Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Of all the consoles out there, which one do you enjoy collecting for the most and which one takes priority?

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Of all the consoles out there, which one do you enjoy collecting for the most and which one takes priority?

I've been collecting video games for a while now and I've been asked by friends, family, readers, and other folks "which system I collect for the most"? I also saw elsewhere a similar thread asking the same question but yet there is no similar thread here, so I decided to post the same question to my DigitPress family. What console takes the top priority in your hunting and collecting and which system do you enjoy collecting for the most? Sometimes the two aren't the same, like for example I love PS1 and Atari 2600 and have been putting a massive focus on those two consoles and their games as of late thus making them a top priority, but the NES and SNES are two systems that I enjoy adding to my collection and hunting the most.

How about you guys? I think this would be a fun thread to participate in and to share some stories, so let's hear it!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be perfectly honest, I don't "collect" so much as I "accumulate". What I mean by that is that I buy games that I like, regardless of system, and over time remain open to more and more suggestions as I read reviews/watch videos/stumble upon stuff.

My largest collection is NES, which is still fairly modest, but it's mostly games that I like and play with my friends over beers. I think if I ever started buying games just for the sake of completionism, I wouldn't have fun with it anymore.

My least favorite was TG16. I bought a turbo a few years ago, got really bored with it right away and frustrated with the prices of some really crappy games, and sold it for about half of what I paid for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I don't "collect" so much as I "accumulate". What I mean by that is that I buy games that I like, regardless of system, and over time remain open to more and more suggestions as I read reviews/watch videos/stumble upon stuff.

My largest collection is NES, which is still fairly modest, but it's mostly games that I like and play with my friends over beers. I think if I ever started buying games just for the sake of completionism, I wouldn't have fun with it anymore.

My least favorite was TG16. I bought a turbo a few years ago, got really bored with it right away and frustrated with the prices of some really crappy games, and sold it for about half of what I paid for it.
    Yep, I have the same idea with my collecting. That's why you will see very few LJN games in my collection (except for Gotcha!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Currently the Sega Genesis for me. And as the others above stated, I usually only collect or acquire what I will actually play. But I do have a few titles I'm not fond of that I grabbed because they were cheap and CIB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Turbografx 16/PC Engine for me. Great little system with some really nicely put together games. I also have ahd a sweet spot for 3DO as of late. Awesomeness.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always wanted a master system as a kid but we ended up a Nintendo family (stopped after n64)

I finally got one like 6 months ago and I made it goal now to get a complete USA set of games. I've stopped collecting for other systems for now. It is sad the SMS didn't get any love in the USA but we can blame Nintendo for that and some of it on Sega for poor advertising and some really poor design choices, like the box art and the carts. I think I have 40 games to go, an in box controller, in box phaser and then in box systems.

I REALLY do want to get a TG16 and a Jaguar. Those were two other systems I always wanted to get back in the day. I know the Jag is sort of a failure but thats ok and the TG16, sucks that, again, USA didnt gte alot of the good games. least in emulation, I am enjoyng the japanese games a lot more than the USA ones.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    I always wanted a master system as a kid but we ended up a Nintendo family (stopped after n64)

I finally got one like 6 months ago and I made it goal now to get a complete USA set of games. I've stopped collecting for other systems for now. It is sad the SMS didn't get any love in the USA but we can blame Nintendo for that and some of it on Sega for poor advertising and some really poor design choices, like the box art and the carts. I think I have 40 games to go, an in box controller, in box phaser and then in box systems.

I REALLY do want to get a TG16 and a Jaguar. Those were two other systems I always wanted to get back in the day. I know the Jag is sort of a failure but thats ok and the TG16, sucks that, again, USA didnt gte alot of the good games. least in emulation, I am enjoyng the japanese games a lot more than the USA ones.
    Sure, the Jaguar was a failure but it has it's share of fun and exciting titles. I really loved Breakout 2000, Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, DOOM, Atari Karts, AVP, Zool 2, Cybermorph, Rayman, and a few other games that the Jaguar housed, it's worth picking one up if not for it's interesting history alone. I play my Jaguar fairly often to this day, but not as often as some of my other systems of course.

