Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons and Dragons Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    I got a BG2 collection from a thrift store looked cool but never booted it up. I will install today. Thanks for the games lists everyone. This should keep me busy for a bit....DnD wise that is.
    There are a lot of very good community mods. Check out the gog article

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    What a coincidence, GOG has their entire D&D catalog for sale this weekend. For less than $25.

http://www.gog.com/promo/dnd_gems
    It's substantially cheaper when it goes on sale on Impulse.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I got a BG2 collection from a thrift store looked cool but never booted it up. I will install today. Thanks for the games lists everyone. This should keep me busy for a bit....DnD wise that is.
    Every moment spent on this forum is time wasted playing BG2. Go! Go now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Eye of the Beholder for Sega CD is awesome. It's THE best version of the game as far as I'm concerned. It's essentially the PC version with a seemingly out of place, but nonetheless awesome techno soundtrack composed by legendary Yuzo Koshiro. It also supports the Mega Mouse!

Order of the Griffon is also really good. It has a few odd bugs here and there, but nothing game breaking. I really like the atmosphere of the game and I have always had a soft spot for the Turbos sound chip. I really like the music in this game.

Edmond Dantes pretty much said all that needs to be said of Warriors of the Eternal Sun for Genesis. The blend of first person dungeon crawling and Ultima style view for world and town exploration is quite refreshing.

They are all three excellent games, with excellent graphics, great soundtracks and most important of all, fantastic gameplay. I highly recommend all three.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See you in a month!

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

AD&D (w/no subtitle, the subtitle was added later, just like Star Wars and Episode IV) was probably my favorite Intellivision game. Spent so many hours playing that over and over. It's not an RPG at all, more like a very simplistic Zelda predecessor, but I had a lot fun with it when I was a kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Yeah, pretty much whenever an RPG originated on the PC, it's better on the PC.

The only exceptions that immediately come to mind are Ultima: Exodus, Might and Magic 1, and (arguably) the first three Wizardry games.
    You have to love the Nintendo port for Pool of Rad though:

1. Clerics don't bless or pray; they "empower" or "meditate."
    2. A person doesn't "die," they "expire."

Insert Coin (Level 0) Doommaster1994's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lictalon View Post
    You have to love the Nintendo port for Pool of Rad though:

1. Clerics don't bless or pray; they "empower" or "meditate."
    2. A person doesn't "die," they "expire."
    Pool of Radiance on the NES is my favorite game of all time. So much that I own two copies (one complete and my dad's cart), and the Japanese version complete.

Lictalon, it's not the developers' fault that those changes were made. Nintendo of America prohibited any kind of religious references, so it's not fair to criticize the game for something beyond its control.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I used to own the NES Pool Rad, but outside of finding some of the music kinda catchy I just couldn't get into it... it felt like such a downgrade from the PC original. Especially how the walls were all gray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There weren't NES games I could think of that had a better looking 1st person perspective; Top Gun, Airwolf, Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode/Mafat Conspiracy, etc.
    All of the graphics in the NES version were done by one person.

But if you want a really bad AD&D experience, play the NES version of Hillsfar. I heard the game was only made just so you could level up your characters and transfer them into the sequels, making the NES version ultimately useless.

I don't mean to sound defensive/fanboy-ish about Pool of Radiance NES, it's just that like I said, it's my favorite game, probably because it's my first ever game. Even so, I'll admit one huge problem I had with the NES game was the resting system. In the computer versions it was much faster, but in the NES version, you have to sleep for 24 hours just to gain a point of HP. It's a major problem when you're near the end of the game when your characters have a huge amount of HP. You can try to have your clerics cast Cure Light Wounds, but it's still slow because you have to go into their spellbook and then cast it, then choose to memorize it, sleep to memorize it, etc.
    Last edited by Doommaster1994; 08-20-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Does anyone know of a complete listing of D&D arcade games?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    Does anyone know of a complete listing of D&D arcade games?
    There were others besides the two Capcom games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doommaster1994 View Post
    But if you want a really bad AD&D experience, play the NES version of Hillsfar. I heard the game was only made just so you could level up your characters and transfer them into the sequels, making the NES version ultimately useless.
    Hillsfar on the PC is a completely pointless, stupid game too. It's fun for a lark but that's the nicest thing I can say about it.

