Thread: Curious about how DP feels about restoration projects on classic games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    well he said what's right and wrong is based on the culture, that I reject. Canabalism is wrong no matter what culture you are in.
    Come on people.

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Buyatari Godwin'd the topic rather than respond directly any further.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I kinda feel like replacing labels would be a total waste of time, the label would have to be pretty destroyed for it to be worthwhile. You would have to take off the old label then be able to make a 100% perfect copy. Anything short would not fool anyone. Lets face it, you sell something on ebay and the buyer can pretty much make up any reason to return it. You try and sell a 100+$ snes cart with a imperfect repro label without mentioning it, the buyer would know and probably be pissed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's alt less difficult than you'd think to pull off a 99% perfect label.

Also, why is everyone talking so much about retail repros as if they're invading the market? I have yet to find anyone or any company that offers US retail repros. I suppose there could be folks making and selling them on eBay, but I'm not seeing it.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Also, why is everyone talking so much about retail repros as if they're invading the market? I have yet to find anyone or any company that offers US retail repros. I suppose there could be folks making and selling them on eBay, but I'm not seeing it.
    There was someone on here offering Stadium Events repros awhile back, complete in repro boxes with manuals. The only difference was the cart label was glossy, something anyone can replace with a more original looking one. He stopped offering it only because people complained about it.

Plus a few months ago someone listed a "complete" copy of Super Mario All-Stars+Super Mario World on ebay, in reality it was a legit cart and manual put in a repro box. The thing sold for over $200 in open auction, yet you can buy repro boxes new for $15 directly from the maker.

This type of stuff will pose a problem eventually if people put up with it, imagine people making repro boxes for Flintstones 2 or Little Samson. If the carts are still real who can really tell about the boxes unless you can compare a few directly in person? None of these would be advertised as repros by sellers, just "found this old game by chance, don't know anything about it and selling as is". Good luck getting your money back if you find one thing not correct about it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

It's alt less difficult than you'd think to pull off a 99% perfect label.

You wouldn't know that's the whole point of a counterfeit to begin with. If anyone could just look at the label with a quick glance and know then it wouldn't be a problem.

It's like the old pokemons games. Everyone knows they are the most counterfeited games and tons of bootlegs come from China and Asia. By the time you see it the market will be in chaos just like it is with pokemon games. Old pokemon games still get by the best of us today because of how well counterfeited the games are. The reason for that is not because they are worth a big sum of money. It's because of it's high demand and high circulation along with the fact it does fetch a decent price in the retail market, making it a perfect target for bootleggers.

You could be one of those people selling retail repros on ebay and most people would never know. Between your custom modding work and the fact that you have pretty good gear does leave potential for fraud. You have the ability to do damage if you wanted. Your views on how you expect people to be able to tell and how that you don't think it's your responsibility to inform potential buyers that the label is a repro that you changed is what scares me. Scammers normally stay in the shadows but they don't come out saying their making retail reproductions either.

Reproducing manufacturer quality is getting easier and easier to do on a amateur level and gets less expensive.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

[QUOTE=needler420;1964998]It's like the old pokemons games. Everyone knows they are the most counterfeited games and tons of bootlegs come from China and Asia. By the time you see it the market will be in chaos just like it is with pokemon games. Old pokemon games still get by the best of us today because of how well counterfeited the games are. The reason for that is not because they are worth a big sum of money. It's because of it's high demand and high circulation along with the fact it does fetch a decent price in the retail market, making it a perfect target for bootleggers.
    QUOTE]

I recently got burned in buying Pokemon GBA titles. I never had any and a friend told me to check them out, since i am a big Link DX fan. It was a noob mistake, I zoomed on the pics and checked feedback, but still. The carts where perfectly colored, clear and the labels looked right. I did not do enough research to find out that the pokemon games have metallic ink. I never have had a metallic ink GBA title so I had no idea it existed. When I got them I got suspicious and popped one open. In "chinese" it said ROM on the chip. And the board serials where all the same [hot wheels stunt track] I am bummed that I can never trade or sell these games legally or with a clear concience. so I will keep them and play them. But it does really suck knowing I have fake games. It may not be everyones thing, but I dont flash, play emulators or buy bootlegs (on purpose). I like having authentic games I once rented as a kid. I dont care about cases and all but I dont want fake.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    I recently got burned in buying Pokemon GBA titles. I never had any and a friend told me to check them out, since i am a big Link DX fan. It was a noob mistake, I zoomed on the pics and checked feedback, but still. The carts where perfectly colored, clear and the labels looked right. I did not do enough research to find out that the pokemon games have metallic ink. I never have had a metallic ink GBA title so I had no idea it existed. When I got them I got suspicious and popped one open. In "chinese" it said ROM on the chip. And the board serials where all the same [hot wheels stunt track] I am bummed that I can never trade or sell these games legally or with a clear concience. so I will keep them and play them. But it does really suck knowing I have fake games. It may not be everyones thing, but I dont flash, play emulators or buy bootlegs (on purpose). I like having authentic games I once rented as a kid. I dont care about cases and all but I dont want fake.
    I would demand a refund if it's not too late to do so. Selling counterfeit goods is against eBay policy (besides being illegal in general), and I'm assuming the seller didn't state that it was a fake so you've got him/her on item misrepresentation too. There's pretty much no way for you to lose your case. Sure, you could keep them and try to play them if you want, but those are games that save progress and GBA bootlegs are notorious for having saving problems, where they don't save at all, the saving function dies after not much time, or they're unreliable and lose files. With games like Pokemon, I personally don't think it's worth the worry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    You could be one of those people selling retail repros on ebay and most people would never know. Between your custom modding work and the fact that you have pretty good gear does leave potential for fraud. You have the ability to do damage if you wanted. Your views on how you expect people to be able to tell and how that you don't think it's your responsibility to inform potential buyers that the label is a repro that you changed is what scares me. Scammers normally stay in the shadows but they don't come out saying their making retail reproductions either.

Reproducing manufacturer quality is getting easier and easier to do on a amateur level and gets less expensive.
    I never said a single thing about selling a cartridge with a reproduction label, nor did I utter a word about how I would go about doing so if I were to sell such a thing (I don't, and have no plans on doing so).

Like I said, any repro labels I make are for myself. If one of my games with a repro label ends up on the market some day way off in the future, then so be it. It is by no means something I do in order to deceive anyone or as a way turn a profit.

Stop misinterpreting what I say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I never said a single thing about selling a cartridge with a reproduction label, nor did I utter a word about how I would go about doing so if I were to sell such a thing (I don't, and have no plans on doing so).

Like I said, any repro labels I make are for myself. If one of my games with a repro label ends up on the market some day way off in the future, then so be it. It is by no means something I do in order to deceive anyone or as a way turn a profit.

If you guys would stay on topic then no one would misunderstand what you are talking about.

This topic is about posting information on the gaming forums that can be used by "the bad guy" to make as identical to retail labels as possible. If you make your own for your own personal use that is great but we aren't talking about that.

This is the thread we are taking about.
    http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...hreadid=101897

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just gotta keep ignoring the trolls, wiggyx.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Buyatari Godwin'd the topic rather than respond directly any further.
    There isn't much more to say about this one.

Gamers who don't care about collecting are the biggest supporters of identical copies and could care less..... err scratch that...they WOULD LOVE to see the hobby suffer from an influx of copies. It will not be a dream come true for them and instead it will backfire and create a bigger need for companies like VGA to certify even rare loose games.

Collectors know copies will happen but they don't want to provide aid to those who would rip off other collectors. To them it is really simple. You don't piss in your own pool.