As for the TG-16, I guess I should hunt one down since mine is only working when it pleases. I've only got 7 games for it so I'm not too worried since I never play it, but I'd be better off with a completely working console.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think now a days the only I reason I want a Jaguar is tempest 2000 and the joy of having one and the massive controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think now a days the only I reason I want a Jaguar is tempest 2000 and the joy of having one and the massive controller.
    There are lots of good games on the console, Breakout 2000 is a blast in 2-player and a trip in single player, and yes, Tempest 2000 is a great game. I remember seeing AVP for the first time in 1994 and thinking it was the next coming of Christ, nothing looked as good aside from 3DO games at the time and I had yet to see or play a 3DO when I first saw AVP. The commercial for AVP was a great one too.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

My weakness has to be the NES. I know I haven't been around for a while but for those that don't know I collect RPGs for any and all systems. However I'm a sucker for any boxed NES game regardless of the genre.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love collecting for the Turbografx 16/PC Engine and I definitely have a soft spot for those sexy 3DO long boxes but my #1 answer is easy, the Sega Master System. I'm 14 games away from a CIB US collection (I have Sonic, just not UPC'd and don't care to) and have a small but growing PAL library. Best part is that I'm just missing the cheap commons. I'm taking my sweet time though as it will be bittersweet to complete as that journey will be over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now I'm focused on collecting ColecoVision titles. I enjoy collecting 2600 titles but I can't afford to collect both right now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Words iManifest View Post
    Love collecting for the Turbografx 16/PC Engine and I definitely have a soft spot for those sexy 3DO long boxes but my #1 answer is easy, the Sega Master System. I'm 14 games away from a CIB US collection (I have Sonic, just not UPC'd and don't care to) and have a small but growing PAL library. Best part is that I'm just missing the cheap commons. I'm taking my sweet time though as it will be bittersweet to complete as that journey will be over.
    i did the same thing with Sonic and will do so with any other UPC sticker games, though my golden axe warrior has the sticker.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Like many here have stated, I have the most fondness towards the NES. The NES was the first system that I owned and have the most childhood memories with. The NES would be my largest library of games out of all my collection.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I collect what I like. New consoles take priority because I have most of what I'm interested in for older consoles.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Words iManifest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i did the same thing with Sonic and will do so with any other UPC sticker games, though my golden axe warrior has the sticker.

The rest of my UPC'able games are UPC'd and there's already many debates on what constitutes a complete collection but for me, I just don't care. My copy of Transbot is the standard box and cart, not the card version and that's just fine for me. Less about the little things and more about where the collection takes you.

I was just camping up in Wisconsin with my wife, her friend and husband, everyone was sleeping in the car and I was driving. Happened on this old antiques shop in the middle of nowhere and just had to pull over feeling I might find some rare gem inside. I didn't find anything cool game related but picked up this weird monkey/coconut kinda thing for my wife that she loves, lol. How often would you do that if you didn't collect though ?

I don't mean to stray off topic but I feel it relates, it's that pure excitement of acquiring that new game for your favorite system and being one step closer to completion...or...maybe I'm just weird.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I don't collect games anymore..
    (yea right tell that to my shelves,boxes bins filled with them..

Ok I don't collect like I used to...

However when I find something I didn't pay attention to years ago as I should of I may collect for it..

Such as the VECTREX..

Right now I'm so crazy about playing games for this system that I'm slowly buying games for it..Not everything as I'm actually selling Vectrex games I will never use such as the Light Pen Games...

Any game that I can play with an overlay actually made for it I want..
    So that's what I'm mainly colleting for..

I buy Xbox 360-PS3 games each month and never sell them but I don't feel i'm collecting them as there are just tooooo many to collect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I have always had a fondness/weakness for the Sega CD.

While many don't like those oversize jewel boxes (mostly due to their fragility), they display very handsomely when lined up on a shelf with those (mostly) uniform blue spines and easy to read titles. I have somewhere around a hundred (what with dupes) and they generally attract the most attention from non-gamers when they see my game collections.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn, but that's because I am almost done with my NES (the reason I am in the collecting hobby) and SNES collections.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now, the PlayStation is where you'll find the best bargains and unusual stuff when you're out doing the rounds. So that one.