Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for Super Famicom!?!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for Super Famicom!?!

You folks ever seen this? Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for the Super Famicom!?! I can't envision this having been released for our Super Nintendo, though... the whole Super Mario All-Stars-type compilation titles seemed to go out of style shortly after that title's own release.

~Ben

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes..

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yes, it certainly was released.
    It has now become one of the most-wanted and most expensive SNES games and the SFC version (Ninja Ryuukenden Tomoe) is also as expensive.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But then, when it comes to reviews, they seem to be less than favorable concerning both video and audio... lots of people say both areas are out of whack, like for example, some stage tunes were rearranged for the worse when compared to the respective NES versions.

It's obvious the Super Mario All-Stars formula doesn't work for every classic NES franchise translated to SNES and other 16-bit consoles (viz. Mega Man: The Wily Wars for the Sega Genesis but was only available to us through the Sega Channel service)... which may explain why Konami never did a compilation of the three NES Castlevania games to be made for the SNES.

And, furthermore, the popularity of the SNES was on the wane when this title was released in the summer of 1995... that year witnessed the release of both the Sega Saturn and the Sony PlayStation. We knew time was ticking for the platform this game was released for.

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 06-29-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Going by that clip I'd say the music is definitely off. I had a factory sealed copy of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy but sold it(to someone who works for RARE of all places) before I ever got to play it. But I still have all original Nes versions. I've been looking into the Super Famicom version but that too is quite rare and expensive.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It's rare. It's expensive. It sucks.

This is one item where I simply say, don't even waste your time and money on it.

Disclaimer: I like the series and own all 3 carts for Famicom where the music isn't fucked up and there's no password system added to the first 2 games for noobs. (Or some kind of saving/continuation function. Not sure. Don't really care. Slop ports make me rather unhappy at times X_X)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I didn't waste 40 on it and enjoy and prefer it. NG3 has the difficulty repaired to match the JP release, and I have a toddler and lack of time so the password is truly welcome. I know the a/v boost was inexcusably shitty but I can look passed that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I think you guys are missing one of the biggest shortcomings of this game - it doesn't replicate the flashing lightning in Ninja Gaiden II, my favorite stage of my favorite game in the series. Instead the entire stage is simply illuminated the entire time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for SNES is pretty sub-par for SNES standards, but the actual content isn't bad at all.

I like to think of the game as what the NES Ninja Gaiden games would have looked like if they were developed for the Sega Master System instead of the NES. The audio is that soft sounding SNES flare, but overall I think that it's a game more fitting Sega's 8-bit console than anything else.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have that game, the graphics are just like the NES version with more colors for shading drawn in, and the music is dull and fruity compared to the NES game.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

they didnt fix the annoying aound effects thats for sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I sold my sealed copy of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on SNES for $500 a few years ago. It and Dynastic Hero for PCE were probably the most valuable games in my collection before I parted with them.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    I think you guys are missing one of the biggest shortcomings of this game - it doesn't replicate the flashing lightning in Ninja Gaiden II, my favorite stage of my favorite game in the series. Instead the entire stage is simply illuminated the entire time.
    HAHAHAHA

I didn't even know about this XD

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What did Tecmo use for the unlockable trilogy in the original Xbox Ninja Gaiden? It sure wasn't the NES versions, seemed like they used the SNES ports. I almost pulled all my hair out finding all those scarabs and then having to beat the game twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    What did Tecmo use for the unlockable trilogy in the original Xbox Ninja Gaiden? It sure wasn't the NES versions, seemed like they used the SNES ports. I almost pulled all my hair out finding all those scarabs and then having to beat the game twice.
    I sometimes forget those games are hidden in there. I never beat Ninja Gaiden for Xbox, I gave up after the second stage so I never got around to track down those games either. One of these days...
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The sound and music in this port is intolerable. I find it hard to believe that anyone would prefer to play these versions over the originals.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problems with Trilogy are WAY overblown. All 3 of the games are playable and obviously ports of the high quality NES games. Some funky music and graphical issues suddenly make 3 awesome games on 1 cart "suck"? Give me a break.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_N77 View Post
    The problems with Trilogy are WAY overblown. All 3 of the games are playable and obviously ports of the high quality NES games. Some funky music and graphical issues suddenly make 3 awesome games on 1 cart "suck"? Give me a break.
    Well, it's not "Sonic Genesis" for GBA bad, that's for sure. In terms of replicating the gameplay it's more accurate than SMB1 on Super Mario All-Stars, even. But it's obvious people expected more.

I think the thing people are most disappointed in are that these remakes overall feel "phoned in", and lack the polish and hardware pushing the NES versions had. It doesn't feel like Ninja Gaiden if it doesn't feel like something which can trick you into thinking it has high production values. Note how most of the complaints people have outside of the questionable music arrangement (Although that being said, there are a few tracks which legitimately sound better -it's unfortunately most of the fan favorite NES tracks that got the worst portjobs) relate to minor graphical details being omitted. One or two of those are notable as it is, but the sheer amount that are missing when compared to the original NES trilogy makes you wonder if Tecmo sent this to some Tose-like third-rate porter for the job.

I think many people could've forgiven the questionable music if the extra graphical effects were intact, and vice-versa. But both being gone hampered the reputation of these remakes.
    Last edited by Kiddo; 07-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I owned this for a time. Among the things I didn't like about it were the redone music (especially that one tune that sounds like it's being played on a xylophone now), the loss of certain graphic effects (most notably in NG2 and 3), and most of all, the inability to remap the buttons. Being forced to use A (jump) and B (attack) instead of B (jump) and Y (attack) did not feel right.

Having all the games on one cart was a nice convenience (as were the passwords added to 1 and 2), but that was about it. I'll stick with the NES originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How much does NGT go for now?