Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does everyone display their consoles?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Default How does everyone display their consoles?

I am looking to redo my retro console setup since right now it is kind of ugly. I have been looking everywhere and nothing seems to work. My biggest problem is that a couple of my consoles are about 15 inches wide and nothing I find that I like will accommodate that width. I really like these
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_324177-44493...AID=1706905566
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_314235-440-4...sales_dollar|1
    but the dimensions again won't work. I would build something but don't have the time or skill (I think). Help and or suggestions would be great.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should look at home theater stores. More expensive stuff usually be quality and better selections of stuff you dont find in everydy big box stores.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lots of adjustable wall shelves in my case. the kind with the slotted metal wall brackets and removable braces. I have about 30 different consoles and some games and controllers on these wall displays. My other consoles are in multi-shelf stereo component cabinets on both sides of my entertainment center. The glass-door stereo component cabinets with about 5 shelves per unit work nicely for video game consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The systems that I play regularly are in the entertainment center.

The rest are in a wall unit that I built.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

I'm not sure what the IKEA situation is like for Florida, but in my experience they are the masters of oddly dimensioned furniture. I guarantee that if you couldn't find a sturdy and nice looking shelving unit for your odder consolers, you'd be able to add some sort of add-on that would allow for them. As someone who just bought two new entertainment center and shelving units for my expanding game collection, I can say that you can almost build custom furniture with their designs. Might be something you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FFStudios View Post
    I'm not sure what the IKEA situation is like for Florida, but in my experience they are the masters of oddly dimensioned furniture. I guarantee that if you couldn't find a sturdy and nice looking shelving unit for your odder consolers, you'd be able to add some sort of add-on that would allow for them. As someone who just bought two new entertainment center and shelving units for my expanding game collection, I can say that you can almost build custom furniture with their designs. Might be something you're looking for.
    I second at least looking through IKEA. They helped furnish a lot of my game room and the prices are normally so low that if you compare the cost of buying/assembling from them, or building your own custom shelves the prices are almost the same.

If you count the extra time you's spend building/desigining custom shelves, IKEA stuff really takes the cake. The quality isn't top of the line, but everything is still sturdy and fits the bill for me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This guys is the best Ive seen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	game-room.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	6919

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    The systems that I play regularly are in the entertainment center.

The rest are in a wall unit that I built.

Why do you have 2 DCs hooked up?

Also, that wall unit is pretty nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only one is hooked up at a time. JP and US

Thanks!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post

Love that thing.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I second at least looking through IKEA. They helped furnish a lot of my game room and the prices are normally so low that if you compare the cost of buying/assembling from them, or building your own custom shelves the prices are almost the same.

If you count the extra time you's spend building/desigining custom shelves, IKEA stuff really takes the cake. The quality isn't top of the line, but everything is still sturdy and fits the bill for me.
    I need to go back to ikea on a weekday. I went on a Saturday and the place was horribly packed and couldn't really get a good look at anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you are looking for storage I use these plastic drawers from target. Well, I can't find the exact one but they look very similar to the link. The are 3 drawers high and have wheels on the bottom that can be taken off. They also are stackable. I found over the years they hold my consoles and keep them clean of dust. I don't know what these are in the link because the ones I get and see at every target are like $8.00 for a 3 drawer unit, not the $80.00 on here, and the shelves have no breathing holes on the front. They however will not fit large consoles like Neo Geo or Sega CD. They're also great for using to store extra wires and controllers. I suggest if you have any consoles that you keep stored up most of the time then get a few of these. You will always find a use for them. I have never been at a target that doesn't sell these. They are normally in the section by the bathroom and bedroom supplies.

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-cl...lot=medium_1_7

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If there is enough room, have all the consoles plugged in and ready to go with multiple switchboxes and power strips. Every console should have a controller plugged in and laying on top or front ready for gameplay. The non ready "Museum Display" consoles might not be used if it has to be hooked up and a controller has to be fished out every day.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of my consoles are ready to play and are displayed on 2 different bookcases on either side of my television with a few key systems on the shelf below where my TV is sitting. I'll post some pictures eventually but it's a pretty nice display that keeps them looking nice and readily accessible. As for the cords, well, most of them are held together with plastic ties similar to what you would find on a bag of bread and then they're placed into cord concealers that all lead to the television, this method keeps all the wires flowing in the same direction with minimal showing of the "spaghetti" effect that I've seen a lot of people suffer from.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Name:	2013-07-26_20-40-55_187.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	6940

It's not the best picture, and i don't know how to make it bigger, but here's my set up. I personally like everything lit up and behind glass. The case was from a goodwill for $7 and the tv stand was $5 from a garage sale. I just bought some lights for inside.

One major consideration when redoing a set up is controller cord length. I make sure to have consoles with short cords near the bottom with long power and a/v so I can pull them out and put them closer to the couch. With 14 systems hooked up it's a lot of wires but everything stays hidden pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's a pretty good setup. But I wonder if the white consoles will yellow over time witha light on them. I could be wrong but isn't yellowing of consoles from a reaction to light?

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to be contrary here and say I prefer to keep only one or two systems out at a time, and the rest hidden away in drawers. Having a dozen systems in my peripheral vision when I'm playing messes with my zen .

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post

That's a pretty boss set up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow nice setups guys!

Insert Coin (Level 0) StarMan_NES's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got so many video game systems that it's become a hassle to really have them all ready to play at a moments notice so I basically hooked up the 10 that I frequent and when one is out of cycle with me I'll replace it with something else. Mainly, I have the 10 that are hooked up on a glass equipment tower on the right side of my television with all of the others displayed openly and nicely on a large 7 shelf book case to the left. I keep the cords fairly hidden but with that many consoles it's really difficult not to have something of a wired nightmare going on, but I try and it looks fairly good and professional for what it is. Maybe I should tear off pieces of Giant Panther's hair and use it to tie the cords together? Next time we're in the ring together I'll be sure to snip a few strands for myself.