Thread: Documentary filmmakers to excavate infamous Atari E.T. landfill [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Documentary filmmakers to excavate infamous Atari E.T. landfill [Joystiq]

A planned excavation will soon give closure to a long-standing video game urban legend, and may provide new insight into the industry's crash in 1983.

Canada-based film production company Fuel Industries has obtained permission from the City Commission of Alamogordo, New Mexico to excavate a landfill containing a large quantity of unsold Atari 2600 games, for the purpose of filming a documentary. Local news outlet KRQE reports that Fuel Industries will have access to the site over the next six months.

According to reports in 1983, between 10 and 20 semi-trailer trucks filled with unsold, inoperable, and prototype Atari hardware and software were dispatched from an El Paso, Texas storehouse to a landfill in Alamogordo. The cargo was reportedly dumped, crushed, and encased in concrete.

Urban legends state that the film-licensed game E.T. comprised a significant chunk of the dumped material. While E.T.'s gameplay quality is up for debate (some say it's one of the worst games of all time; others claim that it's a misunderstood mediocrity), it was a notoriously poor seller, and played a role in Atari, Inc.'s decision to close and split its assets in 1984.

Given the layers of concrete involved, the excavators have a lot of work ahead of them. Recovering these cartridges - or anything recognizable, really - is going to require a lot more than a roadtrip and some shovels.Documentary filmmakers to excavate infamous Atari E.T. landfill originally appeared on Joystiq on Fri, 31 May 2013 19:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do you guys/gals think this is a good idea? I for one find the story and lore of this urban legend fascinating. I will definitely check this out when it is finished and airs. But if it turns out to be another Geraldo opening Al Capone's vault I'm gonna be HUGELY disappointed! So my question is this: Should we leave the mystery intact or should we satisfy our curiosity and unearth this thing?
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to know the truth.