Thread: How do HD collections affect your ps2 collecting?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do HD collections affect your ps2 collecting?

If you recently started collecting for ps2, and one of the games is available asa HD collection on ps3, do you get the upgraded version, or do you still get the ps2 version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't keep dupes so if I still had something PS2 capable I wouldn't keep that game and go for the PS3 one. They're cleaned up, packaged to save space as more than one game is on there, and any other little issues in play that may have been there could have been dealt with too.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Excellent question

I don't usually keep duplicates, so if there's a HD collection released I'll often pick it up (for cheap) and just sell the PS2 originals. If they're virtually worthless, I might just keep them and store them someone with collection extras, maybe use them for sale/trade fodder in odd lots, or give them to friends' kids or something. I will hold on to certain games even after I've purchased the HD collection if they have some sort of sentimental value though. Like if they were gifts, or if I really, really enjoyed them; like Ico.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dont bother getting the Silent Hill HD collection.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Dont bother getting the Silent Hill HD collection.
    THat's the one I want the most and it seems to be the worst one available.

What really grinds my gears about the HD collections is that they never include the 1st installment that is usually on PS1. I know it's harder to do anything HD with them but it just sucks not having the first game included on there.

So far the only collection I have is the MGS collection and I kept the PS1 and PS2 games as those were the real copied that I played and beat several times.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

For me, it depends on how much I like the game itself, and how awful the original was. For example, the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection has a MUCH more stable version of SotC.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieroAlex View Post
    THat's the one I want the most and it seems to be the worst one available.

What really grinds my gears about the HD collections is that they never include the 1st installment that is usually on PS1. I know it's harder to do anything HD with them but it just sucks not having the first game included on there.

So far the only collection I have is the MGS collection and I kept the PS1 and PS2 games as those were the real copied that I played and beat several times.
    I got the Silent Hill HD Collection (XBOX360 version) because it was $9.99, so I didn't really have much infested, and was happy with what I got, which was essentially a HD port of Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams. Unfortunately, the port of part 3 was very sloppy (I only played it for an hour or two), and the absence of the attract mode sequence for part 2 was completely ridiculous and pointless (they included the one for part 3, weird). It was such a huge part of what made the first game so amazing/creepy to me the first time I played it, and was such a great memory for me, since SH2 was one of my introductions to survival horror. I love the way that it changes and they added voice audio after you've ended the game once. Almost a decade later and my wife will sometimes randomly say, "aren't you...MARIA?"

As for Metal Gear Solid, how would you do the Psycho Mantis battle with wireless controllers? I wonder how that works when you play the original PS1 disc on a PS3. Do you have to reassign the ports in the middle of the fight?
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-31-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Another thing. . .

Am I crazy, or couldn't you beat enemies with melee weapons when they were on the ground in the original releases of the Silent Hill games? I remember playing through the entire first game not realizing that you could stem on enemies and kill them instantly. I recall beating the shit out of them while they were on the ground, which was gruesome as fuck, and wouldn't kill them the first time around making the game even more disturbing to me.

Am I imagining this, or could you do this on the original games and they've removed this attack from the HD Collection, or is it still there and I just don't know how to do it in the HD versions?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I'm kind of the opposite. I'd rather go with the originals and play the games as originally intended and only buy the HD remakes in addition to the others if I really really liked the originals. It's just like buying both the Super Mario Bros. games for NES and Super Mario All-Stars, buying the original Kirby games and the Kirby collection for Wii, or buying all the Genesis Sonic games + Sonic Jam or Sonic Mega Collection / Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. You really have to love the games enough to do both.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I typically don't care about these sorts of things. I have the SotC/ICO remake, and I do love it. I kept the originals though. I like having them on my shelf. If they were worth a ton then I'd prolly unload em, but otherwise it doesn't seem worth the effort to trade or sell them.

The only other collection I've thought about grabbing is the God of War one since I only have number 2 for the PS2 and it would be an easy way to get them all in one tidy package.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm just looking to get the PS2 versions and sticking with them, I don't have a PS3 or high def TV and don't plan on getting them.

It's not that I'm always against upgrades and remakes, plenty of games had upgraded graphics when re-released on CD-ROM compared to their original floppy disk versions. It's not like I'll avoid the CD-ROM versions to play the earlier versions instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only one I have is the God of War collection so I sold the originals. The HD versions sure look better on a 60" LED tv then the PS2 versions.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once I upgrade to PS3 [not for another year or 2, whenever the price drastically drops], I can get rid of most of my PS2 filler material.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I don't mind it if i missed out on the game the first time,then the hd collection is worth it to me.Long as it's done right of course.I remember waiting for the (silent hill hd) collection to come out 'then seeing it's reviews and finding out it's a disappointment.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

To answer the topic question: It doesn't. I don't own any of the systems the HD collections get released for, so I'm gunning for the PS2 versions (or Gamecube versions, in some cases) no matter what.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm with wiggyx, Game Guy, and Edmond. I prefer the originals. To me, HD doesn't automatically equal better. Sure, visuals are nice, but there's charm in the originals. Likewise, I prefer Super Mario Bros or Ninja Gaiden on the NES to the enhanced SNES version, and all the Legend of Zeldas on their original platform instead of the Gamecube/3DS.

I doubt that will change when I actually buy a PS3.

The sun hurts my HP
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Submissive421

I have missed out on buying some of the ps2 originals. I never got around to the God of War series so I picked up the HD version for cheap. But I have both of the Metal Gear Solids on ps2 and HD for the XBOX 360. I kinda prefer the Metal Gears on ps2 because of the pressure sensor for the joysticks. It adds a little something for me. I just think the HD collection is a little treat and bonus. I also like the fact that you can do extras for the trophies or achievements. Just gives me more to do if I wish.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieroAlex View Post
    I wish they had done The Room, at least touched up the graphics, maybe not made them HD, but upgrading them in places would have been awesome. But they would have screwed it up anyway since they ruined the other two as well. I really like the first games graphics, adds creepiness, the 4th had some bad graphics next to good graphics which is distracting.

And if people didnt watch that first video, at the end of this one, last 10 or so minutes you see how these people shouldnt have been allowed anywhere near this project. I have no idea what they were thinking by doing. They had no idea what the meaning behind the characters were.

Last edited by JakeM; 06-01-2013 at 04:02 PM.