Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get the Wii U back on top of the heap. How?

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to get the Wii U back on top of the heap. How?

I'm sad that the Wii U isn't selling very well. It seems as if Nintendo themselves have not promoted this system at all and there hasn't been a huge library of games released for it as of yet, I'm sure this will change over time and maybe they have something up their sleeves for E3 but so far it's been quiet. Nintendo should be promoting this on television with commercials for the system, they should be in print ad's, radio, whatever they can do to bring in potential buyers and they should be actively trying to put out games to lure gamers in. I didn't like this past generation of gaming but it was nice to see the Wii (or Nintendo as a whole) on top of the gaming world again, it's been a while since they've been #1 and it was great to see them crush the competition like they used to back in the day. I was hoping to see this trend continue.

So, how does Nintendo get their system back on track to become the #1 console in the United States (and the world) once again? I personally think too many people think the Wii U is some kind of an accessory to the Wii because of the similar name and design of the console, they should have named it the "Wii 2" or something completely different. Anyhow, any thoughts on this topic? Let's talk about how to get the Wii U to the top of the sales charts!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

It doesn't need to be on top of the sales charts. Plenty of great consoles like the TG-16 were not the biggest sellers. But they did offer something unique, which I think the Wii U is poised to do. I mean, even on the Wii you have stuff like Pandora's Tower and Fortune Street, which are games MS wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

It just needs some games that people want to play. They launched it too early with nothing up their sleeve. It needs a good new IP, or a Zelda/Metroid game that's not a remake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nintendo has never had the 'beefy' hardware really generation to generation, perhaps SNES withstanding all thing considered, and they've done fine. They're a powerhouse of first party work and second party coverage so third party pansy tactics have only harmed them from getting people totally not into their stuff alone. Being on top isn't an issue, and they've either had to use monopoly behavior, slugging it out to the end in the years, or pandering to a new market to ever hit the top and have done profitably well over all the years regardless of position. WiiU could come out on top, likely it probably won't but anything could be possible. The One looks to be a nice step in alienating buyers and those not wanting an all in one media box and the PS4 is still unknown in some respects until next month. Sure they'll have their fans who want their system specific stuff, but they need to get the people who want the third party stuff most and will also weigh cost, performance, history of their product lines/support systems, and whatever else in in their minds when going to buy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once the first 3D Mario comes out itll start selling. It may out sell the XBOX One, I hope it does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Nintendo has been releasing a lot of good games recently. Too bad they've all been on the 3DS. That's what they need to do, start releasing the good first party stuff on the Wii U. It doesn't have a strong library and the longer it stays that way the worse it will become. I was really excited about Luigi's Mansion 2 until I heard it was only on the 3DS. Just seems to be the pattern here.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Nintendo has never had the 'beefy' hardware really generation to generation, perhaps SNES withstanding all thing considered, and they've done fine..
    What about gamecube and N64???

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's already the top of the heap. The garbage heap, HEY OH!

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    What about gamecube and N64???
    What about them? Neither was really "beefy" and were easily out-tech'd by Sony's systems.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't speak for the PS2 v. GCN debate (I don't know enough about that late hardware), but the N64 was more powerful than the PS1. The only thing it lacked that the PS1 had was a CD drive (N64DD notwithstanding), which really hurt it. But as far as computer go, the N64 was better. The only time when Nintendo was really the reigning champion was when the NES was released. The Famicom killed in 1983, and did so until the Master System was released, which had the better specs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was embellishing a bit using the never really had 'beefy' line. The Cube wasn't the best of the pile, the xbox edged it out bit a hair. The N64 technically was on top with their SGI engine and the rest, but because of the lack of CD storage it crippled the system from a lot of games or having the capability to really exploit all the parts due to the small storage medium and also a pathetically weak pathway for data to bottleneck inside the system coming off the carts.

I'm just saying they never really shot for the best hardware. They've shot for the best hardware to get their ideas across which they've been very vocal about for years. They grab parts, put them together, and do so in a useful way best suited for their game designs first before anyone else.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

If you think they cheaped out on console hardware, you child check out some of their arcade hardware. Cheap parts and overall bad engineering makes them a butch to restore.

