Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RYGAR for the NES

Insert Coin (Level 0) StarMan_NES's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about instead of bashing the poor guy you contribute to the conversation at hand. In the OP he asks for your opinions on the game, not his blog, and all he does is put is put a link in the thread and its up to YOU to click it or not. He actually is promoting video game discussion, which is what we're supposed to be doing here, but instead you guys strike out at him. How about we discuss Rygar and promote video game discussion for a change seeing as how that was the purpose of the thread? I added my input on the game a while ago.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The idea of the threads is to get discussion going about specific games I've been playing as of late, sure I like to link to my blog but that's not the core reason. I do ask for your input and feedback on the games in question and I do want to discuss the games themselves, not the blog in which I've written. That's why Ibsen about your experiences with the games and how you feel about them. Anyone who can read can see that.

Focus on game discussion please, that's the priority. If you dont wish to discuss the game than move along please, so I will ask again....

What are your memories, experiences, and feedback on Rygar?
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StarMan_NES View Post
    How about instead of bashing the poor guy you contribute to the conversation at hand. In the OP he asks for your opinions on the game, not his blog, and all he does is put is put a link in the thread and its up to YOU to click it or not. He actually is promoting video game discussion, which is what we're supposed to be doing here, but instead you guys strike out at him. How about we discuss Rygar and promote video game discussion for a change seeing as how that was the purpose of the thread? I added my input on the game a while ago.
    I'll happily have a conversation if it's not met with a link to the guys blog 100% of the time.

I'll happily not be a "douche" as someone else said when the guy who started the thread doesn't attack someone who posted in it by calling him a loser and bragging about how his blog gets "tons of comments" (5 or 6 tops per post, with many of them being OP himself replying) and 400k hits.

The guy is a spammer.

If he wants to discuss Rygar, make a post about Rygar that doesn't have a link to his crappy blog. Look at his Twitter. All it is is follow Friday spam and meaningless BS. He's trying to build a brand at the expense of the good name of this site. It's garbage.

Also, OP didn't seem to answer his question about negative comments being removed from his blog. I know for a fact he's done it on multiple occassions. Maybe all that "awesome feedback" that he claims he gets is equally negative.

It's hard to be constructive with the guy when he's constantly spamming the board. You're blind if you don't see it. Even in this thread. Every time it'd fall off the front page, he'd bump it with an irrelevant post. "Yeah, I was talking to some random dudes who all said they love Rygar! Let's continue the discussion." He might as well post "BUMP" -- which, in the past, has been grounds for banning. I can't remember that one retro game reviewer who did crappy YouTube reviews, but this guy is exactly like him. He feigns the slightest interest in conversation, and people are polite enough to indulge him, when you know this is nothing but spam.

Again, RVGA, if you want to have a discussion, how about doing it without linking to one of your blogs?

You can't, because your only interest here is to drive traffic.

Call me a douche all you want, you guys are outnumbered and it's about time that people started speaking up. This guy doesn't belong here.
    Last edited by CastlevaniaDude; 08-06-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    I'll happily have a conversation if it's not met with a link to the guys blog 100% of the time.

I'll happily not be a "douche" as someone else said when the guy who started the thread doesn't attack someone who posted in it by calling him a loser and bragging about how his blog gets "tons of comments" (5 or 6 tops per post, with many of them being OP himself replying) and 400k hits.

The guy is a spammer.

If he wants to discuss Rygar, make a post about Rygar that doesn't have a link to his crappy blog. Look at his Twitter. All it is is follow Friday spam and meaningless BS. He's trying to build a brand at the expense of the good name of this site. It's garbage.

Also, OP didn't seem to answer his question about negative comments being removed from his blog. I know for a fact he's done it on multiple occassions. Maybe all that "awesome feedback" that he claims he gets is equally negative.

It's hard to be constructive with the guy when he's constantly spamming the board. You're blind if you don't see it. Even in this thread. Every time it'd fall off the front page, he'd bump it with an irrelevant post. "Yeah, I was talking to some random dudes who all said they love Rygar! Let's continue the discussion." He might as well post "BUMP" -- which, in the past, has been grounds for banning. I can't remember that one retro game reviewer who did crappy YouTube reviews, but this guy is exactly like him. He feigns the slightest interest in conversation, and people are polite enough to indulge him, when you know this is nothing but spam.

