Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Im Not Enjoying A Link To The Past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's too difficult to get rupees? I don't even know how to respond to that. I have played through the game twice recently, and I don't even remember why you would need a large amount of rupees.

Is this a joke post? I mean, I don't enjoy Super Metroid, but I have better reasons than "Samus jumps too slowly" or something equally trivial.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People need to read the whole thread before saying something Ive answered twice.

And yeah, it is annoying, you get asked for rupees by people you need to talk to so you can upgrade your weapons and such. So, I just wish they were a little faster to get, without having to mess with grass hazards. I thin kits a fair comparison, Nintendo knew to get rid of the hazards when they made OoT.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    People need to read the whole thread before saying something Ive answered twice.

And yeah, it is annoying, you get asked for rupees by people you need to talk to so you can upgrade your weapons and such. So, I just wish they were a little faster to get, without having to mess with grass hazards. I thin kits a fair comparison, Nintendo knew to get rid of the hazards when they made OoT.
    There are secrets strewn throughout where you can get large numbers of rupees. Oddly enough, though, I always find myself with way too many rupees until the last dungeon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    There are secrets strewn throughout where you can get large numbers of rupees. Oddly enough, though, I always find myself with way too many rupees until the last dungeon.
    This.

Also, there are two trees in the circular area where the kid plays the flute in the center of the map that you can run into and they each give you 20 rupees. Leave screen, come back, charge! Get rupees. You need the flute (ocarina) first though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Man up and play Zelda II.
    This is the most worthwhile advice in this thread. Oh, and to play Neutopia.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 04-18-2013 at 01:19 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Ironically I just blogged about this game. For the most part, I agree with the OP.

A Link to the Past is okay, but its overrated, pure and simple. It's not the big classic it's always hailed as. It's competently-designed, but no more than that.

Quoting from previously-linked article:

Even back in the day, I never felt like A Link to the Past (arguably the Zelda franchise’s last hurrah, although I argue Ocarina of Time is better) was the all-time classic everyone hailed it as. By the time I played it (my first 16-bit console was a Genesis), I had already played superior games like Landstalker, Secret of Mana, Crusader of Centy, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia. It wasn’t like I was intentionally avoiding Zelda–just that for the longest time, I couldn’t find it anywhere.

And it’s not like A Link to the Past is terrible as a game. Hell, seeing Death Mountain brings me back to my grade school years and reminds me of the excellent days when I would rent games from Crossroads… err, anyway, the problem is just I’ve grown to dislike a lot of the concepts that are part-n-parcel to the whole Zelda (and in some ways Action RPGs and RPGs in general) thing.

Case in point, there’s this one well in Kakariko village you can’t jump down until you have both the hammer and the power glove (by Mattel!) Going down there is a shrine you can sprinkle magic powder on to get a magic bonus. But you won’t have the necessary items until after the fourth Dark World dungeon, so the game is already almost over. It feels like such a waste, to be forced to wait until so late in the game to get an upgrade that would’ve come in handy much, much earlier. It’s almost pointless for it to even be in there at all.

Another reason this game tends to annoy and frustrate me is that much of the exploration ends up being purposeless. You bomb a wall and find a hidden thief… who gives you 300 rupees. And it feels like such a waste because I already have 959. Rupees are easy to get and I’m perpetually full of them. Likewise, when you open a chest and it just has arrows or bombs–again, I already have plenty, and a one-time treasure chest should not be filled with items that can be replenished by breaking pots or killing enemies, anyway.

I’d like it if I could just ignore the treasure chests and pots until I was sure I needed them, but no–sometimes they have keys in or under them that you’ll need later, so you’re forced to waste potential resources on the off chance that one of them is that key you’re looking for.

That’s my problem with Zelda: It’s not about “adventure” or “exploration” in any meaningful sense of the word. There is none. It’s just a bunch of ferreting around. A true adventure would allow the player to discover things for themselves. Zelda never does. Except in the NES original, and of course all the weakling modern gamers call that “bad design” now.

It makes me think that “good game design” is a synonym for “dull, tedious and boring,” and I suddenly understand why “badly”-designed games like Blaster Master or the original Zelda somehow seem more engrossing–it was because you literally don’t know what to expect. That makes them mysterious, and wonderful. I actually want to see more of them because they’re strange new worlds with their own rules where something awesome could be anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    That’s my problem with Zelda: It’s not about “adventure” or “exploration” in any meaningful sense of the word. There is none. It’s just a bunch of ferreting around. A true adventure would allow the player to discover things for themselves. Zelda never does. Except in the NES original, and of course all the weakling modern gamers call that “bad design” now.:
    To each its own I guess. This sentence makes my eyes pop a little because there is exploration in Zelda: ALTTP. Where do you think all those quarter hearts and optional magic items comes from? I can distinctively remember several occasion I had to sidetrack to explore in detail a portion of the map, in the hopes of finding a magic item, rupees or quarter hearts. Like in the first world alone you have the whole area east of the lake, the abandoned water shrine, the whole mountain, the zora zone (quarter hearts + you encounter the faery who upgrades items). Yeah it's not hours long exploration for the sake of it, but it's a SNES cartridge we are not going to cram Skyrim in Hyrule.

And on the subject of rupees, if it's your first playthrough and go explore every corner, yeah you will probably end up with wasting rupees as you will go over cap. But as soon as you hit the 2nd world, you have access to the money sink that is the faery increasing your bomb and arrow capacity. So in the end, it's only a problem for a small portion of the game just before you transition to the 2nd world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ironically I just blogged about this game. For the most part, I agree with the OP.

A Link to the Past is okay, but its overrated, pure and simple. It's not the big classic it's always hailed as. It's competently-designed, but no more than that.

Quoting from previously-linked article:
    I actually quite enjoyed the adventure aspect of LttP. That may be to do primarily with the art style and the memorable change from Light World to Dark Work. The points about having huge numbers of items are probably justified. I certainly found myself with huge quanities of more or less everything by the end of the game. The pot smashing didn't really bug me as much as it bugged you.

Wikipedia suggests that that development started in 1989 (?) on the Famicon and it was released in 1991 (?). I may just be me, but I always forget how old this game is. The art still looks good, and the format has been refined and enhanced over the years, but for a long while this seemed to be the bar against which all "action RPGs" like this were measured against.

I always think that a 'classic' game is one which is still fun to play 10 years after its release, when the genre has moved on and you can see all the wrinkles. You wouldn't release LttP "as is" in today's market and expect it to be hailed as the benchmark for action RPGs. You'd have fun with it. The Dark World twist has been done to death by other games but the sense of an oppressed kindom still comes through. You'd come out of it saying "Yeah, it was good, but they could improve x, y and z" because, arguably, those sorts of flaws would be a lot more damning as there are other comparable games on the market (Alundra!)

LttP is twenty years old. I came out of it recently thinking that it was good. Yes, it had aged, but it wasn't dated in the way some other games are.

Everyone is allowed to disagree of course (but everyone should play Alundra!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

I think from a mainstream general consensus OOT is highly praised over LTTP.

OOT makes the top of many lists. It's also one game that you see a lot of people say it's the best game ever made.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I had already played superior games like Landstalker, Secret of Mana, Crusader of Centy, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia.
    And all of those were released after A Link to the Past. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem I see is that LttP did a lot of things that both newer Zelda games have made staple gameplay elements, as well as having influenced a shit ton of games since, so it might be hard to see it for all it was back when it came out, since many aspects of the gameplay may seem passé or cliche at this point.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 04-18-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That’s my problem with Zelda: It’s not about “adventure” or “exploration” in any meaningful sense of the word. There is none. It’s just a bunch of ferreting around. A true adventure would allow the player to discover things for themselves.
    Yup, totally agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, totally agree.
    Have you considered the PC version of Ultima VII (1992). Available from GoG for pennies. All the freeform gaming you could want.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    To each its own I guess. This sentence makes my eyes pop a little because there is exploration in Zelda: ALTTP. Where do you think all those quarter hearts and optional magic items comes from?
    The thing is though, you can figure out where those things are from some very obvious cues early on (hmm, there's a well I can jump in...). So its not that you're actually looking for them, its more often that you know where they are but they're off-limits to you because you don't currently have bombs or the hookshot or a condom or whatever the game requires at that point. So really, it's more like "remember this for later."

