Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I just found a Wii in the garbage.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Even Wii's with dead disc drives are very useful because you can put homebrew on any Wii via SD card and make it so you can even boot Wii ISO's from a hard drive on top of all the other SD card functional emulators. The Wii is literally one of the easiest game systems to mod. The only totally useless Wii is a bricked one, or one with a dead SD card slot.
    I wouldn't say being able to use illegal roms is useful to the industry.

In that same sense you might as well make fun of everyone who buys a physical copy of a retro game instead of running an ISO in a emulator. If you're going to run illegal roms on a wii why even bother collecting NES/SNES/N64 etc just use roms and emulators for free too.

But you just use those legal homebrew apps. You'd never run illegal back ups.
    Last edited by needler420; 04-22-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So is this the newer horizontal model, or one of the older ones with GC compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Nope. I was being sarcastic.

Is it possible to replace the chips at all? It suggests that Wii Mini modding might be a thing someday. Of course, if regular Wiis are going to be common as dirt, that would make buying and messing with a Wii Mini slightly pointless.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    So is this the newer horizontal model, or one of the older ones with GC compatibility?

Is it possible to replace the chips at all? It suggests that Wii Mini modding might be a thing someday. Of course, if regular Wiis are going to be common as dirt, that would make buying and messing with a Wii Mini slightly pointless.
    GameCube compatible. I don't know much about the chips, but during the process of jailbreaking you can back-up your NAND chip image.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Is it possible to replace the chips at all?
    Not only possible, but they can be hot swapped as well.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-22-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good rescue.

It may be a hard sell as it is, but there are uses for it depending on your needs or others. It works fine as a netflix movie streaming box for one which is why mine is even plugged in anymore in the back bedroom. Also as other pointed out, warez. You can get a usb HDD and load it up with all sorts of junk, it's like the xbox emulator of that generation where you can put whatever you want on it and have at it. People still pay a bit for one of those things fixed up in such a way and the price goes up with the size of the included HDD and if it's preloaded. Not saying go do it, but obviously a random person wouldn't think of that when tossing it as it's just old electronics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Good rescue.

It may be a hard sell as it is, but there are uses for it depending on your needs or others. It works fine as a netflix movie streaming box for one which is why mine is even plugged in anymore in the back bedroom. Also as other pointed out, warez. You can get a usb HDD and load it up with all sorts of junk, it's like the xbox emulator of that generation where you can put whatever you want on it and have at it. People still pay a bit for one of those things fixed up in such a way and the price goes up with the size of the included HDD and if it's preloaded. Not saying go do it, but obviously a random person wouldn't think of that when tossing it as it's just old electronics.
    Yeah, I'm not going to sell it.

I'll probably keep it as a backup or a Netflix/Hulu box for the time being and then if I have a friend or relative in the future that waxes nostalgic about 8 and 16 bit games I'll jailbreak it, load it up with stuff and give it to them as a gift.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    Or they got a real gaming system like the PS3 /kupo
    I second this.

--

Good idea to keep it as a Netflix box like Tanooki mentioned. You've probably got atleast one SDTV hooked up, and a free Wii as a Netflix streaming device would be the perfect solution. I've got my PC and PSP for emulation, but having the ability to emulate anything up to N64 is good if the room the system is in doesn't already have those features, and with Gamecube bc you would actually have some good games to play outside of emulation. Just kidding. The Wii has "some" good games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So, I just found a Wii in the garbage.

Congrats on the cool find! GC compatible too! Wish I was so lucky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    ... having the ability to emulate anything up to N64 is good ...
    I've spent the past few months pretty extensively testing the emulation on Wii with my main system which is Jailbroken.

Based on what I've tried some of the emulators are exceptional.

NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, GB/GBC/GBA, C64, 2600, 7800, Coleco, Intellivision, LYNX, ZX Spectrum

And some are half-baked, temperamental, broken and/or abandoned by their originators

Neo-Geo, N64, MAME, Saturn.

Original XBOX is still a superior emulation box for classic stuff overall IMO - especially the build of MAME that runs on it, but what does work great on Wii works REALLY great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice, and it still has the Gamecube port cover attached to the top. I already see Wiis missing the flap quite often at swapmeets.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I wouldn't say being able to use illegal roms is useful to the industry.

In that same sense you might as well make fun of everyone who buys a physical copy of a retro game instead of running an ISO in a emulator. If you're going to run illegal roms on a wii why even bother collecting NES/SNES/N64 etc just use roms and emulators for free too.

But you just use those legal homebrew apps. You'd never run illegal back ups.
    I never said it was useful to the industry. It is useful for people who like a nice portable emulator box to take somewhere rather than haul their massive collection of 1000 game cartridges in their car when they go on vacation or something like that.

Your opinion about roms and whatnot has no effect on what other people such as myself would rather do with this system, PSPs original Xboxes and even PCs. We know how to make good use of what's left of any piece of hardware, even if it is not its original intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I've spent the past few months pretty extensively testing the emulation on Wii with my main system which is Jailbroken.

NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES, GB/GBC/GBA, C64, 2600, 7800, Coleco, Intellivision, LYNX, ZX Spectrum

And some are half-baked, temperamental, broken and/or abandoned by their originators

Original XBOX is still a superior emulation box for classic stuff overall IMO - especially the build of MAME that runs on it, but what does work great on Wii works REALLY great.
    I agree here. What I usually do because of the way controllers feel, I run what I can run well on the Wii then go back to the original Xbox if it runs better on there or doesn't even have an emulator available on the Wii. One system you can run really well with sound on the Wii but not the Xbox is Virtual Boy. It's also a great way to play Virtual Boy games without getting eyestrain from the original unit, which = longer playing sessions.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 04-23-2013 at 01:42 AM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Retr0mance - Gaming With Heart Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Retr0J

While walking to my car I found a perfectly good Wii stacked with some other abandoned electronics - a VCR, a cordless telephone and a composite DVD player.

