Thread: Isn't GTA V a huge problem for the sales of PS4 and XboxNext ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Isn't GTA V a huge problem for the sales of PS4 and XboxNext ?

I was going to post this in the "are you going to buy a PS4 thread", but didn't want to derail the specific topic of that thread. Anyways, it seems that GTA V isn't coming to PS4 and the new Xbox, at least, not in 2013. Won't this have a huge negative impact on the sales of PS4 and Durango ? I could envision a scenario in which millions of hardcore gamers pick up GTA V at launch, and then get enveloped in playing that game, the same way a huge number of players got lost in Skyrim during it's first 6 months of being out.

If you have this massive, 100 hour game to play, and two new consoles are coming for $500 each (give or take), why spend all that money to buy a brand new console, when you're knee deep in a massive 100 hour open world game like GTA ? Sure, I know there are tons of people that just don't like GTA and other open world type games, but then why would they run out and buy a PS4 to play open world games like InFamous Second Son and Watch Dogs ? The people that do like huge open world games like Infamous and Watch Dogs, will have barely scratched the surface of GTA V, so why run out and spend a huge amount of money ?

Sony and Microsoft are both going to benefit from the release of GTA V, because the game will sell millions of copies on 360 and PS3, and they get the licensing fee for each copy sold, but at the same time, it seems like one of the worst possible situations for them in trying to launch their new consoles.
    Last edited by WCP; 05-16-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

GTA5 launches September 17th. There's atleast a month or two before the next gen consoles come out so people should already be done with it. After finishing the main game most people are done with the game. They don't go for the side content, much less goof off where nothing is to be done.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    GTA5 launches September 17th. There's atleast a month or two before the next gen consoles come out so people should already be done with it. After finishing the main game most people are done with the game. They don't go for the side content, much less goof off where nothing is to be done.
    Agreed. There are several potentially massive AAA games that likely won't be released for PS4 or Durango immediately, but that's always the case when a new console launches. It's not like everyone immediately throws away or trades in their old console when the new ones come out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

Now, I know there are a few crazy people out there that will get a game like GTA V, and they will lock themselves in their house and play it non stop for a few weeks, but the average gamer isn't going to plow through a hundred hour game in just a month or two. When GTA IV first came out, I got that game and played the crap out of it for at least 3 or 4 months before I stopped playing the game. I didn't even finish the main storyline either. I got about 70 percent of the way through it, but was nowhere near finished, and I was playing that thing for at least 4 solid months.

I guess if I was unemployed, didn't have a girlfriend or wife, or any social life, then maybe I could get through a game that quickly, but this isn't a 16 hour single player game. This is a 100 plus hour game, along with all the multiplayer modes they are going to have as well.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The first time I beat GTA4 I beat it in 25-30 hours. I did a little of the side content after finishing it, but that's it. I might have put 40 hours into it. Some people play more, some place less, but at 10 hours a week, it'd be done in atleast a month. The time I took to beat it isn't the same time everyone else would and not the same amount of time extra put into it, but the average person who buys the next AAA title and trades their old games in, or uses Gamefly to rent the new AAA more than likely will have this game completed within a week or two to a month.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-16-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Now, I know there are a few crazy people out there that will get a game like GTA V, and they will lock themselves in their house and play it non stop for a few weeks, but the average gamer isn't going to plow through a hundred hour game in just a month or two. When GTA IV first came out, I got that game and played the crap out of it for at least 3 or 4 months before I stopped playing the game. I didn't even finish the main storyline either. I got about 70 percent of the way through it, but was nowhere near finished, and I was playing that thing for at least 4 solid months.

I guess if I was unemployed, didn't have a girlfriend or wife, or any social life, then maybe I could get through a game that quickly, but this isn't a 16 hour single player game. This is a 100 plus hour game, along with all the multiplayer modes they are going to have as well.
    I think you're the exception and not the rule. Most of the people I know that bought and played GTA IV at launch played it for a couple of weeks and then didn't come back to it until the expansions were released.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Dont get too hung up on what a system WONT have, because we have no idea what the next playstation and xbox WILL have. Its way to early to speculate if these systems will fail or be a success based on one game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the way Rockstar has been releasing GOTY editions and game compilations during this gen I think it's very likely that we will get some version of GTA V on PS4/Next Box. The only system I imagine Rockstar would skip is the Wii U, just based off of what they have already done this gen for Nintendo consoles.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    With the way Rockstar has been releasing GOTY editions and game compilations during this gen I think it's very likely that we will get some version of GTA V on PS4/Next Box. The only system I imagine Rockstar would skip is the Wii U, just based off of what they have already done this gen for Nintendo consoles.
    Well, it seems they are going to have a PC version, although it won't be available till sometime in 2014, so I'd guess that they would port the PC version to PS4 and Xbox Infinity, but again, we are talking about sometime in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think you're the exception and not the rule. Most of the people I know that bought and played GTA IV at launch played it for a couple of weeks and then didn't come back to it until the expansions were released.
    Yeah, but I thought I heard somewhere that GTA V has a bigger world than Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV combined ? If so, I would think the game is bigger, and longer than IV, which means a full playthrough would probably take quite a bit longer. I just remember that when Skyrim came out, a bunch of people I know were still playing it in January and February of the next year. Of course, Skyrim didn't come out till November 11th, but people were still playing the thing 3 months later.

I mean, I guess if you're really committed and are actively trying your best to finish the game as quickly as possible you can get it wrapped up before the new consoles arrive, but I still think the average Joe will only be 70 percent thru the game by the time the new consoles come out. Now, certainly, it could be a scenario in which the honeymoon effect of the game has long worn off, and even though they aren't "finished" with the game, they would be willing to try some new stuff by that time, because they would probably be a bit bored with the game by then. I could certainly see that.
    Last edited by WCP; 05-16-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I'm in the minority but GTAV will not be affecting my next gen console purchasing decisions as I really find the GTA's way too fetch questy and monotonous. I can't wrap my head around a game like this receives constant "10's" and is forever praised for it's originality and any other franchise containing a 2, 3 or 4 after the title is knocked for being "more of the same." Sorry for the GTA rant, I will be buying this gen games well into the next to answer this post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Well, it seems they are going to have a PC version, although it won't be available till sometime in 2014, so I'd guess that they would port the PC version to PS4 and Xbox Infinity, but again, we are talking about sometime in 2014.
    Better late than never. In the meantime, the PS4 and Next Box will both have exclusive first party games as well as Watch Dogs, the newest Assassins's Creed, Call of Duty and possibly Destiny during their respective launches. There will be more than enough good games to entice people to pick up a PS4 or Next Box during launch, even without having GTA V on day one.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.