Again, RVGA, if you want to have a discussion, how about doing it without linking to one of your blogs?

You can't, because your only interest here is to drive traffic.

Call me a douche all you want, you guys are outnumbered and it's about time that people started speaking up. This guy doesn't belong here.
    Can you read? I am diverting all negative discussion to discussing Rygar, if you don't plan on doing so than move along. As for my link, it's there and if you wish to click it is totally up to you. "If you don't like what's on television, change the channel". Thanks.

Now, back to DISCUSSION ON THE GAME, the reason the thread exists......

I'm thinking about playing the game a little more in depth, possibly with Game Genie so I can experience the game beyond the hour or so I spent with it previously. Also, I heard that there was a version of Rygar with a different colored label, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheRetroVideoGameAddict; 08-06-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for this thread: Some people need to grow up. Theretrovideogameaddict has tried to drumm up conversation, but the thread keeps getting hijacked by brain dead morons who just want to crap on people. Let it be and talk about the damn game like adults, sheeesh!

As for the game: I've yet to see an alt label for Rygar, but I haven't exactly looked either. I do own the game and kinda like it, but it isn't one that means a whole lot to me or a game I have deep memories with or anything. It's just "alright" in my book. I do know people who really like it though.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

The conversation is excellent post page 1 but I just want to post out that none of this would have happened if the dude hadn't been so stupidly hostile to people with differing opinions. I was in and out of this thread in two posts, more people should have done the same

EDIT: There are a lot of ways to deal with someone shitting on you on the internet, and acting like a 9 year old who just figured out what insults were (fighting fire with fire) is not the right way. Just my two cents. Suck it up and ignore it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've not personally seen an alt version of Rygar online or in the wild, maybe you're talking about Metroid's alt version with the yello label? II'll look into this, thanks for the homework assignment! LoL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've not personally seen an alt version of Rygar online or in the wild, maybe you're talking about Metroid's alt version with the yello label? II'll look into this, thanks for the homework assignment! LoL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    As for this thread: Some people need to grow up. Theretrovideogameaddict has tried to drumm up conversation, but the thread keeps getting hijacked by brain dead morons who just want to crap on people. Let it be and talk about the damn game like adults, sheeesh!

As for the game: I've yet to see an alt label for Rygar, but I haven't exactly looked either. I do own the game and kinda like it, but it isn't one that means a whole lot to me or a game I have deep memories with or anything. It's just "alright" in my book. I do know people who really like it though.
    I just looked into it and I can't find an alternative label, myself. I read an article online that discussed alternate labels on NES games and Rygar was mentioned but it turned out to be a custom label someone made and put on the game and sold it on eBay for a load more money than it was worth. Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    The lack of being able to save was an issue for me because with work and a nagging fiancee I can't spend more than an hour or two with a game unless its on a day off.
    Nagging because she knows a good game when she sees one (Rygar).

I was talking to a friend of mine who grew up with the NES and he holds Rygar in high regard, heck, even my fiancee does since she grew up with the game as well.
    Over the past day and a half I've talked to at least 3 close friends who enjoyed it back in the day, my fiancee had noted that she enjoyed it as a kid, and its getting praise on a couple different forums at the moment.
    I have heard the final boss was insanely hard, I may look him up on YouTube or something.
    No better way to review a game than to watch someone else play it on YouTube!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    No better way to review a game than to watch someone else play it on YouTube!
    Also no better way to bump a spam thread. How on earth does nobody else see this obvious tactic to keep his link bumped to the front page???

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FFStudios View Post
    The conversation is excellent post page 1 but I just want to post out that none of this would have happened if the dude hadn't been so stupidly hostile to people with differing opinions.
    Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and its not like he only does it on this forum. the same threads and replies are plastered all over the place. Like I said earlier, the guy just wants attention. If he replies with the meaningless reply to 'bump' you'll see that same reply popup at nearly the same time on any other forum he posts this stuff to. That and the replies seem "rehearsed."
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just looked into it and I can't find an alternative label, myself. I read an article online that discussed alternate labels on NES games and Rygar was mentioned but it turned out to be a custom label someone made and put on the game and sold it on eBay for a load more money than it was worth. Oh well.
    I didn't think there was one floating around out there. Now I've got the urge to play this game for the first time in a long time, maybe I'll toss it in the ol' Nintendo tonight and give it a whirl since it's been so long. I remember it being a lot like Castlevania mixed with another similar NES game but I can't remember what, but I do remember the grappling hook which set it apart from many other games and jumping on top of enemies early on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    and its not like he only does it on this forum. the same threads and replies are plastered all over the place. Like I said earlier, the guy just wants attention. If he replies with the meaningless reply to 'bump' you'll see that same reply popup at nearly the same time on any other forum he posts this stuff to. That and the replies seem "rehearsed."
    Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't think there was one floating around out there. Now I've got the urge to play this game for the first time in a long time, maybe I'll toss it in the ol' Nintendo tonight and give it a whirl since it's been so long. I remember it being a lot like Castlevania mixed with another similar NES game but I can't remember what, but I do remember the grappling hook which set it apart from many other games and jumping on top of enemies early on.
    Go for it!

