Thread: Got short changed at a videogame store, what should I do.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Got short changed at a videogame store, what should I do.

Yesterday I bought and sold some items at a semi-local video game store. The items were a slim PS2 and NES and some accessories including 3 memory cards, and I bought a SNES, 2 PSP games and a DVD. Tonight I looked at the receipt and noticed that I had only been paid for 1 memory card. This is the second of 3 times I have had a problem in about 2 months, the first being an underpayment when I sold a spare Final Fantasy IX and the third being an over charge on the DVD I bought during the same transaction, I caught both of those before leaving. I do not intend to name the store in question as I want to give them a chance to correct this, I have gone there for over 10 years and it has been only the past 2 months that I have had a problem. If this isn't resolved are there any Los Angeles area authorities that oversee this type of stuff?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

There is the better business bureau. BBB Not to be mistaken for the KKK klu klux klan those people won't help you one bit.

I recommend the BBB. If it's a small brick and mortar store it's probably more of a hassle then anything.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    There is the better business bureau. BBB Not to be mistaken for the KKK klu klux klan those people won't help you one bit.

I recommend the BBB. If it's a small brick and mortar store it's probably more of a hassle then anything.
    That is what I figured, the hassle part that is. It is only $17.50 between the 3 screw ups and I am only out 10 of that, I also have no doubt that it was an honest mistake as they still use this clunky DOS POS program, they also have some new employees there that are probably too young to remember Windows 95 much less DOS. Unfortunately they are also one of the few independent video game stores in the region that GameStop hasn't canned, and is also one of the few retro stores.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Yeah best bet is to resolve it with the store. I have never had to deal with the BBB, hope I never do either.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

BBB is a worthless organization IMHO, especially in Los Angeles. http://www.bbb.org/us/article/better...tandards-40710

I don't really understand how you could walk out of a store without knowing exactly how much you were owed and that you were shorted. I would try to work it out with the store as there is no way any law enforcement or consumer agency is going to do anything to assist you.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id complain to the manager. Was it the same person doing the transactions this whole time through the years? Maybe the employee is trying to steal money or games and so theyre faking the receipts.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    BBB is a worthless organization IMHO, especially in Los Angeles. http://www.bbb.org/us/article/better...tandards-40710

I don't really understand how you could walk out of a store without knowing exactly how much you were owed and that you were shorted. I would try to work it out with the store as there is no way any law enforcement or consumer agency is going to do anything to assist you.
    The memory cards were just 3 of 15 total items, I was also distracted by the $2.50 overcharge on my purchase which I did catch. The store's receipts only list 8 items per page and a buy and sell transaction is treated as 2 separate transactions, combine the amended receipt for the DVD and that is 5 pages of receipts. These guys also make you wait for for 20 minutes PER SYSTEM due to their stupid policies, I was the first customer of the day and it took an hour since that 20 minutes stops counting every time someone else has a system cash in. If it isn't clear already these guys are understaffed. Only reason I even go there is that they pay good, and do so in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Id complain to the manager. Was it the same person doing the transactions this whole time through the years? Maybe the employee is trying to steal money or games and so theyre faking the receipts.
    I intend too, I was the first customer of the day and they had to ask the manager about the PS1 memory cards that I also wanted to sell (10 of them). I doubt that this was anything but an honest mistake however the guy who screwed up seems to be a bit of a village idiot.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post

Before I'd jump to filling official complaints I'd stop back at the store and talk to them. They might fix it themselves, I always believe in giving a person an opportunity to fix a wrong before escalading the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say nothing and not do it again, but I'm middle class and English and tradition dictates that we have trouble kicking off in the moment, let alone a few days after the event.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    Before I'd jump to filling official complaints I'd stop back at the store and talk to them. They might fix it themselves, I always believe in giving a person an opportunity to fix a wrong before escalading the situation.
    This would be my advice as well. Let them attempt to make it right. If they don't, the only advice I will give you is to stop going there. The BBB is worthless. I've dealt with them before with a very serious issue, and they did nothing. Getting the authorities involved will just be a waste of your time. It's your word against theirs and without proof there's nothing they can do.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

File a complaint with the BBB and prepare never to hear back because they don't really do much of anything and you have to be a business registered with the BBB for them to have any effect on you anyhow. Worthless organization.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    No kidding! Really I'm not sure what the OP was expecting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd create a thread on an Internet forum.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bring your receipt, make them check for discrepancies in their cash drawer for that day (they should have a daily/nightly record, like any business). Done deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    Yesterday I bought and sold some items at a semi-local video game store. The items were a slim PS2 and NES and some accessories including 3 memory cards, and I bought a SNES, 2 PSP games and a DVD. Tonight I looked at the receipt and noticed that I had only been paid for 1 memory card. This is the second of 3 times I have had a problem in about 2 months, the first being an underpayment when I sold a spare Final Fantasy IX and the third being an over charge on the DVD I bought during the same transaction, I caught both of those before leaving. I do not intend to name the store in question as I want to give them a chance to correct this, I have gone there for over 10 years and it has been only the past 2 months that I have had a problem.

If this isn't resolved are there any Los Angeles area authorities that oversee this type of stuff?

These guys also make you wait for for 20 minutes PER SYSTEM due to their stupid policies, I was the first customer of the day and it took an hour since that 20 minutes stops counting every time someone else has a system cash in.
    1 Three times? Why not look at the transaction and count your money BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE STORE?

2. The long wait is ridiculous. This ties in with giving you time to sort out all the finances.

3. Maybe name the store so others can watch out and offer their experiences there?
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0) plasticMan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

since you are a regular, and intend to keep doing business with this store then I would certainly return to the store and plainly explain what happened. It might cost you a long conversation and time out of your schedule, but it is the best resolve. The BBB is worthless and their rating system is even worse, so I wouldn't recommend that besides talking to horses a$$, never resolved anything from the mouth.
    go to the source... state your claim, and you'll be refunded.
    be cool, and don't get upset or irate, and certainly don't mention that this happened before. just keep that in your own note book (memory bank) and do what someone else said in this thread and watch your a$$ before you leave the store (in future dealings).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    File a complaint with the BBB and prepare never to hear back because they don't really do much of anything and you have to be a business registered with the BBB for them to have any effect on you anyhow. Worthless organization.
    It blows my mind that so many people's first step would be to contact the BBB.

You're not even going to give the store manager the opportunity to make things right first?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I feel that if you left the store without checking everything, then you are just as much at fault as the store. I"d more than likely just cut my losses.

I mean think about it, someone comes to you a day later about not getting what they paid for, I think they might assume you are trying to pull one over on them.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If a store keeps making mistakes like this one seems to, either stop shopping there, or be extra careful and make sure things are right before you leave.