Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAME freaks: What are the best arcade games from the 90s that have never received home ports?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MAME freaks: What are the best arcade games from the 90s that have never received home ports?

Looking for some good 90's games that are still MAME exclusive, for example: Gaiapolis.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bubble Memories was an awesome sequel to Bubble Bobble that never got an actual home port until the age of emulation.

Also (Although this does not count as an actual home port.) there was an unlicensed port of Gaiapolis on the NES by Sachen:

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Some of my favorite MAME games are the Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings trilogy and the Strikers 1945 trilogy. Sonic Wings 1 came to the Super Nintendo, but 2 and 3 never saw a home release.

Strikers 1945 has a confusing port history. Technically, Strikers 1 and 2 both saw PS1 ports, but only in Japan. There was a U.S. port called "Strikers 1945" which was actually Strikers 2. Either way, Strikers 3 has no home port.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bubble Memories was ported to PS2, in fact I have the game... it's called Taito Memories.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    Some of my favorite MAME games are the Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings trilogy and the Strikers 1945 trilogy. Sonic Wings 1 came to the Super Nintendo, but 2 and 3 never saw a home release.

Strikers 1945 has a confusing port history. Technically, Strikers 1 and 2 both saw PS1 ports, but only in Japan. There was a U.S. port called "Strikers 1945" which was actually Strikers 2. Either way, Strikers 3 has no home port.
    They were released on Neo-Geo, I am ignoring those NG games, because I have an AES.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bubble Memories was ported to PS2, in fact I have the game... it's called Taito Memories.
    Yes, but isn't that just an emulated version?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZDog View Post
    Yes, but isn't that just an emulated version?
    Ok, but you know what I mean. Looking for good games that are still MAME exclusive.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off the top of my head, some of my favorite arcade games with no home ports are

Crime Fighters - A 4 player Konami beat-em up I played alot in arcades in the early 90s. It seems pretty generic, but I liked it.

Mystic Warriors - A Konami action game made by the team that made Sunset Riders.

Arabian Fight - Another beat-em up from Sega, it had this weird Mode 7 style scaling thing with all the sprites moving in and out of the foreground.

Vasara 1&2 - Some great ninja themed shooters, sort of like Sengoku Ace/Blade that really should have seen a Sega Saturn of Dreamcast release.

Gunforce II - A very difficult run-n-gun game made by the team that made the Metal Slug games. It's pretty much Meal Slug, though.

Willow - A great Capcom platformer, kinda-sorta like Megaman.
    Last edited by XYXZYZ; 09-12-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AvP and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs still have never had proper home ports iirc. The SNES version of AvP is an abortion

The sun hurts my HP
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Submissive421

Aliens vs Predators. The 1st time I played this I instantly fell in love. I need a custom stand up arcade in my life to play this game properly. One day I will have the funds and room to build this myself

Ninja Baseball Bat Man- I downloaded this after AVGN reviewed it. I thought this game was awesome and sad that it never saw a console port

Killer Instinct Arcade- my boyfriend goes on and on about this game. Yeah its similar to the snes version but he prefers the graphics and smoothness of that game. He wants a proper port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I accidentally stumbled upon a video for a little known arcade shooter called Hotdog Storm. It's a pretty cool shooter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9dFkyh44k

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I accidentally stumbled upon a video for a little known arcade shooter called Hotdog Storm. It's a pretty cool shooter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9dFkyh44k
    I agree! I used to play this at pizza Hut when I was young. Soo much fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

1. Boogie Wings (Data East) = A bizarre side-scrolling shooter where you can jump between vehicles (planes, horses, pogo sticks, cars, etc.) and use those same vehicles (along with scenery) as weapons by throwing them with a giant hook on your biplane (your primary vehicle). I have never seen anything quite like it and it's a blast to play.

2. Shoot Out (Data East) = A detective vs. bad guy shooting game with an angle of looking into the screen (like the arcade game Cable). Nothing really special about it but it is well made and has a certain charm to it.

3. Prop-Cycle (NAmco) = You can get this to work on MAME with reassigning the pedals to the buttons and pressing them rapidly (takes some tweaking though). Works well enough to be a fun diversion.

4. Golgo 13 (Namco Japanese arcade) = Kind of reminds me of Silent Scope. The difference is that each stage is a single-shot mission. It has you do everything from shooting the rope of a man about to be executed to shooting the heel off of a woman's shoe. It's all in Japanese but the the mission briefing has a picture of a target over what you need to hit. I have no clue why you have to shoot the heel off of a woman's shoe but apparently it's important enough to hire a sharpshooting assassin to do it You can use the mouse (which is harder than you would think since most of the targets move) or you can use a PC light gun.
    Last edited by Clownzilla; 09-19-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure of any home versions of Ninja Clowns.

And Golgo 13 is a neat one. I did see it on the SG-1000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

pretty much all of them

I've been playing Capcom's The Punisher and it's very nice. No port that I know of.

Another personal favorite is the Rolling Thunder-like Surprise Attack by Konami.

It's not one of the "best" games or anything, but I'd love to play the Konami M2 3DO games, specifically the lightgun titles - Evil Night / Hell Night (not to be confused with the PlayStation game of the same name) and Total Vice.

A lot of lightgun games never got ports. I actually really like Operation Wolf 3 and Under Fire, with their super-gritty digitized look and easy playability (which ramps up in difficulty nicely on the default setting).

Speaking of Taito, Thunder Fox never got any kind of respectable home port until Taito Legends. The Genesis version is slow and bad. A lot of Taito games suffered this fate, but many of them had no or bad ports initially because they were too demanding (Gun Buster, Night Striker, some other really obscure ones with no or really limited releases) but it's hard to see what the problem could've been with Thunder Fox.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still waiting to see a port of Planet Harriers , also Overdrive by konami , would be nice to get either of these to emulated in mame even.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also Winning Run by Namco, Top Skater, Scud Race by Sega.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by mattmayatt View Post
    Also Winning Run by Namco, Top Skater, Scud Race by Sega.
    I have been trying to try to get my Wii Fit board to work on MAME to play some of the motion games like Top Skater. There are 3rd party PC drivers online but I barley can get my Wimote to work with them (which I have been playing Point Blank with).
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Punisher does have a Genesis port, but it goes in the 50-100 dollar range these days and imo isn't worth it so you're better off just getting it on MAME