I've heard good things about the Rygar game for the PS2 but I'm a tad reluctant to purchase it since I wasn't all that crazy about the NES version, could anyone give me some feedback about the PS2 version? I have a friend who said it was good and compared it to God of War, a game in which I think looks enjoyable but have yet to play, but I'm a tad bit of a completion hound and since I own Rygar for the NES I feel the need to own it for the PS2 as well.

Input?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@TheRetroVideoGameAddict - Great thread, and great question about Rygar for the PS2. Check out the following video below for more info on Rygar: The Legendary Adventure and it's gameplay style if you haven't seen the video yet. I, for one, felt Rygar on the PS2 was a much better game than it's NES brethren, it flowed nicer and has a wide range of attacks and things to do that gave it some depth. A solid action-adventure title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO2DdFkyHrs

@ Everyone not discussing the game - Please move on unless you have something to add to the discussion of RYGAR, it's you people who are diverting discussion on the game and giving this forum a bad name. Sure, the original poster dropped a link to his blog in a post, but you know what? The link to his blog is in his siggy too and it's up to you to click it or not so if you don't want to discuss Rygar than don't come into the thread. Period. The more you do the more you're breaking the rules of the forum by hijacking threads and the more attention you bringing to his blog in the end. A blog in which I think isn't so bad, if not pretty good. So again, talk about Rygar or kindly fuck off.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Sure, the original poster dropped a link to his blog in a post, but you know what? The link to his blog is in his siggy too and it's up to you to click it or not
    Then why do a majority of the threads that this guy posts contain a link directly in the post (as in the sole reason he made the post to begin with -- and not just here, he copies and pastes virtually identical posts across several forums! Including his generic bump posts that add nothing to the conversation!) to his stupid crappy blog?

This guy created his account at the same time he created his blog, and it's sole purpose is to spam the blog. I can't believe you people fall for this.

Take a look at the guy's posting history.

His first thread EVER was nothing but a link to his blog.

He followed that up with a thread about Contra and in the second post added a link to his blog, perhaps to make his post look less spammy.

In his third thread, he advertises to his terrible review of Hydlide, and the immediate reaction by a user is that he's spamming multiple boards.

You'll note that by this point, when discussion of his threads stops or slows down for about 12 hours, like clockwork, he comes back and bumps the thread... Usually making points that he's already made in an effort to feign good discussion. He does this both here and on NintendoAge -- the same exact bump posts, and at the same exact times. Real thoughtful conversation, huh?

So by his 4th thread, you'd think someone would've caught on that all this guy does is post about his blog. He does, and posts a perfectly acceptable Jaguar thread (except that the Jag - General discussion has been going on for years).

His 5th thread goes right back to the spammy goodness.

WHAT DO YOU GUIZE THINK ABOUT THIS RANDOM FAMICLONE THAT I HAPPENED TO REVIEW ON MY AWESOME BLOG

He then posts an "Official" Twitter thread. Do you guys recognize this dude's pattern of delusion? Everything is "Official" as if anyone cares about this self-important lunatic. Of course, the only reason for this thread is to spam his Twitter account, which incidentally does nothing but spam people with solicitations for followers. Also, as a member for less than one month at this point, what on Earth gives him the authority to create anything "official"? Not to mention, courtesy would state that you'd quietly place something like that in your sig and maybe post on the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

By this point, I've already pegged the guy as a spammer, but I typically follow the rules and norms of the community here. Hell, you can see that I've been a lurker for several years and hardly post -- that's usually because if I don't have something to contribute, I STFU. Anyway, I even have positive interactions with the dude in this thread in an effort to maintain the peace.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is this.

