Thread: JVC X'eye Questions. About video,audio and everdrive bios compatibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default JVC X'eye Questions. About video,audio and everdrive bios compatibility.

Hello I have a Model 1 genesis non TMCC, and a JVC X'eye and I have a few questions. First when I get my Mega Everdrive will I be able to boot the region free bios for the sega cd games? Second I plan on just playing the cartridge games using my model 1 genesis so i'm not concerned about playing everdrive cart games on my X'eye.

The second part of my question involves the JVC X'eye video. I have a pair of monster cables, but I notice there is 2 video ports on the back. One looks kind of like a S-Video port but is not. Should I be getting decent video with the AV Monster cables or is there a better option with that other port?

Finally, would I be better off just selling my X'eye and non TMCC Genesis and just getting a CDX? It would be easier and I could probably sell the x'eye and Genny and get one off eBay. I just really like the way the X'eye looks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The mini-DIN port on the back is the same AV out used by the Genesis 2 and 3. You can get RGB out of that but if you're just using composite, then you can use the RCA jacks already on the system. However, if you have a 32X that means you can use it with the X'Eye. Most X'Eyes I've come across have the mini-DIN jack but not all do.

As for making CD games region-free, you can use the Everdrive to load a region-free BIOS ROM, but you'll probably run into games that will have trouble with that setup. You'd have to perform a BIOS swap in order to truly make the system region-free.

I would also keep the X'Eye as it's more reliable (the CDX isn't built particularly well and is a bitch to repair) and easier to mod than the CDX. I'd also suggest keeping the non-TMSS (it's not called "TMCC"!) Genny just in case you feel like using a Genesis+Sega CD combo as well.
    Last edited by ApolloBoy; 07-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks I appreciate the help. I'm still up in the air about selling my x'eye though. And just keeping model 1 genesis and getting a model 2 Sega CD. I already have the plates and mixing cable. Assuming since I'm in America and I'm not going through the hassle of RGB could I get the same video and sound from the model 2 Sega cd setup? Because I have av cables for my genesis but they are weird. The red jack is the video, white is sound, and there is no yellow. Maybe I just have crap cables. And I'm still uncertain about the mixing cable. I just know it can switch output of sound between the genny and Sega cd. I'm uncertain if it actually helps get better sound.

It just seems like a hassle with the xeye cause I want to buy imports and I'm going to be really annoyed if keio doesn't work. Would you say the genesis 1 and Sega cd 2 is a good option?

Oh and I do want to use a 32x and power base converter. Not sure if the PBC even works on xeye.
    Last edited by greedostick; 07-09-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    Assuming since I'm in America and I'm not going through the hassle of RGB could I get the same video and sound from the model 2 Sega cd setup?
    Well, being in the US doesn't have any bearing on using RGB or not, I'm also in the US and I use RGB whenever I can (I use a Sony PVM monitor so I don't even bother with a SCART to component converter). Anyway, the video quality is a little better out of the X'Eye but the audio quality is little muffled on the X'Eye compared to the model 1.

Because I have av cables for my genesis but they are weird. The red jack is the video, white is sound, and there is no yellow. Maybe I just have crap cables. And I'm still uncertain about the mixing cable. I just know it can switch output of sound between the genny and Sega cd. I'm uncertain if it actually helps get better sound.
    They're not really crap, it's just that the model 1 only has mono audio from the AV port; you can only get stereo audio from the headphone jack. The mixing cable doesn't switch the output, it plugs into the headphone jack of the Genesis and into the input on the Sega CD. That way the stereo audio from the Genesis and the Sega CD are properly mixed.

It just seems like a hassle with the xeye cause I want to buy imports and I'm going to be really annoyed if keio doesn't work. Would you say the genesis 1 and Sega cd 2 is a good option?
    Using the Genesis+SCD combo won't change that, you still need to use the Everdrive to load a BIOS ROM or perform a BIOS replacement on the Sega CD.

Oh and I do want to use a 32x and power base converter. Not sure if the PBC even works on xeye.
    The PBC doesn't fit and has some issues on the X'Eye. I think a simply mod can fix that however. With the Everdrive you can load SMS games so you wouldn't need to worry about the PBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection