Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best website to buy retrogames ?

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    That is what's nice about buying from the forums. There are almost always pictures of the items for sale. And if there isn't then it's usually not a problem to request them.
    Excellent point, buying from an established member from the forums is rarely not the way to get the best deal. Plus someone who's active on the forums is normally someone who cares more about what they have and generally take much better care of their items than a simple reseller you'll find online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i've been ordering from jjgames.com several times recently over the last month. I have had no problems and their prices are excellent depending on what you're looking for....i just ordered 9 original xbox games, 4 nes titles, and 1 snes title for total of $50...free shipping as well...now they are common titles but good ones...also ordered turtles iv for snes for 19.99 on their website in good condition....everywhere else i've looked that game goes for $35 or more....

anyway, tradengames.com is a good one as well as collectorscardsandgames.com.....i sometimes use estarland.com...their prices aren't great but their trade in values are very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wasn't impressed with the quality of the NES cart I bought from Lukiegames, and my reservations about them was confirmed when they bought a lot of crap condition games that I sold on Ebay. I was up front about the condition (a few of the games barely worked) and included pics, but Lukiegames turns around and sells these games with stock photos and a blanket grade that doesn't allow a buyer to discern the actual condition. There's quite a few sellers on Ebay like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently bought about 30 games from jjgames and I can honestly say that I was rather impressed the quality for the price. For the most part I bought the cheapest copy they had and other than maybe 3 or 4 games they were rather nice carts or were very easy to clean and very game worked first try after cleaning the contacts.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can vouch for eStarland. I've used them off and on a few times over the past few years, as recently as a few weeks ago. They don't have incredible prices, but they also don't sell crap. If you look at their trade-in requirements it is pretty legit. Still, I think their prices are quite fair for the most part, and you can find some good deals on there too.

I just sent in a GameGear to get repaired there and got a call the other day from them. The lady was real cool and said the technician asked if I wanted the audio repaired in addition to the video issue that I had sent it in for. It was a totally no-pressure, just asking if you want it kind of thing. I figured what the heck, had them fix the audio in addition to the video, and replace the screen(few scratches on mine), and I'll practically have a new GameGear. I haven't searched high and low, but they seem to have the cheapest repair services for GameGear and Lynx that I could find.

I think I'll have to check out jjgames now after hearing all the good stuff about that site.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

Insert Coin (Level 0) animus222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can vouch for Japan Game Stock for retro imports---I recently purchased a used CIB copy of Sonic and Knuckles for the Japanese Mega Drive from the site and it came REALLY fast and was packaged extremely well. Communication on the site is pretty good as well.

Another site to check out for retro imports is Play-Asia. They don't really specialize in retro games like JGS, but they do have some in their "Classics" section. I have been using the site for many years and have had no problems with them whatsoever, so it could be worth a look.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

I have been tempted multiple times to do orders with play asia.

They are good for most Sony things since PSP, PS3,PS4 are region free. For retro games most of it is region locked. I think the only way to play games from another region legit is to use a gameshark for what it compatible to make it region free. Every now and then I see they have a region free game even though the console is region locked. So even something like xbox 360 being region locked gets some love.

Most of those other region free third party devices meant to play games region free are constructed without proper licenses. So IMO I see no point in wasting money on them just to be called a purist and own the physical games. I'd rather just emulate them since at that point neither party distributing the content has proper licenses.

The only other legit way would be to buy the actual console of the region of the games you are wanting to play along with what ever type of power and TV converters you need. Which many people do but that seems an expensive route for me to go with so little imports that I want to play or even know about.

Thanks for the sites though. It's cool to browse at the least.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've placed numerous orders with BRE Software. You might remember them having advertisements in magazines such as EGM over a decade ago. Sign up for their email list and about once every four to six weeks they'll have a 40 or 50% off coupon code good for entire platforms or all of their used games. Don't bother buying from their website without a discount code.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Here's the best websites:

Best Electronics:
    http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/
    Very reliable, never any problems, US based

Songbird Productions:
    http://songbird-productions.com/catalog.shtml
    Top seller, again no problems.

Rare Earth Video Games:
    http://www.rareearthvideogames.com/s...600/Categories

Eli's Software
    http://www.elisoftware.com/servlet/StoreFront
    going for years

Good Deal Games:
    http://www.gooddealgames.com/Publish...600%20VCS.html

B&C Computer Visions:
    http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...userid=myatari

Trade n Games:
    http://www.tradengames.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Telegames US:
    http://www.telegames.com/publishing.htm

Telegames UK:
    http://www.telegames.co.uk/

another UK site with international delivery:
    http://www.retrogames.co.uk/

Insert Coin (Level 0) plasticMan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just out of curiosity - what's up with the $50.00 minimum before you can get free shipping. i mean this ploy to force customers to buy more really stinks.....

but yet i keep finding myself of victim of this crime.....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hit-Japan

Hello everyone, just registered to post some thoughts on the matter.

I've done a lot of transactions with Hit-Japan, and finally got burned. I bought 3 N64 Controllers off him, all Grade B (which means very good condition more or less).

One was the wrong color (got black instead of Mario Kart Black/Grey) and had a D-pad that couldn't hit diagonals. The other 2 had completely destroyed analog sticks.

I took the situation to the Paypal resolution center, and explained diplomatically to him that it was unfair for me to pay for worn out stuff. I asked for the price of 2 of the 3 controllers minus the shipping (a measly 24 bucks) and he granted it without so much as a word. But little did I know he was pissed about it and decided to block me.

I've tolerated some bullshit from him in the past... He gave me a "Grade B" Sega Saturn Controller that was (very poorly) repaired with glue... a lot of his stuff reeks of cigarette smoke also.

Some stuff was way beyond my expectations, some was way below. Overall I thought I was a good eBayer with him and never gave him a negative feedback (gave him 15 positive, 2 neutral in the end). He just had to be a dick and block me, even though he was in the wrong, misrepresenting worn out gear as good condition.

The only reason his feedback rating is so high is because people give positive when they get refunded. I'd say it belongs more around the 80-90 percent mark, not ~99 percent he has.

Just had to vent, I'm frustrated that he'd be such a dick about things.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bozo55 View Post
    I've done a lot of transactions with Hit-Japan, and finally got burned.
    Welcome to the club. That douchefuck has done that to quite a few people. Many will still defend him (them?), until they get burned, too. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing any time soon. He does enough business and 85% of the time it's acceptable, so he's not worried about a blocking a few people. But all the better. I'd rather not line thhe asshole's pockets with any of my money. There are other avenues, many of which are cheaper with a bit of patience.