Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NWC/Stadium Events rarity

Insert Coin (Level 0) DreamStar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NWC/Stadium Events rarity

With all the media behind Stadium Events and not seeing to many copys of S.E (NTSC) version for sale ,I'm wondering is S.E just as rare as the NWC cart (grey )version?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I don't think its as rare as NWC.... Because NWC has a production number that we know of. 90 Grey Carts Exist and 26 are Gold.

Does anyone know how many copies were officially ran put into production of Stadium Events before they went "alright lets call it 'World Class Track Meet'"? Unless a number is released I bet there is alot more out there... Its just people don't know they have them. I am waiting for that day someone finds a long forgotten storage locker/container filled with these still in a box wrapped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    I don't think its as rare as NWC.... Because NWC has a production number that we know of. 90 Grey Carts Exist and 26 are Gold.

Does anyone know how many copies were officially ran put into production of Stadium Events before they went "alright lets call it 'World Class Track Meet'"? Unless a number is released I bet there is alot more out there... Its just people don't know they have them. I am waiting for that day someone finds a long forgotten storage locker/container filled with these still in a box wrapped.

If someone happen to find a long forgetten box of S.E in the back of a warehouse or something ,that would good as well as bad .The good side would be more people could complete their Nes collections ,the bad side would be the value would decrease on S.E.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamStar View Post
    If someone happen to find a long forgetten box of S.E in the back of a warehouse or something ,that would good as well as bad .The good side would be more people could complete their Nes collections ,the bad side would be the value would decrease on S.E.
    All I see is good and good.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamStar View Post
    Not likely, as it is said Nintendo specifically recalled and destroyed all unsold Stadium Events, as well as the box and manual to Athletic World (they opened and repackaged the AW carts, though).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Not likely, as it is said Nintendo specifically recalled and destroyed all unsold Stadium Events, as well as the box and manual to Athletic World (they opened and repackaged the AW carts, though).
    This is truly documented though? Like if I called up Nintendo US HQ right now and asked they would give me the tale that they recalled them and destroyed them or repackaged them? This is starting to sound like a Atari 2600 Pac-Man Tale.

Now if they recalled them... Whats the likely hood of perhaps a game retailer back then deciding to pull the rest of his or her inventory of that game off the shelves and storing them away thinking it could become valuable in the future.... Now fast forward. Lets assume that this said store owner went out of business over the years due to recession and changing times in the video game market. And perhaps sadly passed away without telling anyone where they hid all those copies of SE.

Very unlikely but stranger things have happened... Take for example the tale about the found container filled with brand new Virtual Boys found in the middle east

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But with that recent find at a N.C Goodstore for $8 and later sold for 17K ,there's hope that anything's possible!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm having doubts about a retailer (especially in the '80s when games were relatively new) considering a recalled game being worth something someday, let alone wanting to wait 20 years to find out.

The found Virtual Boys sounds plausible, they could well have been inventory stolen in the '90s by Somali pirates. I hear that part of the Middle East is known for cargo ship hijacking, and probably part of the reason stuff shipped from Asian factories is delayed and costs more in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is no real conclusive number of copies for each game out there, but you can use the amount of known collector-owned copies to help get an idea of the relative rarity.

There were only 26 gold NWC produced, that much we know. There have been a ton of different numbers thrown around in regards to the amount of grey carts produced/distributed, but there isn't any concrete facts behind the stories. It's all hearsay. The same applies to the number of Stadium Events carts produced/sold. Beyond unknown production numbers, we don't know how many of each have survived over the years.

If you look at known copies of each that are in collectors hands, the rarest of the bunch would be a CIB copy of Stadium Events. One lost pallet could change all that though. There will never be a pallet of NWC gold carts, and there (realistically) will never be a large cache of NWC grey carts found. Take from that what you will.

For dick-waiving purposes I'll note that I own both a loose SE cart and a grey NWC cart. I consider them both to be fairly equal in rarity and collectability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a number that has been speculated throughout the years, and over time it has been taken as fact. In reality, that number is composed of hearsay bullshit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Howard (of Nintendo in the 80s) is a member over at NA and this was brought up over there before and he said games had a minimum order of 10000 units so at the very worst the game has that many of them initially out there, but the likelihood would have been a bit more really depending on how fast they sold and before they all became variants of each other with the renaming issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I dont mind paying a high price for a game I really like in good condition, I just dont understand why people are ready to pay 17k for a demo cart with a timer on games, or stadium event which is the same game as nintendos but only with a different name. Same with cheetahmen, even if they are all ultra rare, they are also ultra lame!! Im not sure as we the nes generation getting older, that younger people will want to buy those crappy carts for such high prices even if rare.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I dont mind paying a high price for a game I really like in good condition, I just dont understand why people are ready to pay 17k for a demo cart with a timer on games, or stadium event which is the same game as nintendos but only with a different name. Same with cheetahmen, even if they are all ultra rare, they are also ultra lame!! Im not sure as we the nes generation getting older, that younger people will want to buy those crappy carts for such high prices even if rare.
    The people who drive these prices up are the completionist's (is that even a word? haha). Ya know the people who think they have to have every 5 screw 3 screw variant cart and this region and that region cart. Well when ya have 500 guys shooting for that goal and only 100 carts to go around... well then gonna have a bidding war to see who gets the cart. Its not a matter of if the game is good or not... its a matter of the fact that it exists and They need it to have a complete 100% collection of NES games

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The people who drive these prices up are the completionist's (is that even a word? haha). Ya know the people who think they have to have every 5 screw 3 screw variant cart and this region and that region cart. Well when ya have 500 guys shooting for that goal and only 100 carts to go around... well then gonna have a bidding war to see who gets the cart. Its not a matter of if the game is good or not... its a matter of the fact that it exists and They need it to have a complete 100% collection of NES games
    I think lyrics from a Judas Priest song apply to completionists here. "There's many who tried to prove that they're faster but they couldn't last and they died as they tried." I bet most people will die before they ever end up with a 100% all variant collection for every game. It's hard enough to collect every minor variant for just one game let alone 700+
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

There's no more than 500 NWC grey carts out there. Your number is low.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't much get the attraction either at least on the gold NWC as it's a fraud, a Nintendo Power magazine give away but it was in very limited numbers. The gray I personally value far higher because while it in a way is like 'a demo game' in the bigger picture of Nintendo and gaming on the whole it's a notable and valued actual piece of history from the first nation wide national video game championship that was used in the very tournament. I wouldn't pay the cash, but if I ever just 'found' one I sure as hell wouldn't flip it even as tempting as that is as I'm a historian and I'd rather it preserved than passed around like a high priced whore.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I might ask the experts here, what exactly is the origin of the "fact" that only 2000 copies were produced and that only 200 or so might still be in existence? This question of course assumes that anybody knows, and that that whole claim isn't just a load of nonsense...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by General Catastrophe View Post
    If I might ask the experts here, what exactly is the origin of the "fact" that only 2000 copies were produced and that only 200 or so might still be in existence? This question of course assumes that anybody knows, and that that whole claim isn't just a load of nonsense...
    I first saw it on the Racketboy site, though I haven't a clue where he got that info from. Wikipedia has the same number, citing the Racketboy article as the source.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't much get the attraction either at least on the gold NWC as it's a fraud, a Nintendo Power magazine give away but it was in very limited numbers. The gray I personally value far higher because while it in a way is like 'a demo game' in the bigger picture of Nintendo and gaming on the whole it's a notable and valued actual piece of history from the first nation wide national video game championship that was used in the very tournament. I wouldn't pay the cash, but if I ever just 'found' one I sure as hell wouldn't flip it even as tempting as that is as I'm a historian and I'd rather it preserved than passed around like a high priced whore.

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!

*ahem*

I'll just show myself out...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt ,if there were 500 grey NWC carts ,there were originally more than 90 I'm pretty certain of that.But I believe their were less than a 150 that were ever made.Even in the light of the numbering system used on the carts ,I think Nintendo did that for a reason other than to say there's hundreds of these out there.If you look at Tengen Tetris for example ,for years that game was considered by many to be one of the rarest games on the Nes but someone found a whole bunch of them in a warehouse.Now in the case of the NWC grey carts ,if there were a lot more than originally 90 as originally stated that someone would of found them by now.Like I said I think a few more carts may have "leaked" out ,either by former Nintendo employees or by people who stoled them from booths during the time Nintendo was hosting the NWC.But I refuse to believe their were original hundreds and hundreds of them.NWC either version is one of the rarest games in existance and will remain as such.
    Last edited by DreamStar; 05-12-2013 at 07:11 AM.