Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone successfully casted molds for security bits?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you don't get rich making molds of tools that already exist either.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post

Upon further research I'm glad I didn't spend near five bucks per bit. Someone linked a steel set for $18 bucks that has like every tool needed to open every console.

I just realized unless you get the extra long security bits you can't open a virtual boy even though it's the right size bits, it needs to be long enough.

So now I am looking into a kit vs the indivual bits.
    Ive got a similar kit that I purchased years ago and all I ever use are the 2 security bits. The long bits may be nicer because they can open a snes system easier but I just modded the screwdriver I have to extend the length of the security bit.
    Just buy the bits, buying the screwdriver set amounts to buying extra stuff you probably dont need. Do you plan on opening many virtual boys?

The even sadder part is I would have bought the bits and used them like one time over years to come.

With this kit I may actually get into refurbishing consoles.

I knew not to take what others say for face value. I would actually be a little upset at this point had I ordered the individual bits. The two bits would have came to about $9 bucks shipped when that whole kit is not much more.

Call me cheap or whatever but people don't get rich by spending foolishly.

WOW double checking that kit is $18 dollars with free shipping. I would say anyone who chooses the individual bits over the kit knowing about it is a dam fool.
    Well if you already have a screwdriver and are not in the market for buying more screwdrivers, then by buying the kit you are just spending more money than need be. And you are right, people dont get rich spending foolishly, especially buying stuff they dont need. Besides the 2 bits and a screwdriver, not much is really needed to open video game systems/games.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 06-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    you don't get rich making molds of tools that already exist either.
    Yeah you do. How do you think a competitors company casts tools that already exist?

The difference is they are casting metal on a commercial scale and I'm doing an amateur project.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Ive got a similar kit that I purchased years ago and all I ever use are the 2 security bits. The long bits may be nicer because they can open a snes system easier but I just modded the screwdriver I have to extend the length of the security bit.
    Just buy the bits, buying the screwdriver set amounts to buying extra stuff you probably dont need. Do you plan on opening many virtual boys?
    Once I have the kit yes.

I plan on buying broken units to make Frankenstein's with.

If all I was doing was fixing a system for personal I wouldn't even buy the bits at all. I would spend 20 minutes and make a plastic cast as I already did. Like I said I'm not comparing what I can make hourly or salary to an amateur project.

Your post proves my theory. You bought a kit years ago used it twice and let it rot after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Your post proves my theory. You bought a kit years ago used it twice and let it rot after that.
    I use the bits all the time. Its all I use though. Your 'theory' is bullshit, professor.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

I use the bits all the time. Its all I use though. Your 'theory' is bullshit, professor.
    Ok so you let everything but the bits rot. Figuratively speaking.

My point is I wouldn't buy something I didn't intend to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

My point is I wouldn't buy something I didn't intend to use.
    Then dont buy the kit, it costs twice as much and other than the 2 bits it has nothing special.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Then dont buy the kit, it costs twice as much and other than the 2 bits it has nothing special.
    I do intend to use them. I am a X construction worker. Even though a lot of is doubles it only cost like $7 dollars more then buying the bits individually.

Can't really go wrong with how little extra is cost. More so important I'm sure I will use some of the other tools at one time or another.

Any way didn't mean to cause grief.
    Last edited by needler420; 06-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Personally, my time is worth way more than that. They would have paid for themselves with that first use ($14 N64 is still a good enough deal). Not to mention that you can use them over and over again.
    You have to remember something, this is the same guy who previously asked about soldering directly to batteries to save the cost of buying proper battery holders for game carts, and wanting to use the cheapest dollar store batteries for replacements. He seems like the type of guy who would go hours out of his way to save $0.50 on something.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...eries-in-games

I'm a bit surprised he doesn't already own actual bits, you'd think somebody planning to offer a repair service for save batteries would own the tools needed to open the games in the first place. It's like finding out the roofer you hired doesn't own a nail gun and just wanted to duct tape your new shingles down over the old ones.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You have to remember something, this is the same guy who previously asked about soldering directly to batteries to save the cost of buying proper battery holders for game carts, and wanting to use the cheapest dollar store batteries for replacements. He seems like the type of guy who would go hours out of his way to save $0.50 on something.

I'm a bit surprised he doesn't already own actual bits, you'd think somebody planning to offer a repair service for save batteries would own the tools needed to open the games in the first place. It's like finding out the roofer you hired doesn't own a nail gun and just wanted to duct tape your new shingles down over the old ones.
    I still plan on going through with soldering directly to the battery when I can get the proper equipment. The bits being one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I did try the molded pen technique and it breaks after a screw or two. So I ordered some game bits, they were black and looked like charcoal and these are so cheaply made they didnt last more than 2 or 3 consoles I opened. So I ordered some new ones that looked like bronze, these are the one to get.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I did try the molded pen technique and it breaks after a screw or two. So I ordered some game bits, they were black and looked like charcoal and these are so cheaply made they didnt last more than 2 or 3 consoles I opened. So I ordered some new ones that looked like bronze, these are the one to get.
    Another reason why I wasn't in a rush to purchase the bits individually. I read a few different reviews where the steel is thicker on certain bits then others and some of them strip after a few uses like you mentioned.

It would be a waste to gets bits that strip after 2-3 uses. I'd be better off spending a few minutes molding a cast.