The only thing that the Wii was missing was Wiimotes, of which I have a bunch.

Judging by the condition of the system (excellent) and the game save files on it (lots of kids games), I'm going to guess that the family that disposed of it upgraded to a Wii-U.

I believe Gamestop gives less than $20 for a Wii presently, and based on the saturation of the system it's probably even a tough thing to give away to friends/family.

I saved it from total disposal. Couldn't help myself.

A Wii in the trash. An interesting social commentary as to where we are in this console generation and what the current "value" of the Wii is.

Here are some photos of the main unit for posterity:

Wow this is actually really sad to see this in the trash! Just went and had a look on Amazon and they are selling for like £30 each. It was labelled as "revolutionary" when it came out and this is the end result.

Bizarre!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Why even waste time with console emulation? If you're going to bother to pirate video games you might as well do it on a PC where it's the best emulation and you can use different controllers a lot easier.

Anything your console can do your PC can do better.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Great Save...

I'd had stopped Short Quick to save it...
    I usually pick up DVD players as they seem to go bad on me often,and I get lucky the ones I pick up work,or they are just jammed..

It's amazing the stuff people throw out...Pisses me off sometimes as it seems people have,throw away money..

But when they do throw stuff out like that... I call it Free Money..

Just like that Surround Sound System I recently Sold...It was thrown out on curb,I sold it a week later for $40.00=Free Money..
    Thats $40.00 found on a curb to me..

Yesterday was bulk trash day in my town....BIG CRT TVS on The curb,Flat screen CRT Tv..Dressers.TV cabinets,stools...HUGE projection TVS..
    I have no room for this stuff...

Driving around though doing errands we did stop and pick up a very nice little girls bike with training wheels for my daughter..

Flea Market vendors want $50.00 for Wii Consoles.with no controller port doors nor any hook ups..Untested door stops...
    I have one on my shelf that a buddy of mine got burnt buying......It's Toast..but I won't chuck it..

He just got burnt buying another one with 5 games for $75.00..from a family doing a garage sale..it doesn't work and they swore it did.....He really got beat on that one..I think he felt bad for the family.

One of these days I'll snag one of these..I have one in my kids room but I want a second set up for my room..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Why even waste time with console emulation? If you're going to bother to pirate video games you might as well do it on a PC where it's the best emulation and you can use different controllers a lot easier.

Other than the PC in my MAME cabinet and a few online browser based things I don't game on PC at all.

Had a few dedicated gaming PCs in the late 90s but I just couldn't deal with the scaling, compatibility and inexplicable hardware issues. Gave it up then and after several robust generations of console and portable hardware, I've never missed it.

Yes, I know it's much better now, but I've never been inclined to get into it again. What's available on consoles and portables more than satisfies me entirely and what games/genres are fully unique to PCs (MMORPGS, RTS, Minecraft, Advanced FPS competition, etc.) are way outside of my tastes/wheelhouse anyway.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The depends entirely on your PC and which operating system you are using and their compatibility. At least with consoles you don't have to look at specs because they are the same across the board. You don't have to take a gamble buying a random costly PC wondering "gee I wonder if these particular emulators will run correctly on this one or not." My laptop, a Toshiba Satellite A505 is worse at emulation than my old Dell Inspiron 1100 was and it's newer and faster! It can run a few emulators that wouldn't run on the Inspiron, but the hiccups it has and the screen tearing are an issue with all of them, even weaker systems like the NES. If only my old Dell hadn't had its screen and headphone jack broken when the cat knocked over the TV tray...
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Some people throw away the damndest things. Several years back, I was hanging around at a local computer surplus store, looking for RAM for an ancient iMac, when a couple of guys came into the store looking to sell some computers. The employee running the store asked what they had, and the guys rattled off a bunch of vintage computers, including the Apple Lisa, at which my ears perked up.

The store employee said that he couldn't buy their computers, since they were too old to be supportable, so the guys asked if they could just leave them in the parking lot. When asked if they knew that the computers were valuable, they replied that they didn't care, and that they just wanted to get rid of them. After the guys had left, I went outside the store to see if it could possibly be true. Sure enough, sitting in the parking lot was an Apple Lisa 2, complete with keyboard and mouse. I quickly loaded it into my car, along with an IBM PCjr and an Apple //e which they'd also left behind.

I went back later in the day to get something I'd left behind, and encountered two men who were loading the remaining stuff into a truck to take it to be scrapped. My guess is that, had I not rescued it, the Lisa would've ended up in a dump somewhere. I still can't fathom why someone would leave something this rare sitting in a parking lot, even after being told that it might have value to it.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
    I still can't fathom why someone would leave something this rare sitting in a parking lot, even after being told that it might have value to it.
    Laziness. Never underestimate how lazy people can be, assuming they're well enough off to not be desperate for as much cash as they can get. It's really the same reason why people donate good things to thrift stores or price stuff cheap at yard sales, it's just to quickly get rid of stuff they don't want. If that doesn't work they'll just throw it out. With yard sales you don't have to leave your property, it's easier than having to dump it somewhere else. With thrift stores you don't have to be outside watching your stuff for several hours. Either way it's mostly laziness.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't fathoming throwing away electronics.

Although it really has to be done doesn't it? Like, old CRT TVs and other outdated junk.

Hell, some people don't even throw out dead batteries! Too far am I right?
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Considering old batteries have a nasty habit of leaking all over the place, yes, that would be too far.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)