When I think of exploration in the context of classic gaming, I tend to think more of, say, Might and Magic for the NES (there's literally lots of unique and interesting locations to see, and often finding them is rewarding somehow) or Turrican for the Sega Genesis--that latter might be a strange example but think about it... you can go off the beaten track and find a hidden platform with loads of one-ups. I mean that might sound like nothing (considering I just complained about Rupees and all), but you use up lives faster in Turrican than you use Rupees in Zelda, so they're a more valuable commodity by comparison. Likewise, in your average 8-Bit RPG you use money up fast, so finding it in treasure chests is actually welcome, whereas in LTTP I never had less than 600 rupees at any one time once things got underway.

(And yeah, I know about the Pond of Happiness, but there's never a situation in the game where you need more than thirty bombs or arrows, so I got bored and stopped giving her money at that point)

At least, that's my thoughts on the subject.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Everyone has their own opinions I suppose. I'm 28, played OOT when it first came out and loved it. I only recently played through and beat LTTP about 4 years ago and equally loved it. Definitely two different games, both great in their own ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say that as long as you do not consider yourself a "true/hardcore" LoZ fan then if you do not like it, whatever.
    I think that overall it is a generational/played OoT(or later) LoZ games prior 'thing'.
    A good friend of mine, who considers himself a "true" LoZ fan, has not beat the original LoZ. Nor has he really played LTTP, even though I bought him a copy years back.
    Ultimately, I see it as "Just because you like or dislike something does not make it good or bad".
    I grew up playing the original, then LTTP. Of course, the graphics aren't great but I think that the gameplay is there. I remember when OoT was released, and my friends who played it saying "Oh, I beat it in 46 hours, blah blah blah". WTF is that? Spending 60$ on a brand new game and beating it, probably never to play it again seems Rec0ckulous to me.

Anyways, that is all... for meow.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I like links awakening the best. Link to the past is good and so is oot but links awakening....wow.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zelda 1 and 2 were among the first NES games I played, before OoT came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing is though, you can figure out where those things are from some very obvious cues early on (hmm, there's a well I can jump in...). So its not that you're actually looking for them, its more often that you know where they are but they're off-limits to you because you don't currently have bombs or the hookshot or a condom or whatever the game requires at that point. So really, it's more like "remember this for later."

When I think of exploration in the context of classic gaming, I tend to think more of, say, Might and Magic for the NES (there's literally lots of unique and interesting locations to see, and often finding them is rewarding somehow) or Turrican for the Sega Genesis--that latter might be a strange example but think about it... you can go off the beaten track and find a hidden platform with loads of one-ups. I mean that might sound like nothing (considering I just complained about Rupees and all), but you use up lives faster in Turrican than you use Rupees in Zelda, so they're a more valuable commodity by comparison. Likewise, in your average 8-Bit RPG you use money up fast, so finding it in treasure chests is actually welcome, whereas in LTTP I never had less than 600 rupees at any one time once things got underway.

(And yeah, I know about the Pond of Happiness, but there's never a situation in the game where you need more than thirty bombs or arrows, so I got bored and stopped giving her money at that point)

At least, that's my thoughts on the subject.

Modern games hand-hold you through every fucking detail anymore, not to mention the mainstay "gamers must be retarded and need an on-board guide" fairies or whatever ever since OoT.

If anything, I would argue that the more modern Zelda games leave little to the puzzle-solving imagination. At least in the older games you had to figure out those "obvious" puzzles on your own, whereas now there's some dumb floating voice telling you what to do in any instance that t takes you more than 30 seconds to figure out out on your own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Cool

I used to kinda agree with Sol Badguy.

The first Zelda game i played was Oot. I loved it. I really enjoyed the way
    i could leisurely explore while not in a dungeon.

Then i played Lttp. Because Link is a wanted man who is constantly being chased or hunted it is harder to explore.
    Not super hard but there is a feeling of tension that is not in Oot. Because of the tension i did not like Lttp as
    much as Oot.

Then few years later i played Lttp again. This time i knew what to expect. With the proper
    frame of mind, i found myself loving Lttp.

I now like each one equally but different.