I think instead of going with bits I'm going to get this. Security screwdriver.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Too...+security+bits

I think that along with a tri-wing would be perfect. That or the kit.
    Last edited by needler420; 06-23-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would have been nicer to get the cast done faster and not fidget with it so much but based on the fact how often I would have used the bits I think I broke even at the very least. I'm also not comparing the time I spent to what I can make an hour or salary lol. It took me 35-45 minutes while sitting on a chair on my porch listening to music.

If anything I'm in major surplus because between my knowledge on opening more systems lately I may just buy the bits to start messing with more broken systems and stuff like that. I do know a little soldering as well so I may look into bigger projects one day. I also see a market for broken systems and Frankenstein's.

For now I have nothing else that I need the bits for anyway. Next time we'll see.
    Who said I was? All I said is that my time is valuable and that dicking around with melted pens to open a game console would be a massive waste of it.

Oh yeah, I know all about this guy and his awesome super powers. Like how he contradicts himself within a single post, or makes plans for something that's entirely bass-ackwards, or just makes nonsensical comments in general

I still plan on going through with soldering directly to the battery when I can get the proper equipment. The bits being one of them.
    @ proper equipment for soldering to batteries!
    Last edited by wiggyx; 06-23-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) plasticMan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't agree more...

Quote Originally Posted by Loganm187 View Post
    Price match trick? I don't think you can find such quality for under 18 bucks with free shipping. I looked around to see if i could price match it and all i could find were much worse sets that were more expensive so no price match there. The amount and quality of tools you get in that kit is mind boggling for that price. Pretty damn awesome. Have fun! I learned my lesson with individual tools.
    what i do for the price match is this.
    1. this guy (needler420) just found some cheap screwdrivers on amazon for about $6.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Too...=vglnkc7633-20)
    if you read here about price comparisons -> http://www.newelectronx.com/help.php?faq_id=110
    Newelectronx price matches! If you have a lower price on the same or similar product
    The key word here is similar. If you look at the amazon product it is similar - meaning it has the same screwdrivers located here (http://www.newelectronx.com/proddetail.php?prod=gamebit) - except here it is 12 bucks.
    2. so what you do is click the price match button on the right side of the picture. it'll go to some form. in that form insert the amazon link
    3. now insert the other part of their claim, Newelectronx will match that price and beat it by 5% (including delivery cost) - now you get 5% off $6.99 (amazon price), plus free shipping

At least that is how i did it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Who said I was? All I said is that my time is valuable and that dicking around with melted pens to open a game console would be a massive waste of it.
    Yeah total waste of time. Ive heard of the melted pen technique years ago and Ive always thought it was silly. How many pens will you go through before you waste an amount of pens that equals 8$? Not to mention the plastic fumes which Im sure are both healthy and delicious.

It would be a waste to gets bits that strip after 2-3 uses. I'd be better off spending a few minutes molding a cast.

The ones I have are charcoal in color, Ive used them hundreds of time and the snes one is worn down just a little bit. Both still work perfectly. Just gotta be careful when using them and they wont wear down.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 06-24-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Yeah total waste of time. Ive heard of the melted pen technique years ago and Ive always thought it was silly. How many pens will you go through before you waste an amount of pens that equals 8$? Not to mention the plastic fumes which Im sure are both healthy and delicious.

The ones I have are charcoal in color, Ive used them hundreds of time and the snes one is worn down just a little bit. Both still work perfectly. Just gotta be careful when using them and they wont wear down.

It only took 3 pens to open the entire console in about 40 minutes. I also stated in the very first post I had a bag of broken pens.

I did get some wiffs of the plastic fumes which is pretty nasty and that's what makes it not worth it. No matter what gear you use you're going to smell burning plastic.

It's not meant to be a amateur project for people that take apart gaming things on a regular basis. It's meant for someone who needs to change a single battery or get into a console one time for a quick fix. Hence why I'm not the first to do it nor will I be the last. Apparently from the comments a high % of you have attempted this even before me.

Which is why some people just strip the security bits off instead. They don't want to deal with the bits to change out a single dead battery. Either just replace the entire game or strip the bits out.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticMan View Post
    I couldn't agree more...

what i do for the price match is this.
    1. this guy (needler420) just found some cheap screwdrivers on amazon for about $6.99 (http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Too...=vglnkc7633-20)
    if you read here about price comparisons -> http://www.newelectronx.com/help.php?faq_id=110
    Newelectronx price matches! If you have a lower price on the same or similar product
    The key word here is similar. If you look at the amazon product it is similar - meaning it has the same screwdrivers located here (http://www.newelectronx.com/proddetail.php?prod=gamebit) - except here it is 12 bucks.
    2. so what you do is click the price match button on the right side of the picture. it'll go to some form. in that form insert the amazon link
    3. now insert the other part of their claim, Newelectronx will match that price and beat it by 5% (including delivery cost) - now you get 5% off $6.99 (amazon price), plus free shipping

At least that is how i did it.
    You have some crazy ass weird fetish when it comes to price matching. You're out there with your price matching nonsense.
    Last edited by needler420; 06-24-2013 at 05:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok so you let everything but the bits rot.
    Bit rot. You're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pothead
    I did get some wiffs of the plastic fumes which is pretty nasty and that's what makes it not worth it. No matter what gear you use you're going to smell burning plastic.
    Magic fuming screwdrivers: I need them!
    Last edited by wiggyx; 06-24-2013 at 07:25 AM.