Thread: Good Vita and 3DS games that would probably be overlooked.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Good Vita and 3DS games that would probably be overlooked.

Starting a thread for good Vita and 3DS games because there may be some that I'd happen to like but either might never. I bring it up because of Shinobi, while on my buy list, I only recently to get over $25 for free shipping from Amazon and it happened to be a great game.

For platforming fans, though. Shinobi is highly recommended. Extremely precise controls, and while the game is very difficult,for the most part it's actual difficulty, not cheap memorization based difficulty. The only issue I have about the game is the length of the stages. Most of the stages are 15-20 minutes in length, with one being more than 20-35 minutes and having very unforgiving checkpoints for only having five lives before having to restart from the stages beginning. Great and challenge platformer.

Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate. Mirror of Fate plays a lot like a classic Castlevania title mixed with the exploration of the later games and a 2D version of Lords of Shadow's combat system. Difficulty is also an issue with this game, but unlike Shinobi, it's that checkpoints in this game are too forgiving. The game is best when 100% of everything is acquired, your character is on the max level, and you replay the game on hardcore difficulty. The checkpoints are still forgiving, but there's less checkpoints when you've acquired everything and the difficulty is atleast somewhat challenging at that point. The 3D effect in this game is by far the best of any 3DS game I've played, just turn it off when underwater because it's bad.

Uncharted Fight for Fortune. If you don't like card games, then I can see you not being interested in this game, but if you're interested in card games, don't pass on this game because it's got the Uncharted name. It doesn't have the depth in comparison to card games like Magic the Gathering, but even with its simplistic approach to the genre, there's still a lot of strategy involved in making your deck and what cards you're going to play. It's a pretty cheap game at $4.99.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree with your Castlevania pick, it's like old cart based games mixed with a splash of SOTN and then the over the top/overkill button combo mashing combat style of God of War. It's fantastic that's for sure, but it could be over fairly quick depending on how you hit it.

I know it gets crapped on and deservedly so for the price, but both Steel Diver and Pilotwings for the 3DS are really fine games but I think $20 would have been fair for what is there, maybe less for Steel Diver. Pilotwings has lots of vehicles and challenges, handles it quite well and the depth really helps nose around stuff quite well without using the old watch the shadow on the ground technique of older stuff and it has a few bonuses. Steel Diver though is a nice package of 3 mini games really as you get a side scroller, a thin 'battleship' type mix up, and then a 3D turn n burn with torpedoes into enemy ships which can be fun. The side scroller has more depth only because you need to re-run each of the 6 starter missions with all 3 ships which control/attack entirely different from te others to then unlock another set of 2.

Also I can't recommend highly enough the William's Pinball Collection on there from the makers of that Pinball Arcade bit on ios/android/home console+handheld devices all for download. It has a limited selection of tables which won't be added to clearly, but they're so very well rendered on there, controls great, and with the 3D slider on it makes it feel the most real to an actual table because of the depth added to the play field and the ball.

I've also never seen a lot of love thrown towards the Ace Combat game on 3DS, but I think people should look it up as it has a decent story, great controls and a nice selection of stages but it isn't super long. You will need to replay it I think twice because some stages you pick to do A or B and can't go back.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'll also second both Shinobi and the new Castlevania, both are truly excellent platformers. But the best game I've played on the 3DS so far is Resident Evil Revelations. The best game in the series since 4, IMHO. Excellent atmosphere with a good mix of modern action and classic survival horror elements. It just came out for PS3 and Xbox360 so I'll probably pick that up as well just to see the changes/improvements they threw in. As for the Vita, I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed Liberation. But to be honest, I really haven't gotten into much else. That system definitely needs a shot in the arm as it's getting it's ass handed to it by the 3DS.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Insert Coin (Level 0) cholkavich's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cholkavich
    PSN
    Cholkavich

For the vita here are the games that Ive been enjoying:
    Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward
    Mutant Blobs Attack