Thread: The modern console collecting topic (PS2 to PS3)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The modern console collecting topic (PS2 to PS3)

This thread exists to share insights, stories, finds, etc. in regards to these consoles,

PS2
    Gamecube
    Xbox
    GBA
    PSP
    DS
    Xbox 360
    Wii
    PS3

No Dreamcast, 3DS, Vita, or Wii U. Basically, the criteria is that the console is a part of recent history, it's either finished within the past several years (Gamecube, Xbox, GBA) or is starting to conclude its lifespan (PS2, Wii, Xbox 360) (PS2 actually has an official upcoming release, Fifa 14).

Since I'm predominantly a PS2 & Gamecube collector, this was a topic whose absence I noticed.

So, who else collects for these consoles? Why do you like them? How do you think they will be viewed and how collectable will they be in the future?

Here are some general feelings/thoughts on the first 4 consoles in question,

PS2: Ridiculous scope in library and diversity in genres. Games are generally in the $10-15 range, but due to the libraries' size many quality games are $10-, and there are a smattering of $25+ games. Collecting for this console is a herculean feat and is a long term proposition. The realization of the PS2's greatness has not yet truly seeped into the general conciousness, like appreciation for SNES took time PS2 will take time as well. Has numerous outstanding import only games.

Gamecube: Quickly went from a lambasted inferior to PS2 to a collecting powerhouse. Its library is a fraction of the PS2's in terms of simple numbers, but it makes up for quantity with quality. General prices are $25-40 for many of its popular/unusual games.

Xbox: Currently flying under the radar. Games are with rare exception extremely cheap, though Xbox is lacking in exclusives compared to its competitors. It received the definite versions of numerous multiplats in its time. People's estimation of the console may increase with time, especially if Microsoft bows out of the console race after Xbox One.

GBA: A future collector's system, and already problematic to collect for. Its library boasts many RPGs and quality exclusives. GBA marked the last system dedicated to sprites, DS was erratic. CIB games are expensive, and piracy is a huge collecting roadblock. The GBA's singleminded focus on sprites and its impressive RPG+general quality game selection will grow its fanbase with time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah Xbox games, even Halo and all the other hand or two full of great games it had are super cheap. I guess I should buy them up.

PS2 you can still find many great games for cheap, probably because it had so many great games and such a diverse library makes people like so many different games.

At the end of PS4 life then youll see these titles sky rocket in price.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

I don't get how you exclude the dreamcast when its part of the generation of the consoles you listed.

You listed every sixth generation console then said to exclude dreamcast. Makes no sense.

You're even mixing two generations of consoles. Sixth and seventh generation.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I don't get how you exclude the dreamcast when its part of the generation of the consoles you listed.

You listed every sixth generation console then said to exclude dreamcast. Makes no sense.

You're even mixing two generations of consoles. Sixth and seventh generation.
    While I do consider DC a part of the PS2's gen, I excluded it because it's lifespan ended so much sooner than even GBA and Xbox. I don't consider it "recent history" in the same way.

And heck, Dreamcast deserves its own dedicated thread anyway, would you be willing to do the honors? I personally have the utmost respect for the DC, I didn't exclude it out of condescetion. DC was a gamer's dream console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been very surprised to see Gamecube's prices skyrocket. I thought it might happen eventually but it's very early. Do you think the prices will drop some time soon or just keep climbing?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I have been very surprised to see Gamecube's prices skyrocket. I thought it might happen eventually but it's very early. Do you think the prices will drop some time soon or just keep climbing?
    If they start to reappear in HD collections or as digital rereleases on Wii U, prices might drop. If PS4 ends up being a huge success and it distracts people, prices might drop. And this price uptick could just be a phase altogether.

I personally wouldn't be shocked if the prices remained where they are now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Me too, and I'm not really a big Gamecube collector, in fact I mainly got one for the GBA player but I have been interested in a few titles but it seems all the local thrifts and pawns get picked over - tons of PS2 and Xbox games but only sports or kids Gamecube games. Must be the "Nintendo" name and there are some fantastic titles to be sure but it seems of those 3 systems, Gamecube popularity and prices have far surpassed the other two.