Out of 18 threads started by RVGA on the DigitalPress forums since May of 2013, TEN of the threads have contained direct links to his blog or YouTube videos. TEN OUT OF EIGHTEEN. 56%.

And again, I've gone out of my way to try to be civil with this guy. Hell, I even briefly followed him on Twitter until he started with the #FF (random long lists of users in an effort to get followers) spam and retweeting random crap in efforts to get followers and mentions.

It wasn't until this thread when people started calling him out and criticizing him and he took the low road and called another user a loser (a loser because he doesn't have a crappy Blogspot blog that nobody reads and a YouTube channel with mostly stolen videos?). I reported the thread to mods, not quite providing as much background as I've done here but enough that they should've been able to draw the same conclusions that I had. At that point, I'd had enough, so I spoke up. If I'm in violation of some rule by wanting to eliminate spam from the community, ban me, I'd rather not be here.

If 56% of the threads I started were only made to pimp my blog that happened to pop up at the moment I joined here and at NintendoAge, I don't think I'd have a complaint if someone booted me from a forum. It's happened in the past and I see no reason why it shouldn't to this guy.
    Last edited by CastlevaniaDude; 08-07-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry if I've offended anyone, I honestly didn't mean to and I truly do apologize. I just want to discuss video games, and sure, promoting the blog here and there is nice too but I won't put it directly into my posts anymore if you guys don't want me to. I'll just update my signature instead. Also, I don't think I'm "official" anything, but I wanted to call my Twitter "OfficialRVGA" because when I was a kid I had a gold sticker that said "official" on it that I won in a spelling bee, so I got the nickname of "Official" when I was younger and it kind of stuck, sorry if it came across as I feel I'm some official authority on gaming or something to that effect.

I hope we can all get along and be friends and I am sorry if you're angered with me, I've tried multiple times to put this thread back on track and I'm sorry if you guys hate me or whatever, I just wanted to find a home to discuss classic video games and to meet some new people. No hard feelings, I hope.
    Last edited by TheRetroVideoGameAddict; 08-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry if I've offended anyone, I honestly didn't mean to and I truly do apologize. I just want to discuss video games, and sure, promoting the blog here and there is nice too but I won't put it directly into my posts anymore if you guys don't want me to. I'll just update my signature instead. Also, I don't think I'm "official" anything, but I wanted to call my Twitter "OfficialRVGA" because when I was a kid I had a gold sticker that said "official" on it that I won in a spelling bee, so I got the nickname of "Official" when I was younger and it kind of stuck, sorry if it came across as I feel I'm some official authority on gaming or something to that effect.

I hope we can all get along and be friends and I am sorry if you're angered with me, I've tried multiple times to put this thread back on track and I'm sorry if you guys hate me or whatever, I just wanted to find a home to discuss classic video games and to meet some new people. No hard feelings, I hope.
    As I pointed out, when you make normal posts that aren't obviously for the purpose of linking to one of your blog posts, they're generally good.

I'd just recommend not making half of your posts coincide with a new blog post. If people want to read your blog, they will. I have no problem and I don't think anyone else does that you place links in your sig. That's what it's for. The problem is when you start a new thread to coincide with every post. It's spam, there's no other way to put it.

I appreciate you being civil about it. Like I said, you've had some good posts and I give you credit for them. It's the opinion of a lot of us, though, that you'd have more to offer as a poster if you made them less about yourself and more about the topic at hand.

Thanks for the thoughtful and mature reply, for once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You shouldn't have to apologize, man. These guys took a thread that should have been about discussing Rygar and screwed it all to hell, it's their fault this thread got derailed, not yours. If these people could properly read they would have seen that you tried on like 6 different occasions to put the discussion back on Rygar and the only promotion for your blog was on the first page, a page which probably hasn't been visited since early on after you posted the thread. People have moved on from page one and the only promoting for your blog I've seen is by those who dislike it, and you know what that does? It brings traffic to your blog. So let them bitch and moan, in the end you win. It's like when a TV show is failing and they do something that upsets a small group, that small group protests and then the show becomes popular. Same thing is happening here. RVGA, you did nothing wrong and you tried to put the discussion back on the game, as have a couple of people, but the same 3 braindead morons keep dragging you and this thread down and that's on them, not you, so keep on rocking and keep up the great work on your blog man!