Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some uses for an extra copy of Keith Courage.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What are some uses for an extra copy of Keith Courage.

The Turbochip, it wouldn't be worth it to sell it. So I need ideas.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a fondness for ol' Keith Courage. I say hold on to it and trade it for another common TG-16 game someday in the future. It's not like it's taking up any space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Whats up with all the pointless threads lately????

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Same uses as any other cheap, common game. Include it in a lot you're selling or trade it for another cheap, common game to someone who doesn't have it yet. There are always collectors new to the TG-16 who have yet to get the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had one years ago that didn't work - I drilled a hole in the corner of it and made it a key chain. Never lost sight of of keys after that.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    I had one years ago that didn't work - I drilled a hole in the corner of it and made it a key chain. Never lost sight of of keys after that.
    I did the same thing with my original copy of Ghost House for the Master System. Though it worked just fine since the board doesn't reach anywhere near that far.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep it locked up, never know man, in 50 years it could be seriously sought after for a working copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Am I the only one that thinks Keith Courage was actually a decent game ?

I know it's just launch goggles from buying a TG-16 back in December of 1989. I played the game quite a bit and really enjoyed it back in 89 and 90. Sure, looking back on the game, I realize that it's pretty lame, but all things considered, I still think it's a half-way decent game.

It's mostly just the nostalgia talking though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually like Keith Courage, its not a bad game. But some how I have wound up with an extra copy of it, its kind of not worth much to sell it individually though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    The Turbochip, it wouldn't be worth it to sell it. So I need ideas.
    Turbochip? Make Turbo Nachos with those Turbo Chips by putting some cheese on top of them (cheese as in cash... dollar bills) Then post a picture of it as a joke somewhere.

The serious thing to do is just save it for when and if you find an extra system or in case you find other games to bundle it with. You are right, it is usually not worth it to sell games individually unless you do it locally or if the game is worth a lot on its own. To ship out a single $2-3 game is a waste of effort unless you have a store where you get tons of individual orders and are already going to go to the post office.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post

I know it's just launch goggles from buying a TG-16 back in December of 1989. I played the game quite a bit and really enjoyed it back in 89 and 90. Sure, looking back on the game, I realize that it's pretty lame, but all things considered, I still think it's a half-way decent game.

I like Keith Courage and remember it fondly as does an old buddy of mine who also had a TG-16 back in the day. You're right on about the "launch goggles" contributing to the love of the game as the graphics were seemingly leaps and bounds above what the NES ever delivered previously, but it still holds up as a decent [I won't even tack on the "half-way" because I feel so almost passionately about Keith Courage ] video game experience. It may not make gamers' jaws drop in wonder as to how a system that had such an amazing game got buried in the 16-bit War [yeah, yeah, I know it's not a true 16-bit system, but whatever], but it does not merit the o' so trendy bashing that it receives today. I, for one, enjoy the mixing up of the slower upper world with the faster paced lower world. It was cool at the tail end of the '80s and it's cool today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    Keep it locked up, never know man, in 50 years it could be seriously sought after for a working copy.
    Look at Super Mario World. At one point you couldn't give it away, now it's magically worth 8-10 bucks :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post

I always thought it was a pretty fun game myself. Actually played though it a couple months ago on my PSP to rekindle some childhood memories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Look at Super Mario World. At one point you couldn't give it away, now it's magically worth 8-10 bucks :/
    Though SNES stuff has become really desirable as of late, I figure this is because more people want a childhood nostalgia rush.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    More like $10-$15 now, if it still saves properly. For awhile I used to pass on copies as it was so common, now if I find copies for under $5 I pick them up. So many common games are getting harder to find now. I barely see SNES games at thrift stores anymore and when I do they're usually sports games or priced above $5.