The control panels in particular are atrocious. They're so over-complicated for no good reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I was embellishing a bit using the never really had 'beefy' line. The Cube wasn't the best of the pile, the xbox edged it out bit a hair. The N64 technically was on top with their SGI engine and the rest, but because of the lack of CD storage it crippled the system from a lot of games or having the capability to really exploit all the parts due to the small storage medium and also a pathetically weak pathway for data to bottleneck inside the system coming off the carts.

I'm just saying they never really shot for the best hardware. They've shot for the best hardware to get their ideas across which they've been very vocal about for years. They grab parts, put them together, and do so in a useful way best suited for their game designs first before anyone else.
    I saw the N64 as a system that was crippled by the limited storage space of a cartridge and that the GC was just as capable as the Xbox for delivering outstanding graphics. I still think to this day that Rogue Squadron 2 and Metroid Prime look better than any game offered on the Xbox and PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To get the Wii U selling there is really only one thing that needs to be done. It needs more games. And more A list exclusives at that. Wii U's problem is that I can count the number of 'must own games' on one hand (New Mario U, Zombie U, and Monster Hunter Tri). And its been out for more then 6 months.

That's a pretty sorry state of affairs, and its no surprise that its leading to sluggish sales. And while there are some interesting exclusives coming (Fire Emblem X MegTen and Wonderful 101 spring to mind) they aren't system sellers.

I hate to say it, but what Wii U really needs is a must have, exclusive, action multiplayer game that can compete with Call of Duty. Not necessarily a modern war FPS, but SOMETHING to kick the multiplayer experience up a notch.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently, the tide is starting to turn, at least in the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The N64 had STRONG technology for it's time and was only hampered by the stubborn decision to stick with carts. I remember having a Pentium 200 mmx with a 3Dfx card, which was a very, very strong gaming PC in late 1996, and when I was playing N64 games, they were almost at the same level in terms of polygon processing power and such. It was kinda like a poor mans 3Dfx, but again, the whole decision to roll with cartridges, just made it really problematic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't real huge on the Wii, mostly because of those annoying motion controls. I always tried to find games that let me use the classic controller or GC controller if I could. I've always preferred Nintendo, but during gen 7 I mostly played Xbox 360. Now that Nintendo has a normal controller again with the standard analog sticks and buttons things are different. I've already got 10 retail games for my Wii U, which is more than I usually get for any new system right after launch, and I've been enjoying it immensely. I'd say I'm more optimistic about gaming right now than I have been in the last 10 years. I'll probably get a PS4 to supplement the Wii U with some of the things Nintendo won't be getting, but for now I'd say Nintendo is already on the top, at least for me.

As more of the big titles like the new 3D Mario, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and Zelda start to hit I think the Wii U's sales will increase. Especially with the Xbox One and all of it's restrictions.

Just today, at the game store where I work, I was talking to a guy about the Wii U. He was a guy in his 20's who said he grew up playing Nintendo but now wanted a system that would allow him to play more "mature" titles like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Batman, Watch Dogs, etc. I told him that all those games would be coming for the Wii U, or already were on it. When he heard that, and saw that the system was cheaper compared to the expected prices of the PS4/Xbox One, he was pretty impressed. If he had the money on him right then I think he would have bought the system. These are exactly the kind of guys Nintendo needs to market to. There are too many people out there who think the Wii U is just like the Wii, that it won't have all the same games that Sony and MS get. True, there will be some games like that, but this generation is going to be much more like the PS2/GC/Xbox gen, with many of the titles being spread across all three platforms.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think Wii U has a chance to be number one at this point but the system can still be profitable. They need a ton of first party games obviously like Zelda and Mario. Those games will come and this should sell millions of consoles as a result. They also need third party games. The Wonderful 101 looks interesting and Bayonetta 2 seems to be an exclusive for now. The Wii U at this point reminds me of a launch Dreamcast with a bunch of ports from other systems with beefed up graphics. The Wii U right now isn't a bad system it's just the price doesn't justify a purchase. Maybe when the system hits the $199 then it will be worth it. I figure you'll be able to get a Wii U for that price in a year and a half and by then there should be at least a handful of reasons to warrant a purchase.
    Last edited by GhostDog; 06-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Top of the heap? Nothing. But to be more successful they first need some 3rd party companies working on games. EA announcing they have NOTHING in development for the system is like the nail in the coffin. And it's not even about the games themselves (I can't even remember the last good game EA made), but about image, if you can't even get Madden for the Wii U then what does that say about the system?

Second problem: The name. As others have said, it sounds like an add-on for the original Wii. A lot of casual games don't even realize it's a new system.

Third problem: It was released too early. They should have waited until they had more franchise titles (Zelda, Mario Kart, Metriod, Donkey Kong, etc...) ready to roll out before they released the system. It kind of reminds me of the Saturn U.S. launch, a somewhat weak launch lineup and then nothing worthwile coming out for months after. And it's underpowered compared to even the PS3 and 360, much less the systems that will be coming out. Nintendo needs to start worrying about being better then the competition, not cheaper. It might have worked for the Wii, but it didn't work for the Gamecube and it sure as hell ain't working now. And they aren't getting the non-gamers to buy this like they bought the Wii.

Honestly, I think the Wii U is D.O.A. and there will be no comeback. If Nintendo isn't working on it's successor they better be, because at this rate they'll be out of the console business in a couple years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I saw the N64 as a system that was crippled by the limited storage space of a cartridge and that the GC was just as capable as the Xbox for delivering outstanding graphics. I still think to this day that Rogue Squadron 2 and Metroid Prime look better than any game offered on the Xbox and PS2.
    You're right in both parts. Part of the problem on both, mostly N64 was storage issues if you get away from whiny bitch immature third party game makers behaviors and stick to hardware problems. RS2 and MP1/2 on the GC did look nicer than whatever the PS2/XB had to offer and likely it was the case of the makers specifically keying into the system and not just doing a port and knowing all the ins and outs as MP was Nintendo and Factor5 had an in with them on the other game. This goes into what I'm thinking with the WiiU in that you'll have shit that's ported and runs bad like Black Ops 2, but you'll get a game where someone uses hte hardware right and it will go to show you can blow the system out on a level over what is there now for years not, but clearly won't hit the level of the other 2 guys when they drop, a Dreamcast like situation of mixed results of wow that's nice, wow that's bland, and wtf how'd they pull that off on this type stuff.

Ultimately as much as self appointed pro gamers want to act like real experts as does the child like media acting like they know the minds of everyone, the truth of it is Wii pissed them all the hell off because it shows that most people could give two shits. It's all about the games first and foremost. If there are games you want and it only happens here (WiiU) you get it and that's that. Other factors can play in too like consumer budget, economy on the whole, what your buddy may have, or whatever else. Wii itself sold because it was a $250 system up against a $400+ and a $600 thing and offered up something unique but it got a better start as it has a moderate drought, not a walking dead situation WiiU has. WiiU is at $300 or $350 with enough in the black box to make it a bitchin deal if you want the system, and the other guys likely will price out around $500 and due to lazy portitis behavior they'll look and play about the same until system specific games drop and the better parts and more RAM of the PS4 makes the One look like it's taking a number Two potentially. Nintendo perhaps since they've been stubbornly quiet probably will pull a 3DS on WiiU because it's doing far worse than the handheld was at the same time and perhaps drop both units $50 in price to widen the margin. The cheaper they are and the better game(quality and quantity) they have by the time the others get rooted in going into 2014 that will dictate how they'll do.

A nice ad campaign saying WiiU isn't a tablet controller upgrade addon to Wii would help a lot because even the other day when I swapped out a free game for another at Meijer (WoF for Res Evil) the guy there up until weeks earlier had no fucking clue WiiU was a system onto itself, thought it was an upgrade module to the Wii and they had the blue boxes to show consumers what will and won't work with it. That's just fucking sad that retail has no clue so how can you expect consumers to have an idea??

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think Nintendo cares who bought the Wii whether it be the "hardcore" gamer or the "fickle" gamer, as long as the money kept pouring in and the system kept selling (which it did). The same could happen with the Wii U if it should get the right games and Nintendo wakes up and starts promoting the system.

I think the Wii U has a chance at making some ground up with some surprise announcements at the E3 and some A+ first party titles, but they need to get some third party support to really drive in some new buyers. I think putting out some great games with certainly help as well as not trying to tie too many of the games into the motion gimmick or with gimmicks tied to the controller, but time shall tell.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They really need to market the system to it's strengths...The ability to leave the couch and continue your game on the toilet with a tap of the touch screen. I find it quite liberating.