Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NES Advantage joystick

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The NES Advantage joystick

You know what's fun? Sometimes when I'm not in the mood to use the traditional NES controller and I'm playing NES games that were ones arcade games (TMNT II, Double Dragon II, Pac-Man, ect) I like to use the NES Advantage because it kind of feels like a classic arcade machine joystick while playing. Oddly enough I don't use the "advantage" features such as turbo and whatnot, but I love to play arcade games as if they're arcade games, it gives me that classic back in the day arcade feel. I have a small table I plant the Advantage on and use that to steady the controller, there is nothing worse than playing a game with the NES Advantage stick on your lap, too much turbulance while smashing buttons.

Was there any other NES arcade sticks worth owning that I should know about?
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I've written elsewhere, I only use the NES Advantage. NES gamepads made my hands hurt and I didn't like the inconsistency of playing with my thumbs at home and with my hands at the arcade, so I got an NES Advantage and my problems were solved. Since then I've ditched gamepads and used arcade joysticks exclusively.

In my opinion the NES Advantage is the best joystick for the NES. I've also used the Quickshot Maverick II, the Beeshu Jammer (as seen on that old "SECRET Video Game tips, hints and strategies" tape) and the Capcom Fighter Power Stick (Which came with cables for NES and SNES) and none of them are as comfortable and responsive as the NES Advantage. But I do rather like the joysticks Nintendo used for their arcade hardware (VS unisystem games, Playchoice 10, Donkey Kong, etc.) and someday I might make an NES joystick out of one.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I dunno man, I don't really like Nintendo Joysticks. The NES advantage feels squishy to me. The control panels in all their arcade machines are flimsy and loaded with excessive parts (look at how their buttons are set up!) and the sticks are really tiny. It's okay for Mario Brothers where there's a 2-way restrictor on the sticks, so it doesn't really matter, but in a Vs. System or Playchoice 10 it's kind of a problem. I replaced the sticks in my PC-10 with Sanwas and put an 8-way gate on them, and they're much better now. I also ripped out those crazy lever contraptions they have for the buttons and replaced them with simple screw-in buttons with an attatched horizontal microswitch and the whole thing is way better than stock. Unfortunately, Japanese-style Sanwa or Seimitsu button are too big to fit in Nintendo control panels or I would have gone that route.

I guess it's fun to play with the Advantage occasionally, but whenever I do I play much wore than I would with a pad.

I'm playing NES games on a Sharp Twin Famicom now. I see there's a wierdly-shaped Famicom arcade stick out there. Has anybody used it? Is it any good?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

The only problem I have with the nintendo advantage is that the buttons are cheap and sometimes stick. The joystick itself is kinda nice. The turbo function is awesome with certain games, try it with gun.smoke or 1943 for great results.

Ive got a NTDEC Turbo Jr. "for Family Computer" Joystick for NES which, is Japanese and designed just like the advantage but it has a blue base and yellow buttons. Looks really cool but the buttons kinda stick like the advantage.

Same one as here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NTDEC-Stick-...B:STORE:US:101

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was actually just looking at that NTDEC stick and considering getting it, but I never play my Famicom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I was actually just looking at that NTDEC stick and considering getting it, but I never play my Famicom.
    Im 99% sure it will work on a Nes, I know Ive tested it at some point, I can double check it if you want conformation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

NES Advantage was all I used. I think I've used one of those NTDEC sticks and the buttons felt weird... but that was a long, long time ago so memory is likely skewed.

SNES Advantage was not all that awesome, but the ASCII Pad was king of that system for me.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    NES Advantage was all I used. I think I've used one of those NTDEC sticks and the buttons felt weird... but that was a long, long time ago so memory is likely skewed.

SNES Advantage was not all that awesome, but the ASCII Pad was king of that system for me.
    I love your avatar, BTW. Being a pro poker player myself, I have great respect for that man.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Yeah the A & B buttons kinda stick/rub against the button holes (kinda hard to explain) when you press them quickly, Ive noticed the same with the regular advantage which is why i really dont use either. Its just due to the buttons being cheap because Ive noticed the same type of thing with my ps3 madcatz arcade stick before I swapped out the buttons.

If I could find better ones that fit I would mod this NTDEC and use it for sure.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Yakov456

I remember getting the SNES advantage and being severely underwhelmed. Everything felt wrong.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

My favorite thing about the Advantage was how it made it so easy to do the hidden save without dying thing in Zelda. Didn't have to make sure to have a 2nd controller plugged in or get up and swap controller ports, just flip the switch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In 1988, I desperately wanted one. After actually trying one a few years later, and seeing how useless the slow motion button was, and comparing the feel to my then favourite controller, the NES Max, I realized I wasn't missing anything.

PS: You wouldn't want to use turbo with 1943. You need to be able to hold the shoot button down to power up shots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

The buttons on my NES Advantage never ever stuck. And I used and abused the hell out of that thing. It would go in my bag to school every day for when I went to friends' houses.

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

ASCII Turbo and "NES Advantage" are the same machine; the latter is the Nintendo licensed version for distribution overseas since the original is not sold abroad.

Not sure if there are any difference other than the appearance and the connector. The original uses the 15-pin connector but since NES didn't come with that the Advantage has a 7-pin connector.

Also, it's neat to use the stick for games outside of STG. I remember playing really old arcade ports like Mario Bros. with a stick on purpose. Hmm, I just bought Burgertime lately, when it arrives I should hook up the stick for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Messiah made a wireless Joystick, and it looks like this is the only good product they made. Its actually made of wood and is apparently arcade quality. Its still available on amazon, but you need the wireless adapter to use on a regular nes, its not included. The generation nex and the wireless gamepads are complete shit, I bought it after reading the raving review on ign in 2006, and while good looking, it is awful.

http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Wir.../dp/B000VPZKKY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never cared for the Advantage. It's way too stiff and mushy. Fortunately there are some great microswitch sticks available. Most of them are for SNES, but since SNES controllers are electrically compatible with the NES, all you need is a simple pin adapter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    I've never cared for the Advantage. It's way too stiff and mushy. Fortunately there are some great microswitch sticks available. Most of them are for SNES, but since SNES controllers are electrically compatible with the NES, all you need is a simple pin adapter.

Your mom is way too stiff and mushy.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought one awhile back but never used it. Don't think I ever will either, at least not without modifications; tactile feedback is too important to me.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post

PS: You wouldn't want to use turbo with 1943. You need to be able to hold the shoot button down to power up shots.
    I know about charge shots, try it with turbo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post

It's easy enough to toggle the turbo when you want to fire lasers in 1943. That's one thing I love about the Advantage, you can just reach up with your fingers and toggle the turbo on or off. With every other joystick I have to pause the game and look at what I'm pressing.