Thread: Opps No Game With Case

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Opps No Game With Case

Not counting to complete a game who has accidentally bought a game that was just an empty case. I finally fell for it today for the first time. I hit a thift store and found a few games and the game I was really happy to see was a complete Wings of Wor for the genny. I'm normally rather good with checking but when I got to the car I cracked it open to find a pristine manual but no game. I walked back in and they gave me a refund on it and got to keep the case ^_^ I guess I'm going to have to order the cart online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by DK1105 View Post
    Not counting to complete a game who has accidentally bought a game that was just an empty case. I finally fell for it today for the first time. I hit a thift store and found a few games and the game I was really happy to see was a complete Wings of Wor for the genny. I'm normally rather good with checking but when I got to the car I cracked it open to find a pristine manual but no game. I walked back in and they gave me a refund on it and got to keep the case ^_^ I guess I'm going to have to order the cart online.
    That sucks. I bought a Dreamcast package at the thriftstore once and it had crazy taxi. I got home and found out it was just the case (in great condition too). P.S. I have wings of wor but I don't remember where I got it. All i know is i didn't check until I got home and it was missing only the manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't want to remember how many times I've fell for this at yard sales or flea markets. I think I even forgot to check at Goodwill once. But it's never been where I spent more than a few dollars so ultimately no big lost. I'm much better at checking these days and usually if it's something I want I'll take the case to the counter and they'll just give it to me(at Goodwill atleast) if it's empty because they would be throwing it out anyway.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The people who work at thrift stores are often really smart. Half the time, the game is taped shut and it still has nothing in it.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by peeingas View Post
    The people who work at thrift stores are often really smart. Half the time, the game is taped shut and it still has nothing in it.
    If they tape up a CD case I just slip the hinges from the tray to check out the disc. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I do that too, but they really ought to check and see if something is actually in the case before putting it out. Looks like they are trying to rip people off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they tape it shut, then it becomes un-taped before I pay for it.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went to Play N Trade of all places, and bought a copy of Toy Commander for Dreamcast. I took it back to my apartment, opened it up, and it had a PSM demo disc in it.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

The one time I can recall this happening to me was actually not at a thrift store, but at Wal-Mart. I had bought a bargain bin copy of some Sherlock Holmes movie (not used, freshly sealed) and when I got home it was just the DVD case, no movie. I never bought another bargain movie again.

Had a near-case of this at a local game store once. I almost bought a Mega Man Anniversary Collection from them, but they were good enough to let me check the game and manual... and it turned out, this too was just an empty case. They were as shocked as I was since this was an item they kept behind the counter.

At thrift stores I ALWAYS check. If I can't check, I avoid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    At thrift stores I ALWAYS check.
    And at garage sales, and at flea markets...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I went to Play N Trade of all places, and bought a copy of Toy Commander for Dreamcast. I took it back to my apartment, opened it up, and it had a PSM demo disc in it.
    Thats the other issue. This happens quite often at Goodwill and thrift stores, either because they were donated that way or because someone swapped disc. But at a yard sale one time I forgot to check for the disc of Power Stone 2 for Dreamcast. I know, I'm still beating myself up over that because the seller had alot(hundreds) of games. I forgot which game was in there but had I checked first I could have looked around to see if the game disc was in the case of the game disc that was in my case....if that makes sense.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I hate are stores or thrifts that put the empty case on the floor and the game in a binder or something behind the counter. In my experience, around 80% of the time they won't ever be able to find the disc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

At the Thrift Store I go, They tape up Cases & DVD Based Stuff

Like I mean is having a PS2 Game taking the Game out and Taping it to the Case ..That with the Tape that doesn't come off easy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Weird. I just picked up a boxed copy of wings of wor, no manual. Between the two of us we have a CIB copy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Weird. I just picked up a boxed copy of wings of wor, no manual. Between the two of us we have a CIB copy
    Well in that case I will traded you the manual for the cart. ^_^

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On Friday I found a Lego Batman II DS and of course there was no game inside of it. That same garage sale had discs scattered around loosely in the bucket as well as wrong ones in the cases and sometimes several in a case. Naturally I then stumble across a super rare one, a Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3! Luckily for me it was in perfect shape! I ended up buying around 25 games, memory cards and guides for only $55, but I did have to spend a bit of time straightening everything up there to make sure I didn't have any oopses.

Sadly the next day, I went to this other garage sale and they had a bunch of progressive rock CDs that I really needed for my collection and of course most of the cases were empty. Those that had cds inside were either destroyed with rot, scratched or water damaged. I ended up with only two cds but I would have had bought at least 20 or so. Win some, loose some.

I think the absolute worse though is finding a handheld case and hoping there is a game system inside and finding none. Like 90% of the time there is none! Why cannot people keep a case with their system?

Has anyone intentionally bought a game knowing that the wrong one was inside? A few weeks ago I picked up the PS2 Growlanser Heritage of War Limited Edition box set, but I looked inside and found a PS2 Baroque. I needed both games and it was only $3 so I was not about to bitch, but at the same time I dared not to ask for the right disc and have it taken away from me. This actually had happened to me early in the year with a Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I found one but of course it was empty. I was hoping they would either go and find the game or let me have the box, but they took it away from me and kept the case. I was pretty pissed off as even the empty case is worth money.

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had that happen to me at the flea market one time. (Actually, the guy has a small game store he runs on Monday-Friday and does the flea market on Saturday and Sunday.) I bought from him many times before. Nice guy who isn't exactly 100% knowledgeable about games but knows enough to not trust eBay pricing. He had in his store a "sealed" copy of Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game for Sega Saturn. It was only $5 and I wanted to expand my Saturn library, so it was a no-brainer. I get it home, excitedly open it, and find only a manual! I called him up immediately and he said bring it by and I could get something else if I wanted or get my money back. Apparently, he bought a bunch off a guy and got okey-doked apparently. I almost just bought the disc online but the cheapest one was TWICE what it was worth! I just opted to switch it out for the same game on the Genesis (and of course I know its not REALLY the same game since the Genesis is the older system and it doesn't look quite as nice).
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I checked before I purchased but I found a copy of the Zelda Collectors edition at a local thrift store for $2! Unfortunitly, the case did not have the discs in it. However, since it had the manual it was still well worth the $2 I eventually paid for it. Just had to find the discs elsewhere. As for the sealed cases, I always take a pocket knife with me when used game hunting.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    If they tape it shut, then it becomes un-taped before I pay for it.
    THIS. I always flip open CD cases and stuff at thrift stores before I buy it, because I've been burned enough times on stuff like that. Especially since the Goodwill near where I live charges $3.25 per "video game" regardless of whether it's an entire Everquest package, or some junky old Atari 2600 cart that looks like it was spilled on a dozen times, then rolled around in the dirt.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I purchased Yakuza 2 from Best Buy, seemingly factory sealed.
    Sold it on eBay unopened a year later to a guy in Europe.
    He emailed saying that there was no game in the case.
    Now I am very sure to always rattle a DVD case to be sure I can hear the disc in there.