Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If used games don't really exist next-gen, will it change your buying habits ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default If used games don't really exist next-gen, will it change your buying habits ?

Man, things seem to really be changing with this Xbox One, and you have to imagine that Sony will follow the same guidelines. Otherwise, it would be complete suicide for Microsoft to be doing this. There has to have been collusion with this. I don't buy for a second that MS and Sony haven't had private discussions about this. So, it's going to happen.

So anyways, regardless of how things actually shake down when it's all said and done, let's just pretend that basically the used game market is non-existent for everything other than the Wii U and previous generation consoles. Would you buy either game system ? Would you move all your support to the Wii U in protest ? Will you stick with the current gen, and say to hell with the next-gen bullshit ? Will you go back to retrogaming (full-time), and pretend that this was all a bad dream ?

If you do buy one of these new restricted systems, how will your buying habits change? How will you value the games when you come to realize that you aren't going to get any money back on your investment ? Eventually there will be a realization that you're basically "renting" your games on a very long, extended rental. Will that change your perception of what a game is worth ?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I won't buy systems that don't allow me to play used games. I have a Wii U, PC, and a 3DS. I need nothing else if this restrictive system is implemented by Sony as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I won't buy systems that don't allow me to play used games. I have a Wii U, PC, and a 3DS. I need nothing else if this restrictive system is implemented by Sony as well.
    What was your favorite game of the PS3/360 era ?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Even if Sony does the same thing I'll still buy a PS4 eventually because I like the exclusives, but it's not going to be anywhere near launch. It might just be a few years down the line, and more than likely after the Wii U unless there are some games I've truly got to play. Infamous 2 is one of my favorite PS3 games, so Second Son might be one of those must play games for me.

All PS4 multiconsole titles that are exclusive to next gen will instead be purchased on PC. If I'm going to be locked down to DRM, I may as well pay less for it than I would otherwise.

I'll purchase Vita, 3DS, and Wii U games as I do right now, and I'm sure PS3 will still be getting releases for the new couple years, so will still purchase PS3 games.

It might be less than I'm paying now, so maybe I'll just use that extra money getting all the games these previous generations I've missed out on and I've wanted to get. With all the money I'd be saving, maybe I might just spend $500 on a mint complete copy of Earthbound. Atleast I'd own it and could sell it. Maybe for what I bought it for?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    What was your favorite game of the PS3/360 era ?
    I had several. Most of them were either on handhelds, were on both PS3 and 360, solely on Wii, or on PC.

What I'm saying is that I won't miss playing exclusive titles, especially on Microsoft systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I won't either. I buy nothing but used games, I can't afford to drop $60 on every game. Hell, I love walking into Gamestop with like $50 and coming home with 6 or 7 games. Sure, 2 or 3 of them might be complete crap, but then I'm out $15 or so, not $120-$180.

From what I'm seeing I'll probably be skipping this console generation. The XB1 looks like one of those jack-of-all-trades machines instead of concentrating on good games, and we saw how well that worked for the 3D0 and CD-i. I already have a computer, I don't need another one that hooks up to my TV. And the Wii-U is crap, and Sony is never getting a dime of my money again.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

It's a bad dream. I WILL NOT be buying games at the full retail price of $59.99. My limit is around $35.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's pretty simple at this point. I'll buy a Ouya. I know they are download games only, but at least when the console "Dies" I'll still be able to play the games I purchased because I won't be locked out of getting on the network and not being able to authenticate the console. And for the record, I have the PS3, 360, and the Wii, so seeing this next generation dump into where it is makes me sad because I like the God of War series, Sly Cooper, Gears of War, and Forza motorsports. Very depressing indeed. Once more games release for the WiiU, I'll probably snag one of those too as apposed to common belief, it's not total crap. Like said before, a console is only as good as it's games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I won't buy systems that don't allow me to play used games. I have a Wii U, PC, and a 3DS.

PC doesn't allow you to play used games, but you game on that.

Don't think I'm trying to be an ass by saying that, because I'm in the exact same boat. I know that most of the stuff I'm complaining about with the XB1 is what's already going on in the PC industry, and I've primarily played my games on PC the last few years. So, I realize that I'm a hypocrite in a way, in regards to this. The PC has no used game market. You can't resell your PC games. You can't let a buddy borrow your PC games, or give them to your nephew.

