Thread: N64 power switch issue - sometimes stays on even when switched off

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default N64 power switch issue - sometimes stays on even when switched off

Here's a weird one for you guys. I've done a bunch of research on this, but just about all I can find are people talking about their systems not turning on. Seems like I'm the only oddball with a system that doesn't always want to turn off when it's supposed to (and this is a new issue; I've been using this N64 for over a decade and only now this is happening). When it stays on after flipping the switch, I can get it to turn off, but it takes a little fiddling with the switch. Keeping it on is not a problem at all, as it always turns on when I switch it on and stays on for the entire time I'm playing. But even though it's functional in the general scheme of things, I do want to figure out what exactly is going on with it. I thought it might be dust stuck in there, so I blew compressed air all around the power switch and in every other nook and cranny of the system. No dice, still does it. Do you guys think it's dust that I can't get to unless I open it up, or could something else be the root of the problem?

I actually don't have a 4.5mm gamebit, so I can't open it up at the moment, otherwise I would've already done so. Any recommendations on where to get a high quality 4.5 gamebit at the best price? I already have a 3.8 and a screwdriver to hold 'em, so I don't need one of those sets. And I say "high quality" because I remember it being a nightmare trying to get a good 3.8 gamebit years ago. The first one I got, from a respected game collector-focused online store, no less, was junk, and in my attempts to get it to work, it stripped almost instantly. It was only thanks to the kindness of a member here on Digital Press that I got hooked up with a really good 3.8 gamebit that works like a charm.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It could be that the plastic piece that connects to the switch is cracked.

I got my gamebits from a Zoozen kit several years ago that seem to be of decent quality. Unfortunately they only seem to have a 4.5mm bit these days.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get these:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-MM-3-8-M...item56478f17fe

Those will open even a game cube or sega nomad.