Thread: Major Gaming Disappointments

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Major Gaming Disappointments

What were some major disappointing moments you had when gaming?

For myself, it would be finding a very short text message ending after a long winded, tedious game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I bought this when I was a kid at a garage sale. After a heavy RPG kick including (the non-RPG) LttP, Secret of Mana, and FFII US, I was really disappointed when I put this in my SNES. I did beat it, but it was more because it was something new, and I could only spend so much time on Kirby's Dream Course (which I bought at the same garage sale).

At least it gave me a story, though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me the one that sticks out more than any other is when I bought Double Dragon III (NES) with my hard earned kid money just as it was released, because I loved the first two Double Dragon games. I got it home and started playing, got killed on the first stage and I said "That's okay, I'm still getting a feel for it." Then the screen said GAME OVER. And I said "What the fuck?! ONE LIFE?!" You only get one life?! I just blew $40, when I could have had any other game, on this thing with one life? I did eventually finish it, but I still don't like it. Double Dragon III sucks.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Airwolf and Knight Rider on the NES were both horrible. I loved the Airwolf arcade game and Knight Rider was another favorite show and both games were shit. I didn't realize when I was a kid how much shit Aklaim made. I later got Airwolf for the famicom and it is very similar to the arcade but hard as hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I can remember buying Platoon for the NES..I was so exited for this game..I was big into war movies and playing guns and war games back then, and had loved the movie(my parents didnt care what i watched as a kid). So i saved up and got this game, and wow..what garbage it was..saved up for like a month for this pos game..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me it was Atari Football for the 2600 - when I was 11, my brother and I saved for it - it was a horrible game. We returned it to service merchandise and bought adventure instead... So the story had a happy ending
    Load "*",8,1

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TV Tropes calls it "A Winner is You", BTW.

Very amusing read, check it out.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original Double Dragon port on the NES. It looked like crap and, discounting the throwaway versus mode, there was no two player simultaneous mode. What a let down.

Bad Dudes coming home from the arcades to the NES was, likewise, a complete disaster.

Initially, I was very pissed at Namco for Tekken 4 because they took away Jin's counters and totally scrapped his old fighting style. Eventually I adjusted, and then Tekken 5 set all things Jin straight once more.

Escape from Monkey Island. I wasn't wild about the character design change for Guybrush Threepwood in Curse of Monkey Island [the new cartoony style was alright, though I missed the old school pixel goodness of the first two], but the horrid polygon look of the fourth installment violated my eyes worse than the tidal wave of acid that crashed into Rainier Wolfcastle despite the goggles in the filming of Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy: The Movie. Dispensing with the point and click play control was also a game killer. The story and puzzles were relatively meh as well. O' Ron Gilbert, how we miss thee.

While I'm sure I could recollect plenty more to bitch about, that will suffice for tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ridiculously difficult games on NES. Ghosts and Goblins and Castlevania immediately come to mind. Why make a game so maddeningly difficult that few if any players can actually beat it?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Most of my N64 rentals back in the day. Either the games weren't fun or just too short. The first game that really jumps to mind is Chameleon Twist. it's a fun game and all, but it's piss easy and horribly short to boot. It takes about two playthroughs to see everything, which I finished within two hours of my three day rental. And this isn't a game that plays well past the first time, let me tell you.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Ridiculously difficult games on NES. Ghosts and Goblins and Castlevania immediately come to mind. Why make a game so maddeningly difficult that few if any players can actually beat it?
    They're short. You can beat Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden in an hour if you get good enough, so if it's hard, you have to practice for days. Really makes your dollar stretch. On the flip side, the arcade ones were even more brutal in order to get you to plop in more quarters. I enjoy the challenge, although I think I get more frustrated more easily now than as a kid. I remember going through Ghouls N Ghosts on the Genesis and not really getting that angry.

One day, old enemy, one day I'll see the end of you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSkCI7YBHFI