Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons and Dragons Games

Insert Coin (Level 0) Doommaster1994's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry, you're right. The conversion for the NES was done by Natsume. I'm not sure who did the original computer versions. I think it was U.S. Gold, or maybe they just published it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=Daria;1979064]For consoles:
    Slayer (3DO)
    DeathKeep (3DO)

I'm glad that someone remembered these two games. While not the greatest FPS style AD&D games ever made, they are still very strong games and very well made. If you have access to a 3DO and haven't played them, they are well worth the effort of tracking down. Very good stuff indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I recommend you check out the Eye of the Beholder mods for Neverwinter Nights if you haven't already. You're essentially playing Eye of the Beholder with the Neverwinter Nights system, and it is awesome.
    Cool. I never knew that this existed. Thanks for the heads up!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

[QUOTE=T2KFreeker;1979895]
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    For consoles:
    Slayer (3DO)
    DeathKeep (3DO)

I'm glad that someone remembered these two games. While not the greatest FPS style AD&D games ever made, they are still very strong games and very well made. If you have access to a 3DO and haven't played them, they are well worth the effort of tracking down. Very good stuff indeed.
    I own Deathkeep. I have to say... the graphics and music are awesome and I really like the atmosphere, but DAMN is the game hard.

I have given it several honest attempts and cant get more than 10 minutes into it without dying. The slippery ice certainly does not help matters. Maybe I should play slayer first.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a GoldStar 3DO but it's getting fixed. I'll check them out when I get it back. Thanks!
    The closest thing I have is Stonekeep for DOS which I didn't get to play much. I got that and DeathKeep confused for a second because I believe Stonekeep also got a release on the 3DO but I could be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't been able to get past the second level in Deathkeep. Unlike Slayer, they don't give you a map.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Yeah, pretty much whenever an RPG originated on the PC, it's better on the PC.

The only exceptions that immediately come to mind are Ultima: Exodus, Might and Magic 1, and (arguably) the first three Wizardry games.
    Might and Magic 2 on consoles was also better than the PC version. Genesis version is the best graphically, SNES is Europe only but sound is probably better.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doommaster1994 View Post
    I have a GoldStar 3DO but it's getting fixed. I'll check them out when I get it back. Thanks!
    The closest thing I have is Stonekeep for DOS which I didn't get to play much. I got that and DeathKeep confused for a second because I believe Stonekeep also got a release on the 3DO but I could be wrong.
    I wish. I would own it if it had. The only two D&D games on the 3DO are Deathkeep and Slayer. Perhaps Stonekeep was announced for release and cancelled at the end of everything? It would have been cool to have more games like this though. Like I said, they are hard as nails, but well worth playing through if you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another good D&D game is Lands of Lore. I don't think it's a legitimate AD&D video game, but it's very similar to Eye of the Beholder. They were both developed by Westwood.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

I just found baldurs gate dark alliance one and two for xbox and dnd heroes. All for ten bucks at my local market. Woot. I have to get the bgda one disk resurfaced though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Archeology View Post
    I just found baldurs gate dark alliance one and two for xbox and dnd heroes. All for ten bucks at my local market. Woot. I have to get the bgda one disk resurfaced though.
    Damn, that's a pretty good deal. I loved Heroes. I still need to hunt that one down again, sadly. Hopefully I can find a nice deal on it like that too.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Might and Magic 2 on consoles was also better than the PC version. Genesis version is the best graphically, SNES is Europe only but sound is probably better.
    Besides the Euro one, there was actually an entirely different Might and Magic II port for the Super Famicom in Japan. It was radically different from the PC original, and sadly nobody has done a translation patch for it (probably people assume its just like the PC one and it isn't).

Now that you mention it, I actually liked M&M2 Genesis better than the PC one as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It occurs to me there's a lack of love for Planescape Torment in this thread so far. I really, really need to go back and finish that one someday.

I must admit that its lack of any hesitation in burying you in D&D mechanics like THAC0 and AC ("What do you mean, the number goes down when I equip armor?") is rather off-putting, especially in comparison to every Japanese CRPG ever ("Hi! I'm the Equipper-Teacher Man! I'm here to teach you about equipping items! Do you know how to equip items?").
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always end up considering Planescape to be it's own, awesome thing and never view it as connected to anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    I always end up considering Planescape to be it's own, awesome thing and never view it as connected to anything else.
    Well, it really is. Unlike Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and so many other D&D based games, it's not set in the Forgotten Realms campaign/the world of Faerún.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sadly, most of my D&D videogames stopped after the 16 bit era. I did play D&D Heroes on the XBOX as well as Baldur's Gate. I always wanted to try Never Winter Nights though. I see that it's pretty cheap on GOG, or it was last time I checked.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

I love Neverwinter Nights (if I can remember where I put my Platinum edition DVD, I'm installing it next on my laptop), but since I also love hack n slash dungeon crawlers, I have a soft spot for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 and 2 on the PS2 (I now have D&D Heroes too, but haven't played it yet).

And last weekend, I picked up Warriors of Eternal Sun at the Montreal Comiccon, along with Galahad (Genesis port of the Amiga game Leander) and Dragon's Fury (Genesis port of Devil's Crush). Haven't gotten around to try Eternal Sun yet, but reading about it here makes me think I did well in picking it up.

Incidentally, last year, Eric found a CIB copy of Heroes of the Lance on PC, complete with original sales receipt!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have a complete copy of the PC Heroes of the Lance, but it is in terrible condition. It was either that or Double Dragon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wizards Crown is one if the best D&Ds out there, on A8, Phantasie 1 and 2 as well, Demon's Winter and Shard of Spring, Questron 1 & 2 and the Gold boxes on C 64 Apple or IBM, The Magic Candle is one of my favourite D&D on C64.
    On consoles D&D usually sucks, you need a joystick and keyboard to play D&D, I guess DragonStomper on VCS is one of the better D&Ds out there,
    and Japanese D&Ds are the worst
    Last edited by tom; 09-20-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    I haven't played that game in about 20 years now. I remember not having a favorable opinion at the time. I think I'll check it out again sometime soon.
    Same goes for me. I was used to playing Final Fantasy II and Phantasy Star 4 at the time, and it felt a little primitive to me when I was 10, but given how I've recently become enchanted with the likes of Ultima 4 and 5, I'd probably get a bit more enjoyment out of it now...