Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capcom announces new Strider game

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Capcom announces new Strider game

Looks good to me. 2.5D like Strider 2, doesn't look like they're messing with the conventions of the arcade classic.

Could easily be in the same league of Grin's excellent Bionic Commando Re-Armed if Double Helix keeps things straightforward.

Glad to see Strider back after all these years!

http://kotaku.com/capcom-resurrects-...ries-831517409
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Another viewtiful game from Capcom!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

I hope this lives up to it's potential. Could be pretty damn fun.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I just peed myself a little. Hooray for a PC release!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Miss Gloom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    littlemissgloom

It would be lovely if Strider and Strider 2 were unlockables. :x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Badass. As a kid, the idea of Strider far exceeded the execution. Looks like the execution has caught up to the idea and made it its bitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looks friggin awesome! I hope some of the other levels are a bit more colorful though.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

looks interesting, the double helix thing concerns me though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Where are the big huge outrageous boss battles?

Nice to see Strider but at this point gonna stay cautiously optimistic. Need to see more huge boss battles and hear more *chink* *chink* sword sound effects, which brings to point, his sword sure does seem "small" and not so vibrantly bodacious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks nice, but in typical Crapcom fashion it's going to all downloadable services but those by Nintendo. Damn I hate them at most times. Strider as a franchise was some fine gaming in the past and that looks good. What a shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd View Post
    Where are the big huge outrageous boss battles?

Nice to see Strider but at this point gonna stay cautiously optimistic. Need to see more huge boss battles and hear more *chink* *chink* sword sound effects, which brings to point, his sword sure does seem "small" and not so vibrantly bodacious.
    Cautious optimism is always the way to go.

This 7 minute gameplay demo closes with an clear indication of at least one big huge outrageous boss battle.

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This looks freaking great! Nice to see a true return of my favorite video game character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I'm old, but I am not blind. Yet, I can't see what the hell is going on when he gets into fights. It's just a bunch of flashes and particles.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I guess I'll be the first one to say it. I think it looks like shit. How many hundreds of bullets hit Strider yet he's not dead in that demo? A lot of very long stretches with little to no divergence, a short hop here and there, some climbing, etc.

Capcom should have asked Sega to develop Strider for them. Shinobi on the 3DS was good.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing they probably had it on the lowest difficulty setting like most demos of games at this stage do. Plus, he did pick up that bullet deflection power-up, which seems to be a gameplay mechanic almost as essential to this game as it was to Jedi Power Battles on the PSone and DC, if you ever played that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I guess I'll be the first one to say it. I think it looks like shit. How many hundreds of bullets hit Strider yet he's not dead in that demo? A lot of very long stretches with little to no divergence, a short hop here and there, some climbing, etc.

Capcom should have asked Sega to develop Strider for them. Shinobi on the 3DS was good.
    This game is clearly going to suffer the same criticisms as Bionic Commando.

People are going to fault it for not being something that it never was.

If this game is going to maintain the tenants of the arcade originals it's going to have throngs of inept, weak solders that barely do any damage and drop like flies, projectiles that are typically much slower than Hiryu/can be easily dodged, a few mid-level bosses that can zip around faster than Hiryu/are a mild annoyance and some full-screen boss battles where you can pretty easily whack away at weak points.

I'm not a big fan of people attacking remakes/reboots that stick to the original conventions and don't wildly reinvent.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

@Serpico

Even if it was on easy mode it still doesn't look any good. Being a stage based game and how many power ups to player picked up on his way to the end of the demo was pretty ridiculous. Why didn't they just include everything from the start and designed the stage better rather than, get this to proceed through the next part of the stage. They have the player backtracking two steps to make use of the new ability he discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'm not a big fan of people attacking remakes/reboots that stick to the original conventions and don't wildly reinvent.
    But it's not sticking to the original conventions. In the original Strider you had three health with a max of five. One bullet removed one health bar and you'd lose whatever power up went along with that health bar, while there are points in this demo that looked like a bullet hell and power ups were lost when getting hit. You weren't constantly running straight forward with little to no divergence. You didn't pick up four different upgrades to your weapons and progress through the story. Any upgrades you picked up were time limited or limited based on not getting hit.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-22-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

But it's not sticking to the original conventions. In the original Strider you had three health with a max of five. One bullet removed one health bar and you'd lose whatever power up went along with that health bar, while there are points in this demo that looked like a bullet hell and power ups were lost when getting hit. You weren't constantly running straight forward with little to no divergence. You didn't pick up four different upgrades to your weapons and progress through the story. Any upgrades you picked up were time limited or limited based on not getting hit.
    Still sounds like you're splitting hairs over minutiae to me.

I don't see anything in that preview that doesn't look like a Strider game to me and I see plenty that looks entirely conventional to the first two.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

In all the excitement, everyone seems to have forgotten the other Strider game which I believe has been a big influence on how this one's going to turn out (including the guys at Double Helix, no one's brought it up in any interviews): the NES game. It was nothing like the arcade game. It was story-driven, with upgrades and items to use that were accessed from a menu screen, and was an early example of a "Metroidvania"-type game, what with the huge, sprawling levels that begged to be explored and items to be found that would grant you access to other parts of the stages. The new game seems to be leaning in that direction, rather than the direct point A to point B action of Strider 1 & 2. It's even been said in the official press material: "An intense side scrolling action platformer, Strider’s action begins in the expansive metropolis of Kazakh City, a mix of ornate Russian architecture and hard-edged futuristic high-rise buildings with sprawling energy cables and pipework. Players freely explore the city, gaining new abilities and items which in turn open access to a truly expansive interconnected game world beyond." That sounds just like the NES game.

Judging by what I've seen so far, this new game seems to be a melding of the original arcade game, Strider 2 and the NES game. And that's something I'm fine with. If it's handled correctly, it has the potential to be great.

It's a demo. You said so yourself. A demo's not the finished game, you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Dire 51 View Post
    In all the excitement, everyone seems to have forgotten the other Strider game which I believe has been a big influence on how this one's going to turn out (including the guys at Double Helix, no one's brought it up in any interviews): the NES game. It was nothing like the arcade game. It was story-driven, with upgrades and items to use that were accessed from a menu screen, and was an early example of a "Metroidvania"-type game, what with the huge, sprawling levels that begged to be explored and items to be found that would grant you access to other parts of the stages. The new game seems to be leaning in that direction, rather than the direct point A to point B action of Strider 1 & 2. It's even been said in the official press material: "An intense side scrolling action platformer, Strider’s action begins in the expansive metropolis of Kazakh City, a mix of ornate Russian architecture and hard-edged futuristic high-rise buildings with sprawling energy cables and pipework. Players freely explore the city, gaining new abilities and items which in turn open access to a truly expansive interconnected game world beyond." That sounds just like the NES game.

Judging by what I've seen so far, this new game seems to be a melding of the original arcade game, Strider 2 and the NES game. And that's something I'm fine with. If it's handled correctly, it has the potential to be great.

It's a demo. You said so yourself. A demo's not the finished game, you know.
    You know, I disliked the NES game so much that I completely neglected to consider that, but you're right. This does seem to be a marriage of both games.

I think the NES game was just bigger conceptually than the hardware could handle. Would've made a great SNES game that could have done more colorful, fluid and smooth sprites and collision.