Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get the Wii U back on top of the heap. How?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It'll sell well once some good games come out for it. This is why I usually wait a year after launch before getting a new console, cuz that's how it takes for a good library of games to start accumulating. As popular as Mario, Zelda, and Metroid still are, Nintendo needs to move beyond these franchises and starting putting out some new IP's. They've always relied far too much on those games to sell their consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii U will never be the console of choice for those who play Call of Duty, DMC, Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto, Battlefield, Madden, Assassin's Creed and other core titles such as those. But the Wii shared the same fate this gen and it did pretty well despite that. For Nintendo, they can still be profitable without the core games most of us desire but to do so they are going to need a steady stream of their first party offering along with some other distraction to keep people coming back. So I do think they have the potential to do well this gen. But them rising to the top doesn't seem very likely in my opinion.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo made the mistake of trying to capture the "hardcore" gamer who are Sony's and Microsoft's diehard fans. They also happen to run the websites and message forums across the internet, and as such, are the loudest voices in the video game community. Unfortunately, these diehards are not Nintendo fans, and are especially hostile to the Nintendo Wii (largely for its appeal to "non gamers"). The idea that this crowd would buy yet another games system to play the same PS360 games they already own is absurd. This mistake has cost Nintendo dearly.

Meanwhile, the Wii audience - new gamers and lapsed gamers alike - has been almost completely abandoned by the game industry, and even Nintendo. Only Ubisoft, with their hugely popular Just Dance series, seems interested in drawing in new fans. Nintendo's superstar developers don't want anything to do with the Wii Remote, with motion controls, or even with expanding the videogame market. They're only interested in personal vanity projects, which are often rehashed GameCube games. They have a very odd obsession with the GameCube, despite its failure in the retail market. I'm sorry, but another Pikmin and "Toei" Zelda isn't going to turn things around.

The Wii was a global smash hit because it returned videogames back to their 1980s roots, the era of Atari and NES, after a decade of industry bloat and stagnation. Expanding the market is absolutely essential if the video game industry is going to survive - between an aging "hardcore" clique and exploding production costs, the games industry is in serious trouble. Add in Microsoft's possible moves against consumer rights (and possibly Sony as well), and the future for the medium is very bleak. Overpriced cinematic games aimed at 30-somethings is a doomed strategy. You're going to need new blood. You need kids to play video games again. And that's where Nintendo succeeded with DS and Wii.

The Wii U has struggled poorly in the marketplace, but this can be turned around very easily. All you need is 1) a lower hardware price, 2) a less confusing controller, and 3) more and better software. It's the age-old formula for video games, and nothing has changed since 1977.

Here's what I believe Nintendo should do. There are currently two Wii U models, basic and deluxe models. Keep the deluxe model as it currently stands. For the basic model, remove the tablet controller, replace it with a Wii Remote Plus, and include New Super Mario Bros U as a pack-in title. Sell this new basic model for $150 or less, whatever price point can be sustained while still making a profit. Do that, and systems will fly off shelves.

After that, recommit to the Expanded Audience that is Nintendo's true "hardcore" crowd. Announce a new Wii Sports 3, with all-new events. I would also include all the older events from the previous titles in HD. This should provide incentive to bring the neglected Wii players back to the fold. Expand a number of the sports events into their own full titles, another no-brainer. EA's monopoly must be broken, most folks don't care about official licenses if the gameplay is entertaining.

Just a few of my own thoughts, based on my age and experience. Is this likely to happen? Not a chance. Nintendo is far too impressed with their bulky tablet controller and GameCube reruns, and the major third-party publishers just wants Big N to die already. And the industry will continue to shrink and contract and buckle under their own bloated weight. Bring on the endless gun sequels! Bring on the $100 million cinematic games! Bring on the $70 retail prices! Bring on the Used Games War! Let it all burn to the ground.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pokemon MMO "that isn't crap".

Have a nice day.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

On top I'm not sure that will ever happen. gameplay is key as always with nintendo the controller is important. Also price and some quality games which will come with time. These days nintendo has the exclusives and the ones that matter so the smart thing to do really would be pick a ps4 or 360 and make sure you have a wii u assuming you like nintendo games-only place your gonna get em!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Please god help the Wii U win the console war. I love Nintendo so much and cannot stand to see Sony or Microsoft out sell Nintendo!"

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Do you own stock in Nintendo? You sound like a bunch of losers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A bit harsh in the delivery but well I can't fault you for being wrong either.

I know a way to soften the blow. Technically they are on top. They're the only new console of the new generation out so far so they're in the defacto lead until the others sell their first few million into 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    "Please god help the Wii U win the console war. I love Nintendo so much and cannot stand to see Sony or Microsoft out sell Nintendo!"

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Do you own stock in Nintendo? You sound like a bunch of losers.
    Fanboys don't need to own stock. This is the internet after all.

I find it interesting that Nintendo is going to be the only next gen system(although some don't consider it "next gen") to be fully backwards compatible and not have any used game restrictions and yet it still isn't selling well. I'm curious to see how well sales pick up once they start delivering their first party onslaught this holiday season.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Release some games. Ideally games that aren't tired old first party shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, coming out of E3 I'm feeling really pretty good about Wii U. The game line-up for the next 12 months is looking solid (and the 3DS looks INSANE). Yeah the bulk of titles won't be out until early/mid 2014, but I think that's a good thing. The Christmas season is going to be all Sony and Microsoft going at it, but having a tier 1 Mario game being Nintendo's big carrot seems like a really smart move to me. Mario 3D World is a system seller, and once the hullabaloo of the holidays are over, the real onslaught of titles over the course of 2014 will solidify Nintendo's position. Not #1 position. But I think they could have a real shot at the #2, (if Microsoft keeps bobbling). Or, even worst case scenario you're looking at a profitable 3rd place finish (as opposed to a complete bomb, which is unlikely).

But seriously; Pikman 3, The Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Country U, Zelda: Wind Waker U, Super Mario 3D World, Sonic: Lost Worlds (wait... actually Christmas 2013 is going to be NUTS, if all preceding games are out like they are supposed to be), Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros U...

This time next year Nintendo is going to be sitting on a solid library I think.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

I'm thrilled about Mario Kart 8, it looks superb. Pikmin 3 looks like it'll be truly fun to play. Not so thrilled about the direction of Super Mario 3D World, however that's okay. I understand the EAD Tokyo team that made it HAD to come out with an HD console version of their 3DS game, 3D Land. I truly believe EAD Tokyo's other team will make a "Super Mario Universe" that most of us want, and it'll be the true successor to Galaxy--Though that will take time (2015?) as will Zelda U (2016?). I'm pretty certain Nintendo will slash the price of the hardware at the last minute, late this year, when they feel the timing is perfect when they have their main 2013 titles coming out and proabably right before the launch of PS4 and Xbox One.

The biggest dispointment by far in my mind, is Retro Studios with DKC:TF. I was hoping Retro would make either a new IP, or an old IP they haven't done before, or a new 3D Metroid in HD. Again however, I have a feeling Retro has something up their sleeve for 2015-2016.

I don't expect to see Dragon Quest X localized but I have some hope for the remake of VII on 3DS.

Even though Wii U is probably selling worse than Dreamcast was at this point in its life, Nintendo has very deep pockets. They can afford to both support Wii U (and 3DS) while at the same time continue to work on developing their next handheld and console, which was started last year, and just mentioned in January this year.

Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
    Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run. I am covering this topic as today is our Corporate Management Policy Briefing.
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...130131/05.html

If 3DS continues to build momentum and Wii U starts to get some major traction, then I don't think we'll see Nintendo's next handheld and console for quite a few years. However if Wii U never picks up, then I'd expect the next Nintendo console around late 2017 instead of 2018-2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know what's going on with Nintendo...they might offer that select number of good games that makes the system worth having. I am interested in taking a look to see if there's BC with the Wii and on back to GameCube accessories - I'd like not to have to get a Wii just to play Resident Evil 4 Wii with a GameCube controller. Exclusives? It's nice to hear that Nintendo has something planned...it feels like they've been asleep the last five years or so, maybe longer.

Don't really care for what they've been doing with handhelds lately - I don't mind the feature churn but they keep needlessly breaking compatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    It's already the top of the heap. The garbage heap, HEY OH!

What about them? Neither was really "beefy" and were easily out-tech'd by Sony's systems.
    lol wut

PS1 versus N64...I could give that one to you. (John Carmack recently said that PS1 was the best hardware of its time, and that N64's "push to SGI-style pixels was premature," which I don't know the meaning of, maybe he's talking about the application of a texture filter across all the pixels. N64 games look okay in stills except for the small resolution - and many games don't run fast enough.)

But GC vs PS2 - the only thing the PS2 had over the Nintendo, hardware-wise, was more disc capacity. But the GC can do more work than the PS2, loads data quicker, and does it all while remaining pleasantly quiet.

I've been playing around with some PS2s lately (finally) and they are all noisy little boxes (even the 75001 slim) whereas the GC is pretty quiet. I haven't had my JP 90001 spin its fan up yet but I've only played PS1 titles on it so far.