Thread: Final Fantasy X and X-2: What went wrong?

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Final Fantasy X and X-2: What went wrong?

What do you think went wrong, if anything, with FF 10 and 10-2?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

People wanting to watch a game and not play it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Final Fantasy 10-2 didn't have a very good story, but the quest system and combat make the gameplay second to none within the series.

Final Fantasy 10 is pretty disappointing though and started the whole, walk in a hallway for 20 hours thing that Crisis Core then Final Fantasy 13 later followed. Combat was nothing but switch characters to the enemies weakness, and then attack or use a skill, one hit kill, battle done. Blitzball was the only thing good about this game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Losing the creator of the Final Fantasy franchise. :/ I mean, come on, the whole series has gone to hell without Sakaguchi.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Losing the creator of the Final Fantasy franchise. :/ I mean, come on, the whole series has gone to hell without Sakaguchi.
    Don't you mean company? I'm only guessing that Sakaguchi took most of the creative minds with him because when he left, everything just turned to shit. Not just Final Fantasy.

Although they've created a decent game here and there. Problem with that is, when your budget is $10-20 million, you shouldn't be creating a decent game with mostly bad games all over the place, you should be creating a decent game here and there with most of the games being good. When you put $10-20 million budget into each game and a decent game is the best you have to offer, something is very wrong.

Square Enix really needs to fire people like Kitase and Nomura and get some new people to lead the franchises. In an interview recently, Nomura said he wanted Final Fantasy 15 to be a musical. If I was conducting the interview, with all disregard to whatever repercussions came after, I probably would have bitch slapped him.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think there's also a disparity towards Japanese and American/European gaming preferences. I think the former are really into the things in Final Fantasy games that the latter dislikes, but getting a 40/40 from Famitsu probably means more to Square-Enix than bad to mediocre reviews from American sources.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the record, I do like FF X, but I didnt like the battle and leveling system and the confusing brain twister puzzles in the temples.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i had no problems with FF-X. is a good game. X-2 on the other hand.....horrible though I absolutely HATE job based character building. (or costumes in this games case)
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, too much cutscene time and no world map.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Blitzball.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't really see anything as having gone wrong specifically with them. They're just a further evolution of the direction that Square was going since 7, 8, and 9, for better or for worse.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I started FFX, as soon as I met Yuna I said "Oh, I see where this story is headed". Sure enough, 100 hours later, it played out exactly as I predicted it. I didn't expect an extremely sophisticated story, but with a game that long, I hoped for a few interesting surprises. Plus the music was too ambient and bland. Don't get me started on trying to get everyone's ultimate weapon

I totally ignored the story to FFX-2 and just enjoyed the job system and better music. As such I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love X but could live without the temples. Seriously, Yuna is all in there praying for dragons and shit, meanwhile you are proving your worth as her guardian by moving orbs around to different podiums.. the fuck?

X-2 had some horrible music, a damn corny story, too much recycled material, but I love the fast-paced battle system.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

I remember absolutely hating ffx the first time around coming off of the ps1 final fantasies and their huge worlds, completely open to exploration only to be met with (up til that point) the most linear rpg i had ever played

I made it almost to the end but ended up taking a break for 3 months coming back then forgetting how to play or what i was doing so i restarted.

The 2nd time around i had a blast, i ended up loving it for what it was instead of hating it for what it wasn't. Still didnt beat it as i couldnt defeat the final boss. Ultimately the linearity really diminished it in my eyes but it was still a perfectly fun rpg

Final fantasy x-2 looked super fucking wack on the other hand, thats why im glad its included in the hd compilation cuz there is no way i would ever touch that garbage on its own
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I loved Final Fantasy X, which is odd considering how much I hated Final Fantasy XIII and loved VII-IX. I don't know precisely what it is about X that appealed to me considering how linear it is but I absolutely immersed myself in that game, even going as far as beating most of the dark aeons. If I had to guess I'd say it was the pacing of it- there was always a tight focus on the story without it ever becoming too intense. You'd have your action sequences, followed by some story or character sequences, then a sidequest like Blitzball, all mixed up so it never became tiring or repetitive, though you had the option to indulge in an activity you particularly liked (like Blitzball).

X-2... I didn't really get in to. I played up to the final chapter but I never really found myself sucked into the game like I was with FFX. I love the whole idea of a 'and then what?' story that follows on from the events of games, but IMHO FFVII Advent Children did a much better job of that than FFX-2. It's really annoying because Square missed a real trick by not making FFX-0 instead when they'd laid out the story of Auron, Braska and Jecht through Auron's flashbacks in the first game. Now THAT would have been worth playing.