Thread: Installed New NES Pin Connetor, Nothing But Blank Black Screen.

Insert Coin (Level 0) thewildace's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Installed New NES Pin Connetor, Nothing But Blank Black Screen.

I got a new 72 pin connector for my N.E.S., and I just tried it, but nothing comes up when I turn it on, but a blank, black screen, no matter which games I try on it? Any ideas as to why this may be the case? I thought the new connector would fix such issues? Anybody else here ever have this issue, and what to do about it? Thanks for any help in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make sure your games are clean. No point in a new connector if your games are all mucked up. The design of it is pretty awful and doomed to fail in the first place, and a lot of the "new" connectors on eBay aren't.

Did the same thing happen with the old connector? There might be something else wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rubbing alcohol is your friend and Brasso metal polish is your salvation when worse comes to worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you might want to disable the lock-out chip as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vL5TE0UQo

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

It is a good investment for anyone with a collection of cartrige games to get a bit for opening NES, SNES, GENESIS Carts, to take out the board and give it a good clean of the connectors. [dont clean the board] but you will be able to lay the board flat to wipe the connectors down with a good solvent. isopropyl is great. Or if your a gun guy Lead Away is great for removing any surface rust or gunk from a connector. Another thing is see if you can find a retro game cleaner. A good one will come with cards to use in the consoles with a high frequency cleaner.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Clean the old connector and put it back in the console, see if it works then. If it does then the new connector is defective, plenty of the new ones are poor quality garbage and I avoid buying consoles that have new connectors installed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Guys if it was a dirty game or the lockout chip being a pain in the ass you would get a flickering screen usually in gray or some color, but anything that goes in is just straight black. To me that says larger problem than the pins being mucked. Perhaps the thing wasn't installed lined up just right. It could be a bad connector which would just be weird, or something else might have become loose or unplugged on the board causing it just to fail.

I'd tear it down, clean maybe a bit more, and reassemble and see what happens.

Also if you have the original good NOA made pins, use a needle and bend the pins a little bit back towards center where they would have been new decades ago. I do this as I have no respect for new ones as they tend to be of poorer quality.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

New pin connectors = new garbage. Seriously if it worked before and not now, get yo self a new pin connector.

edit: i mean a different working pin connector..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Take the new connector off, thoroughly clean the connector on the main board (that this new connector attached to), add a thin coat of dialectic grease to the connectors on the main board, reinstall new cart connector and try again. Works like Colt .45 for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Guys if it was a dirty game or the lockout chip being a pain in the ass you would get a flickering screen usually in gray or some color, but anything that goes in is just straight black. To me that says larger problem than the pins being mucked. Perhaps the thing wasn't installed lined up just right. It could be a bad connector which would just be weird, or something else might have become loose or unplugged on the board causing it just to fail.

I'd tear it down, clean maybe a bit more, and reassemble and see what happens.

Also if you have the original good NOA made pins, use a needle and bend the pins a little bit back towards center where they would have been new decades ago. I do this as I have no respect for new ones as they tend to be of poorer quality.
    I've had dirty games cause a blank screen. However, I agree it isn't the lockout chip.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I've had dirty games cause a blank screen. However, I agree it isn't the lockout chip.
    Dirty NES games usually provoke a "blank screen" due to censorship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had a new connector instantly ruined upon inserting a game due to the overly tight pins getting bent. Take out the connector and look inside it for any bent or crumpled pins.

While you are doing that, take your old connector, boil it in water for five minutes, dry, and reinsert it into your NES. It will work.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I have been doing repairs on these systems for years,I've sold thousands of Nintendo's ..I currently do repairs for a friend for sells the systems at flea markets..$25.00 with new pin,-hook ups and free game..(not much or any profit in that huh)

..sitting to my right is a bag of old pin connectors from past repairs..

I have to do a repair pick up Sunday..

I HATE Fixing these systems so I no longer take in repairs otherwise, or sell these systems..I have bins and boxes of parts that I want to get rid of...

I used to have the time to bend the old pin connector pins but it's timely.and a paid when I could be doing other things to make money..
    .It's really is the best darn way with the garbage new pin connectors sold today..(plus cleaning as mentioned)

My friend needs the systems done quick so I buy the new pins by the 10..at least 4 are no good..if you take a real good look at them the plastic and pins are warped like a banana..EBay sellers warranty them but don’t live up to that arguing dirty games were used..voiding the warranty.

I’d love to find one seller who is reliable ,who sells the new pin connectors..

What ever happened to the GOLD pin new 72 pin connectors?

I recently found an older new 72 pin connector in my repair bins and you can see just how different the older china new type pin connectors were made compared to todays..Years ago I had better luck with the new pin connectors..

Often dirty games are the culprit with these systems.
    Sadly with the new JUNK 72 pin connectors of today it’s tough to narrow down the issue..

What I have found with black screens is somehow the new pin connector crossed ,shorted when put on the board..it either has bent inner touching pins up inside or when slid on the board the pins are not aligned right on the board causing it to short..the board may be toast..I find that leaving the board sit for a day sometimes bring it back,you have to press the power switch to on with no plug in the system .you’ll notice if you had tried the system recently the red light will light up quickly with no plug in as a capacitor s still holding some electricity..

Try the old Pin..I instantly put it back in once I get grey,pin,blue screens..just to see if it’s the new pin..

I have one crazy NES system here..no matter how many New pin connectors I’ve tried it it it’ll always go to a blank screen..If I put the old repaired pin back in it works ..So I use it to test games..

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Immutable View Post
    Dirty NES games usually provoke a "blank screen" due to censorship.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

Thats is GREAT!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/pr...al-Repair-Kit/

I thought in another thread someone said they got a connector from this site and they were pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/pr...al-Repair-Kit/

I thought in another thread someone said they got a connector from this site and they were pretty good.
    I've used a couple from them and not had any issues yet. I would avoid the ones on eBay like the plague. I too will avoid any NES that has had the connector replaced. In my opinion it drops the value. I would buy any old connectors that people had if I could. They're easy enough to refurbish. I suggest tossing the new connector and refurbishing the old one by carefully bending the pins back and cleaning them. I've never tried the boil method, but many claim it works. While you're at it I would clean the connector on the board. Disable the lockout chip while you're in there and inspect all the caps. Lastly, clean all your games before putting them in the system.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thewildace View Post
    I got a new 72 pin connector for my N.E.S., and I just tried it, but nothing comes up when I turn it on, but a blank, black screen, no matter which games I try on it? Any ideas as to why this may be the case? I thought the new connector would fix such issues? Anybody else here ever have this issue, and what to do about it? Thanks for any help in advance.
    Most of the new pin connectors are so badly made, you shouldn't even bother with them. A few NESes I was asked to repair had those pin connectors in them and I was lent some replacement connectors that are bent outward in the middle of the connector. One of them even had a pin that was bent so far back, I couldn't get it back into place. Do yourself a favor, get the original pin connector of this NES, clean it and tighten the bottom row of pins enough so that you won't have to push the games down for them to work.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an Ebay NES with new 72-pin that I bought back in 2002. Tight getting the carts in, but works fine.
    So the quality of the 72-pin connectors has gone downhill since then?

I kind of wish I hadn't fallen for the hype of the new connectors back then (I think I paid more than 50 bucks for the refurbed system, with obvious signs that gentle care was not used when opening the chassis) and just fixed up an original. Oh well.