Thread: Classic gaming over modern gaming? What's you're stance? Video included.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    Sorry, arm chair warriors have little to no real experience when the times comes. video games aren't going to prepare you for anything unless, maybe, they are a full on VR experience.

army using games can only do so much, they still need in field training to be able to work effectively (or as effectively as possible)
    That was the point of the study. To see if modern games could be used as effective soldier trainer tools. When I say "they found this and that" I mean they took some soldier and some FPS gamers, gave'em guns and said "shoot that target over there". The solider performed as expected, the FPS gamers performed far above and beyond what was expected. To say that we have a bunch of video game programmed sleeper agents or something walking among the population is an exaggeration, of course, but we at least know that the practical knowledge aspect of the job (the other parts being experience and physical training) can be satisfied with a PS3.

Edit: Note that I'm not trying to make any claims here. Just reiterating an interesting study I read. I doubt anything will really come of most of it, aside from refining solider training programs.
    Last edited by JSoup; 07-31-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I must be "sad" since I pretty much only play old games. The only modern consoles I have are the Wii U and 3DS, not even a New 3DS. I don't care at all for the PS4 or Xbone or new PC games. For me, there's at least two decades behind us with more games than I can realistically play. I enjoy the old far more than the new, I enjoy what I could not enjoy when I was younger.

Come join us on Micro-64

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    I guess I must be "sad" since I pretty much only play old games.
    That is kinda sad. Do you only listen to music 20 years old or older? Or not watch newer movies?

It's one thing to limit what you play based on availability of funds. But using age as a limit seems so ... Foolish
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I ever listen to music, it's almost only game music. I don't watch much for movies, either new or old. I almost never watch TV shows aside from a select few I have on either DVD or my PCs.

What exactly is sad about not playing recent games? I don't care one bit for any modern AAA releases like Fallout 4 and the like. I also haven't seen a retro game (new game made to look old) that really looks that good. My interests lie strictly in the past.

I used to be like you, following only the latest trends in gaming, but then I realized nobody said you couldn't just enjoy old stuff, a lot of it being new to me because I've never experienced it before. It was a revelation to get back my old SNES stuff in the early 2000s, then I got an NES and N64 in the summer of 2006, two systems I had always wanted. Since then, I have been experiencing all the old stuff I missed out on. I also tend to just play my old favorites, I don't see anything wrong with that. Video games should be about what is good. To me, good is old, whether it's new or old to me.

I have the following systems:

NES (+Famicom)
    PC Engine (+Super CD)
    Genesis (+Sega CD, +32X)
    SNES
    Neo Geo (MVS and AES)
    Saturn
    PS1
    N64 (+64DD)
    Dreamcast
    PS2
    Gamecube
    Xbox
    PS3
    Wii
    Wii U

Game Boy (+Color)
    Game Gear
    Neo Geo Pocket Color
    Wonderswan (+Color)
    GBA (and SP)
    DS
    3DS

MS-DOS / Windows PC
    Macintosh

Why do I need modern games when I have so much to play already?

Come join us on Micro-64