Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 3DO. My second favorite video game console ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    "Next generation" is meaningless.

In the mid 1990s, would you rather have been playing Crash and Burn and Myst, or Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Chrono Trigger?
    I think I'd rather play a Studio II than play Yoshi's Island. That game is awful.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    I think I'd rather play a Studio II than play Yoshi's Island. That game is awful.
    I wonder if you and Manga4life are either trolling or just don't have souls. I know the baby crying aspect is annoying, but other than that I can find nothing wrong with the game at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I wonder if you and Manga4life are either trolling or just don't have souls. I know the baby crying aspect is annoying, but other than that I can find nothing wrong with the game at all.
    Not trolling at all. I loved Super Mario World for the SNES, but part 2 was just not my cup of tea.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a 3DO a couple of months ago and one thing I can say about the system is it seems pretty well built. Fz1 and its heavy as hell But it doesn't make me nervous the way my Sega CD model 1 does. The games I've tried so far have pretty much been crap but I will put in a vivid Interactive adult game for a good laugh with friends.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Not trolling at all. I loved Super Mario World for the SNES, but part 2 was just not my cup of tea.
    Definitely agree with this. I can't stand Yoshi's Island. Makes me wanna vomit. There are three SNES games that everyone seems to love that I just cannot stand: Earthbound, Harvest Moon, and Yoshi's Island. I just don't get the love for these.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Definitely agree with this. I can't stand Yoshi's Island. Makes me wanna vomit. There are three SNES games that everyone seems to love that I just cannot stand: Earthbound, Harvest Moon, and Yoshi's Island. I just don't get the love for these.
    I've never played Harvest Moon, but I can't stand Earthbound either.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't played Harvest Moon, or Earthbound, but Yoshi's Island is great.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I consider Yoshi's Island to be the best platformer of all time, unless you count Mario Galaxy, and even then it is a close call.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    "Next generation" is meaningless.

In the mid 1990s, would you rather have been playing Crash and Burn and Myst, or Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Chrono Trigger?
    Well, if you asked me in 1994, if I'd rather be playing AD&D Slayer or Donkey Kong Country, I'd rather play Slayer. Sorry. But it's one of those things where you'd need to time travel back to 1994 to understand. When Road Rash first came out in the summer of 1994, it seemed unbelievable next-level at that time. Now, I know, that almost 20 years later, a game like Donkey Kong Country stands the test of time better than Road Rash on the 3DO, but if you were there in 1994, you wouldn't think that to be the case. It's all perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    The 3DO is a turd IMO. Bought one back I the day to play SSF2T and then sold it when there were ports for other systems that I actually like. I've never even considered picking one up again.

Star Control was probably the only other game that I cared about.

The 3DO doesn't belong with the best systems to ever come along, but I would rather have the 3DO, and 20 of it's best games, than the Jaguar or 32X and their 20 best games (if they even have 20 good games)

Here is how I would rank the 20 best 3DO games by the way:

1. Road Rash
    2. Out of this World
    3. Gex
    4. AD & D Slayer
    5. Escape from Monster Manor
    6. Fifa International Soccer
    7. Need For Speed
    8. Return Fire
    9. The Horde
    10. Wolfenstein 3D
    11. Star Fighter
    12. Crash N Burn
    13. Total Eclipse
    14. Shockwave
    15. Way of the Warrior
    16. Night Trap
    17. Alone in the Dark
    18. Captain Quazar
    19. Killing Time
    20. Demolition Man

Best of the Rest: John Madden Football - Sewer Shark - Star Control II - Blade Force - Foes of Ali - Phoenix 3 - Slam N Jam - Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Shockwave: Operation Jumpgate - Wing Commander 3
    Last edited by WCP; 04-27-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Well, if you asked me in 1994, if I'd rather be playing AD&D Slayer or Donkey Kong Country, I'd rather play Slayer. Sorry. But it's one of those things where you'd need to time travel back to 1994 to understand. When Road Rash first came out in the summer of 1994, it seemed unbelievable next-level at that time. Now, I know, that almost 20 years later, a game like Donkey Kong Country stands the test of time better than Road Rash on the 3DO, but if you were there in 1994, you wouldn't think that to be the case. It's all perspective.
    I did play it back in 1994 in stores. Gex was really fun. I don't think it topped DKC as a platformer though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember being so good at Night Trap for the 3DO that me and my buddy would play through it and only miss like 1 of the dudes who you have to trap. We knew which camera to switch to at what time and exactly what room to shoot to and whatnot, it was pretty intense, I tried playing it a week or so ago and the game didn't last very long at all.....lol. Man, I miss those days.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a teenager, the thought of owning a 3DO was laughable. It was far too expensive, and the heavy use of digitized graphics and FMV were a turn off even back then. The local store I frequented had the systems and games for rent, but I never seriously considered trying it out. I would look at the game boxes, as any gamer would, but then rent a PlayStation game, or buy one of their $5 NES used titles, which were relatively expensive at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

OP: You mentioned Escape From Monster Manor (which I've seen in YouTube videos, reminds me a wee bit of Nitemare 3-D on PC, maybe a bit lower quality gameplay, but higher quality visuals), but how about Killing Time and PO'ed (respectively also on PC, and PO'ed got an improved release on PlayStation, reportedly)?

