Thread: Ooooh. I don't like this idea...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ooooh. I don't like this idea...

I went to one of my local Salvation Army stores today, and they have recently taken all of the items that could possibly be deemed "collectible" and put them in a glass case. Then, they slapped and "opening bid" price on the items, and a sort of permanent silent auction has been established. Auctions last for a couple of weeks, and the high bidder gets it. The lady there told me they plan to do this indefinetly.

The reason I bring this up is that in the case was a small lot of NES games! The opening bid price works out to their typical price for games ($2-3 each), but the prospect that it will most likely go higher bothers me. I mean, the whole POINT of going to these kind of places (for me, anyways) is to search for cheap games, and pay LESS than ebay and/or the video game store prices. I don't fault the Salvation Army for trying to make the most money they can from their donations, but it seems like the "word is out" on older video games.

I haven't seen any of the other Salvation Armies or other thrift stores around here doing this, but have any of you seen this going on? I'm hoping this isn't a trend.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Well I think you can make this work for you.

If the item is really really rare ( ie the only reason I bother to look any more ) you don't have to be the first to see it. If Stadium Events ever shows up its yours. Because what "normal person" would bid more than a few bucks. With the old way if you weren't the first to grab it at the $2 price tag you would miss out. Ok so it costs you $15 but you don't have to take the chance of someone getting it before you even see it.

If the stuff is really common bid really low. Yes you will lose sometimes but think of all the games they might have sold there that you never even got to see.

Adam

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't sweat it too much, they, and Goodwill (and I suspect others) have been doing this kind of thing for years.

The thing is, we're really the people that kind of deal is aimed at, and more often than not, we don't bother with it, as we can find as good or better deals elsewhere.

I've seen some places try it, then it fails, then they go back to dumping everything in .50 bins.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    Don't sweat it too much, they, and Goodwill (and I suspect others) have been doing this kind of thing for years.

The thing is, we're really the people that kind of deal is aimed at, and more often than not, we don't bother with it, as we can find as good or better deals elsewhere.

I've seen some places try it, then it fails, then they go back to dumping everything in .50 bins.
    Exactly. I've seen this come and go alot.

However, don't pass it up just on principal. I scored a rare book Andy Warhol put out in the 1960's ("Index") from a glass case in a thrift for $17. Here's a current ebay auction for the exact same book (granted in a little better shape than mine, though mine is in really good shape.)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1563053566

Not too bad, eh?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

u might be able to get some good deals still because i bet alot of peeps will not even bid on they items.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/Lexicon810.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Lexicon810</iframe>