Thread: What is your favorite BASEBALL game for the NES?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have to go with the the Bases Loaded games, though the RBI games are good too. That being said, after playing modern baseball games I can't imagine ever playing an NES baseball game for any length of time again. Retro sports games just don't hold up at all to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Baseball Simulator 1.000, followed by BaseWars in second. but those are fantasy baseball games with power ups and fights and stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TecmoBowlTerror's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RBI Baseball is clearly the best for me. Hands down the best pitcher/batter interface of any game from that era. Obviously I'm biased, but I know the sheer amounts of variables in the game that go into all the different batter and pitcher ratings. The aspect of having "real players" in the game and their coinciding abilities really made it a heavy hitter for me when it first came out. Guys like Brett Saberhagen or Andre Dawson in RBI are pretty memorable based on their great abilities.

Bases loaded really had the graphics nailed down for that era. The drawback for me on the original bases loaded in 2 player mode was how easy it was to hit. Every game was like 9-7. Everyone remembers Jersey and the batter Paste who would just kill it. Pretty awesome that a fictional sports game athlete is that recognizable.

Baseball Stars was the most revolutionary of the games with the GM aspect, the schedules, and even stat tracking. Baseball Stars came out about 2 years after RBI and Bases loaded, so it certainly had that advantage. BS though did't have real players like RBI, so the teams and such are far less memorable. The lovely ladies and the ghouls or whatever. It lost some of the replay factor due to lack of realism. I didn't like the fielding in BS either. The camera focusing on the fly ball made it an adventure in the outfield unlike the other 2.

I've heard good things about little league baseball, but have yet to play it.
    Baseball simulator 1000 for the NES was alright as well. It had a cool feature where you could play in 1 of 6 different stadiums. I loved that feature as a kid.

Considering sports games were either completely awesome or completely awful during the late 80's, its really cool to look back and see that baseball was a game that many different developers "got right" for the most part. For football, there was Tecmo Bowl and then everything else pretty much paled in comparison.