I tried out one of the Shockwave games I picked up a while ago (almost picked up the whole series in one go - left one because I didn't realize it was an expansion, d'oh, but I was running low on cash) in a 3DO emulator and it seemed really slow, almost to the point of being unplayable. Does that seem right?

Anyway, I can definitely respect a choice of a system that made a big break with the routine games of the time. However I just wish more 3DO games married those nice visuals and the CD-ROM to more compelling gameplay. Imagine, for example, games more like Dracula X on the PC-Engine CD, but on 3DO instead. I'm sure it would have handled it brilliantly. At the same time, it's hard not to have a little soft spot for some of the cheesy FMV videos; it's not all just about hard platforming and shootin' games, after all. I think people have gotten years of enjoyment out of games like Corpse Killer (although I would've preferred to see Vincent Schiavelli in Crypt Killer - I'm sure he could've been fit in somehow, right?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 3DO was the perfect example of never judging a book by it's cover because once you turned the page there was plenty of good content to take in.

I remember countless nights of staying up late playing AD&D Slayer, a game I consider to be my favorite ever, and listening to the amazing soundtrack or trying to figure out how to get the alternate version of the game (there were two different paths). I remember getting stuck into pickles and fighting my way out in epic battles with moments of "awe", my friend Billy (R.I.P) would play the game morning, noon, and night while trying different classes out and finding which ones we likes the most. God.....I don't ever think I played a game more than I played that one.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    The 3DO is one of the consoles that I never even had an urge to get into, along with CD-i and Atari Jaguar. Of those three, only about the 3DO have I heard good somewhat good things, although this is the first time I ever heard anyone put it up there with their favorites. It has to be nostalgia.

Maybe one year I'll finally break down and buy one (heaven knows I'm not getting any next-gen systems, so I'll be able to afford it). Any recommendations? What to look for? What to get? Top 10/25/50 games?
    Those are the exact consoles I never had an urge to own. Although I did pick up the Zelda CDi games years ago before they were expensive. Wish I still had those...

What I really want to know though is if the Luceinnes Quest is a good game? I almost bought a 3DO many times because I wanted to try that game. There is next to no info online. Is it worth buying the console for?

I remember back in the day I wanted one because the box art on the back of the street fighter had Akuma on it. I still want to try that game, and Road Rash on 3DO. Maybe one day I will get one. Which is the best version console to get? Is there a real difference in them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    Those are the exact consoles I never had an urge to own. Although I did pick up the Zelda CDi games years ago before they were expensive. Wish I still had those...

What I really want to know though is if the Luceinnes Quest is a good game? I almost bought a 3DO many times because I wanted to try that game. There is next to no info online. Is it worth buying the console for?

I remember back in the day I wanted one because the box art on the back of the street fighter had Akuma on it. I still want to try that game, and Road Rash on 3DO. Maybe one day I will get one. Which is the best version console to get? Is there a real difference in them?
    Luciennes Quest was fun, I enjoyed the time I spent with that game and played it quite a bit back around 1997 or so and felt like it played a lot like Final Fantasy. The music was really cool and the graphics were enhanced enough from SNES RPG's that the game really felt "next gen" at the time, it's totally worth playing if you love turn based RPG's.

As for the 3DO system worth owning, I have the original Panasonic FZ deck, but I think the top loading Panasonic second model had more internal memory.
    Twitter Follow me!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

WCP, I know exactly what you mean. One of my first jobs out of high school was working in the electronics department of Montgomery Ward where we had a 3DO demo kiosk on display (started there in 1994). When I first saw the graphics and the shiny CD Rom game discs I was blown away by how advanced and futuristic it all seemed at the time. Although I loved playing those games in the store on my lunch break (or whenever the boss wasn't looking!) I was always depressed by the fact that I knew I would never get to own one of those amazing machines, given its ridiculous $700 price tag. So yeah, to really appreciate the 3DO I think you had to be there from the beginning to witness its truly striking debut.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was great the day I bought it with my friend back in early 1996 as I noted in my original post in this thread. I remember playing AD&D Slayer and being blown away because I've never played much in the way of first person games and this game had such high quality graphics at the time, and I also remember being enthralled by Myst and it's photo realistic pictures and video of the people talking in the books. It was pretty awesome back then. I remember just wandering around the world in Myst for hours, accomplishing nothing mind you, but it was absolutely fun and entertaining.

God I love the 3DO.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was always interested in Slayer since seeing screenshots of it in promotional flyers in other SSI games. I might have to go and hunt it down now...interesting note about a possible alternate version.

SSI had a bunch of really interesting stuff out, but I don't know how much of it caught the public imagination. Some of it needed a bit more in the way of replayability, but they were one of the best really.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lakerstowin

Quote Originally Posted by Xian042 View Post
    wait a minute, how has NOBODY mentioned Star Control II yet?

Yeah, for sure.