Thread: Finally got my FDS, have a couple of advanced questions

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Default Finally got my FDS, have a couple of advanced questions

So while i am trying to get my laser printer working again so i can etch a PCB for my broken famicom i figured i'd shift to a FDS i finally got.

got it from the same seller as the famicom i got for $10, i got this FDS for about $15, its boxed with a FDS AC Adaptor and instructions shipping was $25 but with a few other items from the same seller.
    Its in good shape, stryofoam is coming apart a bit. I bought it as i did the Famicom system knowing it had a problem, i took the risk and figured it wasnt working because of the belt and that was the case.
    i popped it open and sure enough its broken. but thats not what i am here to ask about, no i can fix that, infact i might be able to find a belt that will work in my pile of electronics components.
    i've got alot of printers and other odd ball drives and fin stuff i can pick through

no i am here asking about the full write mod, looked up the power board mod and it seems simple. this units got a Rev 05 power board in it.
    then i looked up the drive mod and i dont like it. its not that it seems hard it just seems that piggy backing on the bottom side of the PCB with wires and a daughter board seems messy

is there another way to mod the drive side of things?

it almost seems as if you changed out components on it you could get it to work with out adding a bunch of stuff

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I cannot answer this however I believe there are a handful of members over at Famicom World who are well versed in such mods of the FDS. If you don't find some details or answers here I'd highly recommend going over there to their forums and the website itself, where I know they have at least one guide that addresses the Write Mod.