I don't mean to sound defensive/fanboy-ish about Pool of Radiance NES, it's just that like I said, it's my favorite game, probably because it's my first ever game. Even so, I'll admit one huge problem I had with the NES game was the resting system. In the computer versions it was much faster, but in the NES version, you have to sleep for 24 hours just to gain a point of HP. It's a major problem when you're near the end of the game when your characters have a huge amount of HP. You can try to have your clerics cast Cure Light Wounds, but it's still slow because you have to go into their spellbook and then cast it, then choose to memorize it, sleep to memorize it, etc.
    Actually the resting was an issue on the PC too--it wasn't until Curse of the Azure Bonds that they added the feature where healers would automatically cast healing spells during rests so you didn't have to sleep for 1000000 hours to heal 27 HP. In PoolRad? You had to remember to cast the spells manually.

To be honest, as much as I like PoolRad, it is kind of a skippable game in the series--yeah, you can transfer characters over to Curse, but Curse also introduces new classes like the Paladin and the Ranger, and better party-balancing options, making a transferred party from PoolRad not-entirely-ideal.

This reminds me of something. At a bookstore I actually found a novelization of Pool of Radiance. Haven't read it yet though (American fantasy is hard for me to get into) but once I do I'll post a review. PoolRad also apparently got turned into (or was based on--I forget the story) an actual game module for the AD&D rules.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Eye of the Beholder for Sega CD is awesome. It's THE best version of the game as far as I'm concerned.
    I recommend you check out the Eye of the Beholder mods for Neverwinter Nights if you haven't already. You're essentially playing Eye of the Beholder with the Neverwinter Nights system, and it is awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own the DOS/Macintosh version of Pool of Radiance as well. I couldn't get into them too much because they were just too hard for me. In the computer versions, they give you way more enemies.

For Eye of the Beholder, yes that's a good game. I own the DOS/SNES versions. I played through the Sega CD version once and I really liked that one, too. And the fact that it has a soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro makes it even more worthwhile to play. SNES version I'd only recommend if you have a mouse (I don't remember if I beat that one). Though most of the monsters make high-pitched organ sounds, and I found that kind of funny. I remember the leeches on the first level scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Now it's those protozoid slimers from Duke Nukem 3D!

Eye of the Beholder II is my personal favorite out of the trilogy, though the medusa labyrinth and the part with the frost giants was one of the most tedious things I've ever went through. Eye of the Beholder III's okay, but the guild was also really tedious to go through. I remember a part where you have to go through a long underwater segment without using the water breathing spell which was frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

This reminds me of something. At a bookstore I actually found a novelization of Pool of Radiance. Haven't read it yet though (American fantasy is hard for me to get into) but once I do I'll post a review. PoolRad also apparently got turned into (or was based on--I forget the story) an actual game module for the AD&D rules.

I think the module was based on the PC game. The novelization is pretty forgettable (way too many deus ex machina plot turns).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the novel. I only read a little bit. From what I can remember it doesn't have anything to do with the game. All I remember is that some girl student's teacher ends up getting killed.
    Last edited by Doommaster1994; 08-20-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wasn't it NES Heroes of the Lance that made Nintendo Power's Top 10 Worst Games in NP #100?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised. And to think that game was developed by Natsume. To be fair, it was one of their earlier games, and the sequel released on the Famicom is so much better, even if it's one of the shortest games on the Famicom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I don't think Natsume developed Heroes of the Lance (since it was originally a PC game)--I think they just ported it.

I tried to play it once, but it really is as horrible as its reputation states.