The big difference of course with PC games is price. You can buy PC games DRAMATICALLY cheaper than console games. Take the newest Tomb Raider as an example. Green Man Gaming has Tomb Raider right now for $13.60. Considering the game just was released a few months back, it's a pretty significant price drop. That same game on consoles has been greatly reduced as well, but at $29.99, it's slightly more than double the cheapest PC price.

So basically, in my personal situation, I'm willing to be a full blown hypocrite as long as the games are cheap enough. I tell myself that it's an "extended rental", instead of an actual purchase with ownership. I'm willing to live with it being a glorified rental, as long as I can get the game for dirt cheap.

I really wouldn't have that much of a problem with the console industry becoming the same as PC, but only if I can get all the same sales that I'm getting on PC with Steam and Green Man Gaming and Amazon downloads. Of course, we all know that isn't going to be the case. Microsoft and Sony aren't going to be content with selling their big games for only $13.60 a couple of months after they were released. It's just not going to happen. They will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into that philosophy.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Not in any significant way. At it is, already avoid almost all digital releases, and I buy almost all my games either on markdown or used. I also keep my systems offline 99.9% of the time. If next-gen games aren't available under those circumstances, then that simply means I'll be buying even less of them, and my gaming is already predominantly retro. It's an extremely rare occasion for a modern game to come out that I consider a "must-have" and would convince me to buy a new system for the opportunity to play it. It basically comes down to tri-Ace games (but I've been burned on some of their more recent releases, so I'm not quite as eager to pounce on each new game of theirs now as I would in the past) and CyberConnect2's Little Tail Bronx series. That's pretty much it in terms of games I'd be really excited about.

For the current/past generation, I focused mostly on handhelds anyway, since I felt the DS and PSP had more appealing games than any of the three home consoles, and if the Xbox One is reflective of how home consoles will be in the future, then I imagine I'll all the more gravitate toward the handhelds. I know a lot of people complained about the 3DS and its library early on, but I got one a few months ago and there's been a steady stream of interesting games lately as far as I'm concerned. It's already well-worth owning, I'd say, and it's only going to get better. The Vita is still looking pretty sorry to me, but then again, so did the PSP early on but now that it's just about done, I think it racked up an excellent library. Considering it's a more traditional system, I'd also be interested in a Wii U if it shapes up, although I'd probably be better served building up my Wii collection, since I've had it practically since launch and still have fewer than 10 games for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd like to come off pissed and butthurt but I knew the writing was on the wall for awhile as my brother is a game producer. We've had plenty of hot arguments over it as they really do feel justified re-charging people to use used games or just blocking them out entirely eventually once they can go fully digital once gigabit lines are normal in the states. MS has never sold me so I'm not affected by their greedy shit directly, but indirectly I am. We saw EA bail on Sony for their conferences to sling that sports sports sports garbage and tied games to The One from MS. EA will make Nintendo games, but less games than MS gets, and well that leaves Sony either potentially getting less games too or perhaps not depending on the base involved.

This generation I've had to deal with having a kid so my time was cut anyways on games and I tend to like stuff I can load up fast, save faster, and do in spurts which old games do. I do like modern and I'll play it, but as it stands now I've bought less this gen than any else. I know NIntendo won't cock block used games so I won't get hurt there, but Sony I assume might. If they do an if I decide when prices fall enough ($300~) to get a PS4 some year, game purchase amounts in quantity and price will be based upon used being freely used or charged to use, or just blocked. I'd probably just get first/second party stuff and very little third because a lot of it just seems to be crap that's rolled out that's safe anymore now and FPS/sports which I have little interest in at all. When I do buy I think I'd buy when stuff is on sale or in clearance unless I know with zero doubt I'd enjoy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here, I won't buy video game systems that don't allow me to play used games. I've always refused to pay games at full retail price ($60+), it is way over what I'm ready to pay (well, I've only done it in the past for games and developers that really really deserve it).
    I may be wrong about this, but at the end of the day, most of the people I know who buy games at $60+ a pop just resale them a week or two later, as soon as they're done with them. And they usually make only a $5/$10 loss on them - so yes, most of the retail games spend their lifetime as second hand games (which is pure loss for video game makers). But if they were priced at $20 or so in the first place, more people (including myself) would buy them new, and I'm quite sure game makers would end up making more money (I LOVE Steam for that reason).
    Another thing publishers seem to forget (I think), is that at $60+ a piece, players are only likely to purchase AAA titles. This condemn all the 'smaller' publishers to fail.

