Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atari 2600 game Princess Rescue pulled from Atariage store

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Atari 2600 game Princess Rescue pulled from Atariage store

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215...ses/?p=2827743

What happened was Atariage store was told to stop selling the game.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215...ses/?p=2827743

What happened was Atariage store was told to stop selling the game.
    It sounds like Nintendo hit AtariAge and the programmer with a cease and desist letter. Not super surprised given that the game uses the Super Mario music note for note to the extent the 2600 can reproduce it. Nintendo seems to be overly aggressive on cracking down on stuff like this from the use of Super Smash Bros. at the EVO tournament to its takedown of fan videos and playthroughs. Definitely not a fan friendly company by any stretch.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a bummer, but not unsurprising. I hope this doesn't affect the version of Sonic he's been working on, or AtariAge's willingness to carry a physical cart of it.

I'm glad I got a physical copy of Princess Rescue. I hesitate to wonder what it is worth now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so the guy should just change the music. He should have know better in the first place.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, releasing a game with graphics and music blatantly ripped out of Super Mario and then selling it for money was definitely asking for trouble...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In fairness, and in this guy's defense, there's a virtual cottage industry in recreating classic games on the Atari, Intellivision and Coleco, and the only major issue prior to this involved Gorf of all things. I'm sure part of the reason there have few problems is that many of the old publishers and developers no longer exist . There are something like half a dozen versions of Pac Man available for sale, and even takes on Nintendo properties such as the updated versions of Donkey Kong for Intellivision. Whatever has changed recently definitely has to do with Nintendo's end of things. There are valid reasons for Nintendo wanting to protect their copyright, but it continues to create a poisonous attitude among gamers to keep going after such small fry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the history of Atari Age and the way Al Yarusso has done some people, I couldn't be happier. I only wonder how they have gotten by with infringing on Namco's IP's for so long.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    With the history of Atari Age and the way Al Yarusso has done some people, I couldn't be happier. I only wonder how they have gotten by with infringing on Namco's IP's for so long.
    This is the first negative thing I have ever heard about Al and I've been a member here and at Atari Age for a very long time. Are you going to share more information about your claims or is this just a completely scurrilous attack?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I only wonder how they have gotten by with infringing on Namco's IP's for so long.
    You don't know the whole deal with Namco. The fact is the programmer of the 7800 game Pac-Man Collection contacted Namco years ago around the 2005/2006 time frame. Namco didn't respond, but Namco didn't tell the programmer to stop developing the game either. That meant the programmer was given the okay to develop the game without any problem.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 09-11-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

With the history of Atari Age and the way Al Yarusso has done some people, I couldn't be happier.
    I got 2 questions for you:

1.) Were you banned banned from Atariage in the last 2 years?
    2.) Were you selling homebrews on Atariage?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

sloan you're WAY off base on Al, he's a pleasure to deal with, and his forum is a treasure to the community. His homebrew store is one of a kind. Only the Collectorvision Coleco guys come close.

This is a shame, and really not a surprise, given Nintendo's history. When I say that, this is of course not the first time. Their recent attack on YouTube Let's Play videos was sheer stupidity. How ridiculously lame are they to be attacking an Atari 2600 game!!! A 2600 game!!! Other publishers simply don't care. I mean, did MS sue the guy who has been selling Halo 2600?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This is the first negative thing I have ever heard about Al and I've been a member here and at Atari Age for a very long time. Are you going to share more information about your claims or is this just a completely scurrilous attack?
    I can tell that there had been Members of Atariage banned for stuff in terms of selling without permission or go a step farther than that including a long term member of Atariage. There was an Atariage member that was selling hacks, and homebrews of games without permission of the author.

There was an Atariage member late last year that banned for buying homebrew games for making bootleg copies of games illegally. That person also had questionable ethics as an ebay seller also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I mean, did MS sue the guy who has been selling Halo 2600?
    There is a catch with Halo2600. Ed Fries had permission to make Halo2600 from Microsoft and that was easy for Ed to do since he was the vice president of game publishing at Microsoft during most of the Xbox's lifecyle.

What happened with Ed Fries usually doesn't happen. The fact is there was homebrew Intellivison games that never were released because game companies didn't want their ip's to turn into homebrew intellivision games such as Tetris, Pooyan, Alien, Space Invaders, Maniac Mansion, rick dangerous, sword of fargoal, nibbler, and mule as examples.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a scurrilous attack in the slightest, and not unfounded. And, no, I am in no way 'way off base'. Al's fans and cronies will defend him to the death, so I have nothing to present to those people.

Suffice it to say I know numerous individuals who were banned, not for illegal homebrews, but for just disagreeing with AA's trolling moderators and Al's cronies. Alcoholics and other miscreants who are given free reign to call people anything they want (Former Atari employees are the worst offenders). It is a tight-knit clique over there, and if you get out of line in the eyes of you know who, there is a heavy price to be paid.

Don't ask me to name names, but I stand by my claims completely.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not a scurrilous attack in the slightest, and not unfounded. And, no, I am in no way 'way off base'. Al's fans and cronies will defend him to the death, so I have nothing to present to those people.

Suffice it to say I know numerous individuals who were banned, not for illegal homebrews, but for just disagreeing with AA's trolling moderators and Al's cronies. Alcoholics and other miscreants who are given free reign to call people anything they want (Former Atari employees are the worst offenders). It is a tight-knit clique over there, and if you get out of line in the eyes of you know who, there is a heavy price to be paid.

Sorry, but I've been on Atari Age for probably a decade or more and I have never seen anything close to what you are claiming over there. The only people I have ever seen banned are spammers, people selling illegal or unauthorized items and people who troll to the point where there is really no other option but to ban them. It appears that you probably fit into one of those categories which is why you were likely banned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I only wonder how they have gotten by with infringing on Namco's IP's for so long.
    Says the person that told treismac to go to retrozone and order DK Pie Factory for NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I am a member at Atariage going to be 8 years late November and I have been a lurker there from 2001 to 2005. I never seen what you I have never seen anything close to what you are claiming over there too like bojay1997 mentioned.

I can also tell you that the people that I know that are banned aren't exactly innocent. People that had been banned for trolling to the point of not choice and spamming besides illegal homebrewers.

One of the banned members that wouldn't mention the name actually made a fake Atariage facebook page and committed slander on a moderator at Atariage by falsely calling that person a sex predator on facebook before that facebook page stopped existing. That banned member did that for getting back at Atariage for getting banned and that shows that person had issues outside of the internet by doing that stuff and don't tell me that the people who get banned not for illegal homebrews didn't do any wrong doing as a result.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

way to derail...

either way, the guy got WAY to much exposure, made a copy of a nintendo game, started making money on it, and Nintendo came down on them.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yet a bunch of teenagers with the gall to create a game called Mother 4 don't get a cease and decist.

I know it's different because they're not selling it, but I think having a popular game that purports (whether they are open about it not being official or not, calling it Mother 4 voids that...) to be a sequel to a legendary franchise does more damage to your intellectual property than "Princess Rescue." Mother 4 is a realistic thing that could potentially happen (I know, it is unlikely)... Nintendo is NOT going to make money off of a 2600 Mario clone.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I've been on AA just as long as DP, and you have to be a pretty big prick to get banned over there. It's not arbitrary. Yes they have banned a few long time members, but I'd say the most cited reason is that they distributed prohibited roms, were warned, and kept on doing it. Or they sold something that was prohibited, were warned, and kept doing it.

There was quite a rivalry between AA and DP for a number of years, but it ended 7 or 8 years ago at least.

Let's not get off topic, the a-holes here are NOA!
    Last edited by Greg2600; 09-11-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK