Thread: More Information on Everdrive 64 and Snes?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default More Information on Everdrive 64 and Snes?

Ive been reading about it and I wanted to know what the cheapest place to get one is. I know about stoneagegamer, but I was wondering if there was a better place that was cheaper with the most updated softwares, etc.

OR, if anyone is even willing to sell theres??? That would be sweet. Otherwise I am just looking for more information on them. If it is compatible with 99% of the games like it claims to be. Is the firmware easy to install? Do I ever have to update the cart itself by hooking it up through usb to my computer for firmware? Just checking to see if I could get some human interaction on their experiences with these.

Also, is there similar things to the everdrive? Like a different programmer/brand that could be better?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You can usually buy the Everdrives directly from Krikzz himself on www.retrogate.com, and it will be slightly less than Stone Age Gamer, not much. To be honest, you're not going to find a cheap deal privately from what I've seen, they usually sell for more than the websites! Alternative to the ED64 is the 64-Drive (http://64drive.retroactive.be); however there's only one guy making them and it's a long waiting list. Also more expensive. For SNES, there's the Super PowerPak, the first major flash cart for the console, at http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=84, also out of stock though. The high point is the SD2SNES, which is VERY expensive. Krikzz makes them, from the design by ikari_01, and he still makes the Super Everdrive.

If you get a newer one, you will likely not have to update the Everdrive firmwares (normally done with a JTAG cable). The Super ED works great, but it loads games into ROM not RAM, so you have to wait a little while to erase and write roms. If you get one with a donor DSP-1 chip installed, those games will work. All other special chip SNES games won't work. ED64 is compatible I believe with ever N64 rom, though a couple need special patched roms.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It looks like Everdrive 64 doesn't have the Mario no Photopi memory slots or Doubutsu no Mori real time clock.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Electronicbash View Post
    Ive been reading about it and I wanted to know what the cheapest place to get one is. I know about stoneagegamer, but I was wondering if there was a better place that was cheaper with the most updated softwares, etc.

OR, if anyone is even willing to sell theres??? That would be sweet. Otherwise I am just looking for more information on them. If it is compatible with 99% of the games like it claims to be. Is the firmware easy to install? Do I ever have to update the cart itself by hooking it up through usb to my computer for firmware? Just checking to see if I could get some human interaction on their experiences with these.

Also, is there similar things to the everdrive? Like a different programmer/brand that could be better?
    I may be biased, but there is no place better than Stone Age Gamer. Check out the Videos tab under out EverDrive64 Deluxe Edition listing on the site and you can see some of the reviews of our Deluxe Edition people have posted on YouTube.

Cheaper? Maybe. Depends what you are looking for, but Board Only prices are all pretty similar across the different sites (maybe a few buck different from site to site), but we are the only ones that make the Deluxe Edition. If you are looking for just the board then really its probably not going to matter too much where you get it from, prices will probably be similar.

The EverDrive64 v2 (which is the only version that has been sold for the last 2 years) loads firmware and OS directly from the SD card during start up. There is no special hardware required to load firmware on the ED64. You can download firmware from KRIKzz's site.

Super EverDrive is a bit different. It requires special hardware to load firmware, but there has never been new firmware released for it because its very stable already. OS can be loaded from SD card from menu system. SD2SNES is technically not an EverDrive brand cart. It was developed and supported by Ikari_01, but is made by KRIKzz. It works similar to the ED64. It loads firmware from SD card.

USB is additional cost for the EverDrive64 and Super EverDrive and is pointless unless you are a homebrew developer.

As for finding them cheaper privately. This most likely will not happen since demand is so high. I have seen Deluxe Editions go for $75+ more than retail on eBay.
    Last edited by StoneAgeGamer; 05-11-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

FWIW, the Super PowerPak has been given a slightly nicer GUI by 3rd party users. Search for "SNES PowerPak flash updater v03".
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm interested in getting a Super Everdrive, but they never seem to be in stock. Is there some kind of official waiting list or something ?

What about the cheapo UFO Pro 8 that is on Amazon for 50 bucks. Can somebody explain to me why I wouldn't just want to buy that ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Update:

Some guy on Craigslist was selling a Super UFO Pro 8 for 40 bucks so I decided to pick it up and play around with it for a bit. I need to go buy a SD card, but does this thing come with some internal memory built onto it, or do I absolutely need a SD card to get it to do anything ? Reason, I'm asking, is it does have a usb cable thing for it, which would make me think that it had some internal memory...

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Update:

Some guy on Craigslist was selling a Super UFO Pro 8 for 40 bucks so I decided to pick it up and play around with it for a bit. I need to go buy a SD card, but does this thing come with some internal memory built onto it, or do I absolutely need a SD card to get it to do anything ? Reason, I'm asking, is it does have a usb cable thing for it, which would make me think that it had some internal memory...
    Need the SD card to hold the game roms and saves. The cord is probably used for file transfers/software updates

also, that xbone avatar is awesome, made me laugh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, how about some feedback on...... how well does the everdrive work for games? Both n64 and snes.....

Is there a list of games that dont run good with the everdrive for n64 and snes..... I'm looking into stoneagegamer, so basically lets go off of those boards for now. Thanks :-)

Just want to know if most games play on these boards, n64 and snes. Anyone who has these have some feedback they would like to share?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Some fan hacks written for emulators won't run on original hardware.

NTSC or PAL related effects may still happen. By far most snes and n64 games are best played with 60hz NTSC consoles, but there's a few games intended for PAL.
    Lum fan.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty cool that the n64 one does nes, how about the snes one? I plan on just buying both... ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A buddy of mine has a Super Everdrive, and he has never said anything negative about it. There are certain games that it won't play, most obviously the FX chip games, and I think some of the (if not all of) DSP games like Pilotwings. It also won't play certain games with special chips like Mario Kart and Super Mario RPG. Truth be told, they will play about 90 percent of the game library, so it isn't too bad.

My problem has been finding a Super Everdrive. Every time I check to see if it's in stock, it says backordered. My buddy was saying that it always says backordered, and to just go ahead and order one, and that I'll eventually get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    There are certain games that it won't play, most obviously the FX chip games, and I think some of the (if not all of) DSP games like Pilotwings. It also won't play certain games with special chips like Mario Kart

My problem has been finding a Super Everdrive. Every time I check to see if it's in stock, it says backordered. My buddy was saying that it always says backordered, and to just go ahead and order one, and that I'll eventually get it.
    I have a super everdrive it can run mario kart since that game use the DS-P1 chip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is there a specific thread on the Super UFO Pro 8 anywhere ? I've tried to do some searches but haven't found anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Electronicbash View Post
    Alright, how about some feedback on...... how well does the everdrive work for games? Both n64 and snes.....

Is there a list of games that dont run good with the everdrive for n64 and snes..... I'm looking into stoneagegamer, so basically lets go off of those boards for now. Thanks :-)

Just want to know if most games play on these boards, n64 and snes. Anyone who has these have some feedback they would like to share?
    When it comes to ED64 it can now basically run every game except for maybe some Japanese ones that require a RTC (real-time clock). Someone recently cracked Banjo Tooie to work on the 6102 CIC and KRIKzz added the ability for the OS to now run Banjo Tooie on the ED64.

Super EverDrive can basically run everything except games with enhancement chips. The only exception is DSP-1 which it can run if a DSP-1 donor chip is installed.

As for how games play, remember these are not emulators. They should play exactly as the original games did.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com