Well, that's of course only my two cents...

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Generally when Im buying games for my ps3 they are games I have no intention on re-selling anyway.
    I really dont go out and spend 50-60$ on a game, play it twice then sell it or trade it in. Even when I fully complete a game Id rather keep it then sell it/trade it and take a loss. When Im buying something I want for myself, I really dont stop to consider the possibility of resale value, since Im buying entertainment media and not some kind of future investment.
    In terms of buying games, Im the type of person who will buy a few games that I want and play them and keep coming back to them. I never just 'go shopping' and drop a wad of cash on any random game that I might like. This is why Im really not concerned at all about no more used games on future consoles. Owning a PS3 has already changed my buying habits, I dont buy games just for the hell of it anymore. I dont need a giant stack of games to enjoy a ps4. If they come out with content that is worth the cost to the consumer people will buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I don't even know what's going on with the next-gen systems and I don't care to buy one. It's more entertaining to me to watch a leaf blow by or sneeze than to play video games. Most of the time, At least.

Austin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont really dabble in the used game market, but the way new games are being handled will change my habits.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Would you move all your support to the Wii U in protest ?
    I don't see the majority of potential XB1/PS4 gamers doing this for the simple fact that several core third party games will be skipping the Wii U just like many skipped the Wii this gen. It's certainly a nice couple of bullet points for the Wii U that it has full backward compatibility and no used game restrictions but time will tell how much that helps them sales wise.

As for myself, if I lose the ability to sell my used games because they will become as useless as a used PC game than I definitely won't be buying any full priced $60 games. Just like when consoles go all-digital, theres a chance I could support that but not if the games are all still $50-$60. The console makers and game publishers are going to have to bring those prices down significantly if they want to keep a certain part of the market coming back. I'm still wating for both Microsoft and Sony to confirm exactly what it is they are going to do as far as playing used games goes. So far things aren't looking that great.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I refuse to pay over $40 max for a game, aside from the odd collectors edition for a series I might be interested in. I doubt the game are going to be that cheap new in the coming generation, so I guess I'll be sitting it out if I can't get used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont do modern games much anymore. Any console company setting this up in a way to eliminate used games or fee to play used games goes into effect will kill off a good amount of gamers to start with , and also put shops like gamestop out of business since more the half of their sales I would gather would be in USED systems and games.

This MIGHT however bring more people to the Xbox 360/ PS3 generation as an alternative way to game. For a while i would imagine anything coming out for PS4 and Xbox1 will be also available for 360 and PS3 in the short term. Thats what they did from ps2 to ps3 on some of the bigger titles. Downloadable content will be always in the hands of the software company and the console company to make it available how much and how long.

I personally dont pay more than 40 for any game used. And with the economy the way it is and going I dont see people really wanting to spend alot more than that on games. Surely the amount you buy is being cut back as it is.

How do you think middle to lower middle class america is gonna react to knowing what they are doing now as a treat for their children ( getting them a game used to save money but to get the kid something they like ). It wont be good for anyone involved.

If I was nintendo i would be doing the same exact thing theyve done for their customer base since 1985, Release games, good games , maybe not the most powerful system and graphics, have it backwards compatible and dont stick it to your customer base in the fact that they cant play anything used. Nintendo if they just stick to what has made them successful and let sony and microsoft be their worst enemies.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

If Sony really made a pact with Microsoft, that would be funny to see Sony change their plans and back out of it on purpose to make them #1. I could totally see Sony dickmoving their competition like that, especially if a contract about it wasn't written.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    If Sony really made a pact with Microsoft, that would be funny to see Sony change their plans and back out of it on purpose to make them #1. I could totally see Sony dickmoving their competition like that, especially if a contract about it wasn't written.
    This isnt being done cause of the console makers, it s being done cause the big publishers want it this way. Sony drops this, they lose 3rd parties.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*