Thread: XBOX out of commission...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Default XBOX out of commission...

Recently, I went through a very annoying T-storm. It was annoying because the rumbles were repetitive and loud. Anyway, the storm apparently disabled my Gamecube and XBOX. Well, not my Gamecube. All that was busted on my GC was the adapter, so I am grateful for that. The XBOX, however...

The repairs would be a little costly, but that's not what gets me. I had many CD's copied onto my XBOX's hard drive. I had more than thirty, if I'm not mistaken. Well, now I'll have to spend lots of time re-replicating them, unless they find a damn good way to save the hard drive.

It's not likely, however...
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are handy, you could try replacing your Xbox's internal power supply. Another busted Xbox would do the trick. Most of the busted Xbox's I see have other problems (laser/mobo), and their power supplies are fine. The procedure would be no harder than a power supply swap out on a PC - easier in some ways.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn...i hope that never happens to my friend...he has like 100 soundtracks on his damn xbox......

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    damn...i hope that never happens to my friend...he has like 100 soundtracks on his damn xbox......
    That would really suck for him... especially if he had every single Rush album on it.

I'm not handy at all. I suck at Tech Ed, and I always think that I would sever myself on certain machines. It hasn't happened yet. Unless the hard drive hasn't been directly shocked, I'm afraid it's dead.

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Do you use surge protectors by chance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Of course. I have surge protectors for every system. This bolt broke through the protectors! I didn't think the storm was that bad. I didn't even see any lightning, I just heard lots of thunder!

This will be a lesson to always unplug my systems through any harsh weather. Lest I forget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    Of course. I have surge protectors for every system. This bolt broke through the protectors! I didn't think the storm was that bad. I didn't even see any lightning, I just heard lots of thunder!

This will be a lesson to always unplug my systems through any harsh weather. Lest I forget.
    What kind of protectors? What was the joule (ie shielding) rating? Were they even rated for lightning strikes? All things one should look into when purchasing power strips. I've got two PowerMax(? I think, had them for over 6 years) that retail for about $40 that are rated for lightning along with surge suppressors that have well over a few thousand joule rating. You may want to check the guarantee of your strips to see if they have a "if it gets damaged, we'll pay for it" deal. Not sure how old you are, but do you (or your parents) have renters/home owner's insurance that may cover this.