Thread: Games with a bad reputation that you absolutely love...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games with a bad reputation that you absolutely love...

For me, I've noticed that many of the games I absolutely adore have a pretty bad reputation among the gaming community. It's as if I'm attracted to them or something, which I find to be funny because I've loved most of these games since I was a really young child, Pac-Man and E.T for the 2600 come to mind as does Zelda II for the NES. Now, I realize that E.T can be a frustrating game and that Pac-Man for the Atari isn't nearly as good as it's arcade version, but as a 4-5 year old at the time I didn't know that and I had a lot of fun playing them back in the day and still enjoy popping them into the ol' 2600 today. Same thing with Zelda II, many consider it to be the worst Zelda game aside from the CDi crap, but to me this game is a gem and I adore it above all other Zelda games I've played. Am I wrong? No, it's just a matter of opinion and Zelda II ranks as my 2nd favorite video game of all-time. Want to know what one of my favorite games of all-time is that everyone hates? Friday the 13th for the NES. Yup, I absolutely love that game to death and logged countless hours playing it and still pop it in every October in celebration of Halloween, it's tradition for me.

How about the Atari Jaguar? Well, I'm a huge fan of the system and have quite a collection of games including Kasumi Ninja which I love and consider one of my favorite fighting games being bested only by the original Mortal Kombat. Crazy huh? Well, what are some of your personal favorite that get shat on by critics and players alike?
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Fester's Quest for NES is one of my favorite nes games, I got it when I got my first nintendo.
    Its a very playable game although people say its really hard. Its actually quite easy once you realize what to do.
    My only complaint is that its kinda short, but for a nes game its large enough.
    The music is just awesome, which is the main reason I like it so much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Zelda II

<Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Zelda II

Man, Zelda II has supplied me with so many amazing memories that it will forever be the best Zelda game to me. I remember playing it for the first time at my baby sitters house back in the late 80's and thinking it was amazing, and then finally buying it in 1992 with birthday money. I had so many countless nights staying up until the wee hours playing this game and getting stuck on the second palace as well as so many early mornings waking up to play the game after a long night of battles. God, this game will always live in my heart as a true gem, despite what the gaming community thinks of it.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I loved the Granstream Saga for PSX, creepy no-face character models and all...
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I really enjoyed A nightmare on Elm street when I was a kid, I only owned 5 games and that was one of them! Very challenging, and when you understand where you have to go and what you have to do its not bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I really enjoyed A nightmare on Elm street when I was a kid, I only owned 5 games and that was one of them! Very challenging, and when you understand where you have to go and what you have to do its not bad.
    A Nightmare on Elm Street is a personal favorite of mine as well. I love the 2-player aspect and the way you can switch between night/day and be different things like magicians and athletes and the such, it was just a fun game all around. I didn't like that at the end of the game you had to fight every boss a second time before Freddy himself, that was a bit unfair, especially with NO save points....

But such were those days....
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

The odd thing is that I can't think of any that absolutely love. I like Anticipation and Taboo for the NES. Both games aren't considered very good, but I like them. I certainly don't love them though.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Junker Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    yoyotheyoshi
    Steam
    aryoshie

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Man, Zelda II has supplied me with so many amazing memories that it will forever be the best Zelda game to me. I remember playing it for the first time at my baby sitters house back in the late 80's and thinking it was amazing, and then finally buying it in 1992 with birthday money. I had so many countless nights staying up until the wee hours playing this game and getting stuck on the second palace as well as so many early mornings waking up to play the game after a long night of battles. God, this game will always live in my heart as a true gem, despite what the gaming community thinks of it.
    I came in here with Zelda II on the top of my mind and I couldn't have said it better here. Also, I like the later NES Mega Man titles (4-6) despite what others say of them, I notice 5 and 6 get way more crap than they deserve, honestly. Castlevania II is another I really enjoyed that others didn't seem to so much.
    "Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!" ~ Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am quite partial to armorines for n64 and sonic 3D blast for Saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People poo pooed ffmq all the time cause it didn't follow how the other final fantasy games went. But this is an awesome game to play alot of battles items to use and things to find along the way. The music too is quite good.

I'm sure it's been said before but this is my all time fav game that doesn't get the respect it should.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. A lot of gamers hated its slow start. And i hear all the time at my local shop, that tons of players never finished the story because they got bored of it quick, and would go around just killing npc's from boredom. I absolutely love this game. Its the reason I bought an xbox. This game kept me entertained for years.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Street Smart:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Street-Smart_Screenshot2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	6628

it is pretty bad. but fun.

Street Fighter 1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Street_Fighter_Screenshot.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	6629

I didn't like this until I played the version on Capcom Classics PSP on the Vita. The dpad allows for easier hadokens + hurricane kicks and the analog stick lets you do easy shoryukens. these moves do ~50% damage, but the CPU can get in and that's when you mash and hope. This game controls so terribly, but there is some logic to it. Once you realize it doesn't handle inputs in quick succession at all, you have to hit everything individually including movement options like walking or jumping, but that sometimes it buffers moves, you can *sort of* get in some control of it. And even then, I've only come close to getting a handle of it with the Vita's controls. If you're on anything else, good fuckin' luck!

also, I always try to beat Sagat with a fierce dragon punch for a canon ending. i'm pretty fixated on this when I play!
    Last edited by Archimboldi; 05-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Milon's Secret Castle

I watched my brother beat this game countless times growing up. He knew every honeycomb, Hudson bee and secret passage. He figured it all out himself. He also had no idea there was a code to let you continue so he always had to beat the game without dying. I still love this game