Thread: How to avoid RF signal loss in older consoles AND ways to convert to composite

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default How to avoid RF signal loss in older consoles AND ways to convert to composite

Two things here. First, I'm interested in knowing what kinds of things can cause RF signal loss in older systems. At one point, I was using mechanical splitters as a way to have multiple RF systems to a TV, but the quality was degraded. I'm already aware that the longer a cable is, the more the signal degrades. Same goes for using splitters. Also, I know that an "F" Jack Connector to Phono Plug produces a better signal that the RF switchboxes that originally came with the systems.

But there's more I'd like to know:
    -Would wrapping an RF cable with electrical tape reduce interference?
    -If some RF cords are better at maintaining a signal that others? If so, how do I know before I buy it? If it's thick, does that mean it's better shielded? Is there any kind of labeling on the packaging or the cord itself that would indicate how good it is at carrying a signal?
    -Does an amplifier clear things up, or make things worse, in terms of picture quality?
    -If an RF cord has other wires touching it, does that cause interference? I mean like other shielded wires that would be tied together with it. If so, what if those other wires were not in use, carrying no signals?
    -Does curving an RF wire cause interference? For example, if you were to wrap it around something.

I would also like to know if any of you have had success at converting RF to composite. I know that VCRs can do this. I have tried it on one VCR, but the image looks a little washed out. Here's my questions:
    -Are some VCRs better converting than others? If so, can you recommend a model or brand?
    -What other kinds of devices are good at this? How about those digital converter boxes that have an "antenna in" connector?
    Last edited by Orion Pimpdaddy; 05-27-2013 at 01:03 PM.