious, intriguing world and story, etc.
    And then Oracle of Ages/Seasons improved upon Link's Awakening in my opinion.

However, going back to the original post... If you dislike "hazards" in the grass, good luck if you ever try playing Zelda 1 on NES. There aren't hazards of that nature, but the enemies will destroy you without quick reflexes (Darknuts anyone?).