Thread: Scart to YUV (component) adapter... screen ratio is bad, colors are way too bright?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Scart to YUV (component) adapter... screen ratio is bad, colors are way too bright?

I bought this adapter http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-SCART-RGB...ht_1404wt_1186 and a genesis model 1 scart cable. It didnt work on my Lg tv (not working with 240p signal) so i plugged it on my westinghouse 32'' lcd. Its working but the blacks are grey and almost white, the colors are way too clear, and there is a lot of flickering on top of the screen (like the health bars and timer in streets of rage 2). Also the bottom of the screen is cut off the image is stretched in 4:3, I have to use the ''fill'' option on my tv to get the whole screen but its 16:9. So far I really dont like this adapter and was a waste of money, it cost me 100$ and it looks worse than composite!! The image is clearer, but whats the point if the screen ratio and colors arent what they are supposed to be?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Scart to YUV

I have issues with this item also. Mine is there is a curvature in the image. I have posted a thread many years ago regarding this. Anyhow, if you open the converter up, you will see 3 pots that you can adjust. That would tone down the colors so that it is closer to what it should be. I hope that helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I had a component to vga adapter that I already owned for an old crt projector, so I used the scart to yuv and plugged the component cable to the component to vga adapter, and then the vga cable to my TV. The colors are now perfect, and the image is super sharp. the component to vga also uses its own power supply, so maybe it boosted the signal? Also when only using only the scart to yuv, I cant access the full menu of my tv to adjust picture, etc. But when using it with the vga one, I can access the "POP" option in the display setting, and it makes my TV full screen in 4:3 but it displays a little blue screen on the side. I will try to use some component monster cables i bought around 2002 for 100$ (lol lets see if the price makes a difference!) to see if it can help a little in the flickering (I tried 3 diiferent genesis and its all the same, so it might be the old hardware that makes artifacts). I will see if I can find my old portable HD Kodak to make a video of this setting. I wont open the scart to yuv to adjust the pots, the colors are perfect with the vga adapter. Now if i use the 32x, sega cd, genesis, tv, scart to yuv, yuv to vga, I need 6 power supplys and a fucking huge power bar to accomodate the bulky sega power supplys!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

scart to component boxes only change the encoding format. a TV's component jack must already handle the console's video mode.

No upscaling, aspect ratio options, 50/60hz conversion...

If the TV doesn't properly understand 240p what you tried to do won't work.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I dont know shit about technical stuff, but my setup only works with both the scart to yuv and yuv to vga. So even if you say it doesnt work, well it does!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It could be the tv accepts 240p from vga, yet not component. Years ago similarly low resolutions (320x200 etc) were common for PC games.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

it does work on component, only the colors are very, very, very bright! black looks like very pale grey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Have you tried the scart to yuv with a crt?
    Lum fan.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I have the same adapter. It's not a waste of money, but you have to accept its limitations. The color tint and contrast can be adjusted. If it's bad on one TV and good on another, then it's the TV's fault. My Sony LCD won't even accept the picture from SNES or SMS. Modern TV's were not designed with a 240p signal coming through component in mind.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Have you tried the scart to yuv with a crt?
    Thats what these boxes are made for (I am guessing). I bought one and it works really well on my 32" phillips crt. No problems, looks great.

Not a waste of money, but obviously not worth getting if you dont plan on using a CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I dont have a crt with component inputs, I had a HD widescreen one it was fucking huge, so I gave it to my mom! Ill try to find a smaller one, would be cool if they did some in 19'' size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have this box, and the same brightness problem too. It may look great on CRTs, as others here have also attested but the output is too bright for some LCDs. The solution is to add 100 ohm resistors to the RGB lines. You can do this by cutting traces and soldering the resistors to the board in the game system or by wiring resistors to the RGB pins in the Scart>YUV converter box.

Another solution is to mod your Scart cable. This is what I did for my multi-cable: because the output was too bright for my LCD tv but fine for my CRT, I wired a Scart connector with the resistors and a vga connector without and shoved it all in an Altoids tin. The color levels for the LCD are much better now; a bit washed out but closer to what they should be. I am thinking about swapping the resistors out for mini potentiometers later so I can fine-tune, but for now it is a huge improvement, especially since I was considering getting rid of the converter.

Finally, to fix the aspect ratio problem, you need to tap 5 volts from the Genesis' output, wire Scart pins 8 and 16 together with a 180 ohm resistor between them: this will put the aspect in "widescreen" mode (instead of stretched 4:3). The pinout depends on your model of Genesis; check it here:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/evilt...t.htm#megamstr

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130430_030229 (1).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	6569  
    Last edited by Tetsu; 04-30-2013 at 04:43 AM.