I'm not big on Keith Courage, I never played the system when it came out but when I first played the game a few years ago it wasn't that fun. There are amazing games on the Turbografx but this isn't one of them, it's decent at best.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Keith Courage really just serves as proof that the TG16 is in fact an 8-bit system with a fancy graphics chip. Not that there was anything wrong with that when the PCE came out in Japan, but going head to head against the Genesis in America, it's kinda obvious why they lost out on that one, even before you get into marketing, third party support, etc.

What to do with an extra copy? Throw it on a stack or something, lol.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Keith Courage really just serves as proof that the TG16 is in fact an 8-bit system with a fancy graphics chip. Not that there was anything wrong with that when the PCE came out in Japan, but going head to head against the Genesis in America, it's kinda obvious why they lost out on that one, even before you get into marketing, third party support, etc.

What to do with an extra copy? Throw it on a stack or something, lol.
    Haha, are you suggesting that Keith Courage is somehow the ultimate demonstration of the TurboGrafx's abilities? A mediocre licensed platformer selected as a pack-in probably because of 1) its genre, 2) its friendly art style, and 3) it being a relatively easy localization? The game is by no means a console showcase, and even for its time ('88, '89), there was far more graphically impressive stuff out for the PC-Engine. Imagine pitting Altered Beast against something like, say, Legendary Axe (a game that really ought to have been in Keith Courage's place) -- are you telling me the TG16 comes across as being a generation behind in that match-up? No way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    Haha, are you suggesting that Keith Courage is somehow the ultimate demonstration of the TurboGrafx's abilities? A mediocre licensed platformer selected as a pack-in probably because of 1) its genre, 2) its friendly art style, and 3) it being a relatively easy localization? The game is by no means a console showcase, and even for its time ('88, '89), there was far more graphically impressive stuff out for the PC-Engine. Imagine pitting Altered Beast against something like, say, Legendary Axe (a game that really ought to have been in Keith Courage's place) -- are you telling me the TG16 comes across as being a generation behind in that match-up? No way.
    Exactly. Keith Courage was a quickie localization of a anime-based platformer (Mashin Hero Wataru), never the hallmark of a good game on any system. It's not a terrible game by any means, just extremely generic and underwhelming. I also agree that The Legendary Axe should have been the pack-in game for the system - a unique property that was an excellent introduction to the potential the console had (in the US anyway, potential fully realized in Japan).

An incorrect marketing approach, lack of localizing most of the library, and the very anime-centric lineup at a time before that would have made any kind of headway in the USA are the big reasons why the TG-16 did so poorly in the USA. However if someone wants to argue that all those flashy looking and shitty playing sports games that Sega pushed for the first year of the Genesis were what killed the system, by all means go on. Compare the Japanese launch of both systems - no matter how many great games may have been released for the Mega Drive, it was crushed by the PC Engine from the start in the country where all the games were actually released. Also, all the BS about only having a single controller port still cracks me up. I'll tell you now, after thirteen years of electronics retail, that once consoles started shipping with a single controller, getting someone to buy a second controller was like pulling teeth until the Wii. If I was in the hardware business I would save the money on production too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Though SNES stuff has become really desirable as of late...
    And TG-16 stuff hasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    More like $10-$15 now, if it still saves properly. For awhile I used to pass on copies as it was so common, now if I find copies for under $5 I pick them up. So many common games are getting harder to find now. I barely see SNES games at thrift stores anymore and when I do they're usually sports games or priced above $5.

I'm not big on Keith Courage, I never played the system when it came out but when I first played the game a few years ago it wasn't that fun. There are amazing games on the Turbografx but this isn't one of them, it's decent at best.
    I guess it depends on where you live. $8-10 is typical for local shops in my area. Though some are desperately trying for 20+, but they have like 15 copies on their shelves, which tells me that's not working so well for them.

Same here though, I pick up sub-$5 copies on occasion. Hopefully that bubble doesn't burst before I unload them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If it works, sell it for whatever you can get to get out from under it as it's overly common.

If it's broken, use your imagination. Keychain was already said. You could also go with:
    Cheese spreader for crackers
    Convert it into a tiny clock
    Level a wobbly chair or table